Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 93099 times)

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: D1 - Courtroom Brawl
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »

Unvote

Supercharizard - Hiding something?

Taricus - Nothing to add?  At least he included a decent RVS question when he stacked votes.   Jumping on an easy target like that, without even contributing to the investigation, is downright lazy, and terribly scummy.  Try again.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 04:45:38 pm »

Okami No Rei - True, however at this stage we have no idea on how everyone plays. Better to get an insight now than getting one too late.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »

Jim Groovester, what you need the information about the doctor for?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 05:18:17 pm »

Okami No Rei - True, however at this stage we have no idea on how everyone plays. Better to get an insight now than getting one too late.

I'm not sure you understood me.  Let me reiterate.  YOU are being lazy and scummy by bandwagoning Supercharazad without even offering a question.

"Hiding something?" is not a question.  He's not hiding something unless he's scum or he's cop/doctor.  Either way, he's certainly not going to tell you.

Just as you are seeking insight into everyone, so do we need insight in you.  Why would you be exempt from this?  Participate.  Ask questions.   Answer them.  You haven't even responded to Toaster's query yet:
Taricus:  What do you think is the best way to hunt scum?

...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 05:33:38 pm »

Okami No Rei -

You haven't even responded to Toaster's query yet:
Wait, that wasn't a theoretical question, crap. (I'm talking about toasters by the way). So one bad question is what makes you suspisous then. Fair point too though so...

Unvote Supercharizard

Toaster - The way I think is best is to listen, read and wait. Pounce once they have given themselves away and utterly destroy them. Do not let them escape with anyones support.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »

oh hey. looks like we started.
So, Heliman, you've been in the last Beginner's Mafia, with the ICs we have, so who do you think us newbies should watch out for?
Who should you watch out for? Everyone! look at everybody! Everyone here has a chance of being scum, you need to look at them all and see for yourself! That's mafia!

Heliman, if you were scum, would you be annoyed that you were singled out in the flavour text?
Flavor text is just that, flavor text. Wouldn't be worried at all.

But you tell me, Toaster if I were scum, would you be a good partner to me?
Anzki4, Toaster is an IC, are you doubting his ability to play already?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 05:58:00 pm »

Since this seems to have been lost on some:

You only have one vote. Use it well.

For my sanity's sake, please Unvote before casting a new one.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:14 pm »

Think0028, unvote Heliman Ok, not exactly what I meant, but fair enough. Think, what would your favorite role be to have?

PFP.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »

Jim Groovester, what you need the information about the doctor for?

It's a hypothetical question designed to give me insight into how Think0028 thinks0028. I'm not actually looking for information about the Doctor.

Toaster - The way I think is best is to listen, read and wait. Pounce once they have given themselves away and utterly destroy them. Do not let them escape with anyones support.

What if the scum don't give themselves away so easily?

Well, then you're fucked.

The passive approach to scumhunting fails miserably against all scum save for completely new, never played a mafia before, scum. You can't expect that the scum will make mistakes for you. You have to press players and ask them prodding questions and keep them off balance, and otherwise force them into making revealing mistakes. Otherwise, you'll never find scum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 07:48:04 pm »

The passive approach to scumhunting fails miserably against all scum save for completely new, never played a mafia before, scum. You can't expect that the scum will make mistakes for you. You have to press players and ask them prodding questions and keep them off balance, and otherwise force them into making revealing mistakes. Otherwise, you'll never find scum.

*False at very advanced levels

Carry on :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 08:09:16 pm »

Stay active. Do all that you can to keep the conversation moving, preferably in a direction you want to take it. If you're not sure what to do, look through everybody's posts, ask questions about them, or ask for opinions about other players. If you're not active, you won't find scum. What's worse, you'll look like scum.

Quoted for truth.  I forgot this one, so let me say it too-  STAY ACTIVE!  You don't have to monitor this thread 24/7, but the general baseline for effort is one solid content-filled post every day- weekends you can slip a bit, but not weekdays.  More, of course, is always welcome.  Near day end and game end, try to put in more than that baseline.

Moving on...

anzki4:
anzki4:  If you were scum, what qualities would you like in your scum partner?

If I were scum, I would prefer my partner to be someone deceptive, who knows how to lie.
But you tell me, Toaster if I were scum, would you be a good partner to me?

Fair enough.  Unvote anzki4.

I consider my scum game superior to my town game, so I sure hope so.  I can scum hunt just fine on both sides of the fence, but I tend to fail at actually hitting the scum.

Taricus:

I'm not sure you understood me.  Let me reiterate.  YOU are being lazy and scummy by bandwagoning Supercharazad without even offering a question.

"Hiding something?" is not a question.  He's not hiding something unless he's scum or he's cop/doctor.  Either way, he's certainly not going to tell you.

Just as you are seeking insight into everyone, so do we need insight in you.  Why would you be exempt from this?  Participate.  Ask questions.   Answer them.  You haven't even responded to Toaster's query yet:

What he said.  Remember that you don't have to vote someone to ask them a question.  My personal preference is bold to get someone's attention, but use whatever you like (besides colors.  Red is voting and blue is unofficially the color of the Finger of Suspicion- when you want to indicate that you strongly suspect someone but for some reason aren't voting them.)

I have basically the same objection as Jim to this answer.  I have never been a fan of sitting around waiting for scum to screw up.  Now I will hold back a bit if I know something (usually role-based) and am trying to lead the target into screwing up, but even so I will still follow up on other leads. 

Jim G:  Would you enjoy the chance to be scum in this game to be able to personally tutor someone in the way of scum as well as teaching everyone how to be town?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »

So one bad question is what makes you suspisous then. Fair point too though so...
0.o

Fair point?  I just accused you of being bandwagoning scum, and you're agreeing with me?

Unvote Supercharizard

Why are you dropping your attack on Supercharizad?   I never said you were wrong to do it, I said you were lazy for not putting any meat behind the inquisition.  Why'd you vote him in the first place if you weren't interested in questioning him?  Why aren't you questioning anyone right now?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 08:23:56 pm »

Okami No Rei - No substance to the attack, and not very convincing argument means it'll fall through.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

Okami No Rei - No substance to the attack, and not very convincing argument means it'll fall through.
Are you talking about my attack on you, or are you answering my question?  Either way, it's RVS.  I'm pushing you for a lead because you might be scum, and you might slip and give me something solid to work with.  You need to do the same.  Take your minor suspicions and substance-less attacks and use them as tools to harvest material for convincing arguments and uncover solid evidence.

You still haven't addressed the primary concern.  Are you bandwagoning scum or aren't you?  If not, why?

Answering the following might help your case:
Why'd you vote him in the first place if you weren't interested in questioning him?  Why aren't you questioning anyone right now?

You're activelurking right now, which only benefits the scum.  Defend yourself!  Attack somebody!  Do something!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »

Okami No Rei - The minute I tell everyone I'm not scum is the minute I get lynced completely. And I-hell with it.

Okami No Rei Nothing personal, though I'm getting a bit suspicious of you...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32