Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 94965 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: The Birth of Great Nations
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:28 pm »

I'll trade you my IC spot and take over for Vengeful if you're interested.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »

I'll trade you my IC spot and take over for Vengeful if you're interested.

Prolly not a good idea... I mean, we're really leaving soon and I strongly suspect that I'm going to be without a net connection for the vast bulk of the time I'm there.

But thanks for the offer!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:41 am »

Alright, if I happen to run BMXXIV I'll sign you up as IC then.

Feel free to apply for a spot once the inevitable replaces happen.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »

Spoilspec me on this one, if ya don't mind.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 09:20:11 am »

Day 1 Has Begun!

Votecount:
Think0028 - 0 -
Supercharazard - 0 -
Okami No Rei - 0 -
Powder Miner - 0 -
Taricus - 0 -
Heliman - 0 -
anzki4 - 0 -
Jim Groovester - 0 -
Toaster - 0 -

Not Voting - 0 -
No Lynch  - 0 -

Extend  - 0 -
Shorten  - 0 -

“Greetings to all ye who here hath gathered today.”

The King rose from his throne, and addressed the group of nobles brought before him. There was little banter, and the nobles looked at their King with worry; he had faced colder winters as of late, and it seemed unlikely that he would survive another.

“What have you for us, my liege? Is it about the heir?”

“Indeed it is, Heliman, my son.”

He walked down from the raised platform and began to shout, face flushing red and shaking. “For in this court resides two assassins, present even now amongst you, who sought to kill me!”

His voice grew louder, and he sat back down on the throne. “And since it is your doing, by way of ill will or incompetence, none of you will leave until you find and kill these assassins yourselves.”

He gestured toward the doors, and two heavily armed guards closed them, standing by.

“Let it begin.”

The Day will end Tuesday, 8PM GMT.

You need 3 to Extend and 5 to Shorten.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: D1 - Courtroom Brawl
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:59 am »

If I'm understanding RVS correctly....

So, Heliman, you've been in the last Beginner's Mafia, with the ICs we have, so who do you think us newbies should watch out for?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 11:10:17 am »

If I'm understanding RVS correctly....

So, Heliman, you've been in the last Beginner's Mafia, with the ICs we have, so who do you think us newbies should watch out for?
Don't worry about trying to understand RVS. Just try to get a feel for what other players are doing. Are they trying to fit in? Are they trying to find information? Look at what they do and how they do it.

RVS isn't really all that scary in other games. You just gotta know what to do with it.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 11:23:14 am »

OK then. Just gonna wait for Heliman to answer.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »

Welcome to Mafia!

As you should be aware, there are two teams- town and scum.  The town's goal is to find and lynch the scum.  The scum's goal is to successfully masquerade as town long enough to win.

As town, your primary and only goal is to hunt scum.  This is more important than everything else, including your survival.  If the mafia is scared enough of you to kill you, you've done a good job and should take it as a compliment to your abilities.  Do not fear death- fear not finding scum.

That said, how do you find scum?  Question, question, question.  Study people's motives.  Look for people who are either insincere about finding scum or who seemed overly concerned with their survival and/or image.  If someone says something that seems off or unusual to you, ask them about it!  Examine the logic people use to reach their conclusions.  If it's faulty, it could be a sign of scum trying to mislead.

Look also for people who are not truly scum hunting, but just trying to pretend like they are.  That is a big warning sign.

Don't read too much into who was chosen to be killed at night.  You can never be sure why the scum team picked that person, so trying to find scum by who they killed will only lead you in circles.

Finally, have fun!  It's a game- you should enjoy yourself!

Everything above is given to you as a completely impartial person who wants you to learn how to play and become skilled in the game.  I'm here to teach, but I am also a player.  Remember, it is possible for the ICs to be scum.  By the same token, we are most concerned about you becoming good players here- we will not mislead you with bad advice if either of us are scum.  Our playing advice is in 100% good faith, but you should still study our arguments to see if they hold water.

One piece of advice to the scum team:  The best way for you to win is to make everyone think you're town.  Do that by hunting scum just as you would if you were town.  I find it best as scum to not think about your alignment while reading the thread for scummy behavior.  Don't be afraid to hound your partner if he does something scummy.

Final word:  How someone answers a question is as important as the answer itself.  Did they react like they were hiding something?  Did the question unnerve them?

Now, to the game!  Generally, we here at Bay 12 open up by picking someone semi-arbitrarily, voting them, and asking them a question.  Don't feel limited to a single question, though.  Here's my opener for example:

anzki4:  If you were scum, what qualities would you like in your scum partner?

Taricus:  What do you think is the best way to hunt scum?

OK then. Just gonna wait for Heliman to answer.

Sitting around and waiting is passive.  Don't feel you can't do anything else while waiting for an answer- go question someone else.  You don't have to vote someone to question them.

Good luck and have fun!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »

Think no Rei how do you think this game is going to go?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 02:29:58 pm »

Heliman, if you were scum, would you be annoyed that you were singled out in the flavour text?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 03:05:46 pm »

Well, poo. Toaster got the opening IC post first. Had I been first here's what I would have put down. It's mostly a reinforcement of everything Toaster already said.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll reiterate some key points that Toaster said, because they bear repeating for ever and ever.

You find scum by asking questions. Ask questions about anything that looks odd to you. And I do mean anything. Oftentimes it's the more subtler signals that give away scum. You might not know what these subtle signals are yet, but you want to get in the habit of asking about them anyway.

Stay active. Do all that you can to keep the conversation moving, preferably in a direction you want to take it. If you're not sure what to do, look through everybody's posts, ask questions about them, or ask for opinions about other players. If you're not active, you won't find scum. What's worse, you'll look like scum.

I hope I've communicated clearly enough the importance of asking questions and staying active.

Think0028, let's say you're the Doctor. What criteria would you use to make a decision about who to protect, and why?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »

Okami no Rei how do you think this game is going to go?
Well.  As long as the fresh blood doesn't develop chronic lurkitis,  I like the mix of experience I'm looking at.  This will be an interesting game.

Supercharazad - Stacking votes already?  Interesting.  In your opinion, how many votes constitutes a bandwagon in nine player RVS?

Think0028 - Have you read though any games Heliman played?  Would you rather be on his team as town or scum?
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 03:53:01 pm »

Supercharizard - Hiding something?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »

anzki4:  If you were scum, what qualities would you like in your scum partner?

If I were scum, I would prefer my partner to be someone deceptive, who knows how to lie.
But you tell me, Toaster if I were scum, would you be a good partner to me?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32