Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: So why do people have posters in their bedrooms?  (Read 11555 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So why do people have posters in their bedrooms?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 01:08:39 am »

I just realized why I've got nothing on my wall or anywhere else.

It all goes on my computer case, which I didn't even THINK about during my last post. It's currently got a a dozen clay and wax mushrooms of various types on top of it, a paper mache burrower worm from Starship troopers, a frog surrounded by more mushrooms, a gryphon woodburned onto a slice of log taped to the side, a sluggyPawnz robot guy, a smiley face made from red duct tape, a cardboard+ducttape cellphone charge, and a doduo. There used to be a giant Startship troopers Warrior bug looming over everything, but I don't know where that went.

Chunes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:43 am »

I'm with the OP. I prefer my walls bare, or at least, I don't see what's wrong with them that way.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 10:59:46 am »

In my dorm room I have no posters, or, for that matter, any kind of decorative stuff.

At home I have a couple of diagrams, two drawings I made, a black hole postcard I bought in 2001 in the British Museum, and my cabinet of curiosities.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 02:48:45 pm »

I'm with the OP. I prefer my walls bare, or at least, I don't see what's wrong with them that way.
This. And my Dad hates it.

I have no idea why he thinks bare walls are ugly. They aren't. they're bare. Ugly would be plastering them with peeling pictures of semi-attractive women on cars I don't enjoy looking at that I wouldn't have a chance with anyway, or peppering them with nerdy shit like the starwars posters I got some while ago.

Frankly I could care less about how attractive my room is to other people. It's my room, and I'm moving out in a year or so (hopefully), and I'd rather it be nice and blank for my sister when she comes in than put up posters that will gather naught but scorn from everyone.

So yeah, life's cool.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »

I have some drawings and paintings I've got from friends. One of Cthulhu, one of an angel, one of a tongue with a syringe stabbed through it, one of someone getting their back slit with a razor, and one abstract painting I got from a girl at a kindergarten I worked at.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 03:32:44 pm »

I have no idea why he thinks bare walls are ugly. They aren't. they're bare. Ugly would be plastering them with peeling pictures of semi-attractive women on cars I don't enjoy looking at that I wouldn't have a chance with anyway, or peppering them with nerdy shit like the starwars posters I got some while ago.

You could always, y'know, hang up stuff you think would be cool.  There's no fucking rule that it has to be car-mag pinups and nerd shit.  Just look at my Budweiser neon sign, or Spanish longsword.  That's the whole point, personalize; it doesn't have to be whatever your cynicism tells you is "normal".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 04:55:20 pm »

I've got a few nautical things up on my walls (ocean views, boat stuff, a functional analog barometer that helps predict the weather, and a display with all different knots). If anything, the only real stuff of mine that is up is a drawing of a road train kind of thing I drew based off of that one Assault level in Unreal2k4 and a drawing of an airship both made long ago when I was drawing like a madman.

The nautical setup was basically a design scheme that apparently was laid out when I took the room, I didn't bother messing with it though and worked around it.

EDIT:
Yeah, I think my drawing was supposed to be a passenger liner version of the repair vessel in that level. At least, that's how I drew it as. It was wall-worthy because I did it pretty darn well in one pass in ink, and on a pretty large piece of paper as well. Couldn't fit it on my scanner. At least, not without having to stitch it together a bit on the computer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:43:20 pm by Itnetlolor »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 05:14:42 pm »

a drawing of a road train kind of thing I drew based off of that one Assault level in Unreal2k4
Hahahah.
AS-Convoy is best convoy.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »

My walls have a strip of half-torn-down teddy bear wallpaper at around chest height, a relic of the previous owner, as well as a poster with fingerings for every guitar chord and a lined sheet of paper with random crap written on it.

Oh, and one of those old NOVA TOTIVS TERRARVM ORBIS GEOGRAPHICA AC HYDROGRAPHICA TABVLA maps, that don't have Australia or Antarctica, in a frame.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:16:06 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:43 pm »

You could always, y'know, hang up stuff you think would be cool.  There's no fucking rule that it has to be car-mag pinups and nerd shit.  Just look at my Budweiser neon sign, or Spanish longsword.  That's the whole point, personalize; it doesn't have to be whatever your cynicism tells you is "normal".

I have to agree with Aqizzar, Karne. Your post made you seem like you're a bit insecure about the things you like and your sexual prowess.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

I used to have a spitfire painting in my room at home, mainly just because we already had not because I went out of my way to get it. I've never seen the point of posters either.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 08:14:04 pm »

I have to agree with Aqizzar, Karne. Your post made you seem like you're a bit insecure about the things you like and your sexual prowess.
I'm just not good at communicating myself.

It's not that I'm ashamed to put up what I like. It's that the things I like don't really have anything to put up. DF doesn't have any posters, nor do I have any way to make one from scratch, and I don't want to waste money on a MSPA poster.

Besides, I just would rather my walls blank in any case. Too many posters would keep me distracted when I was trying to sleep.

Grakelin what were you saying about my sexual prowess? Not cool, bro. Not cool.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »

I've always considered myself more into baubles than posters, but I have stuff on all the walls and more on the ground. My room and bookcases aren't very poster-shaped. I've got some trophies, including one I remember I spent 1000 tickets on at Illusionz when I was ten or something. There's an NRA badge/certificate, and more importantly the target I got it for (five .22s under the space of a runty dime). What everyone seems to notice is that I have a shit ton of lego models taking up most of my bookshelf. I used to build those like crazy and I absolutely refused to take them apart.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:34 pm »

When i was younger I always had random shit in my room on shelves, fossils, bones and skulls i had found, agates, a elk-foot mounted with eyes attached to it.  When I went to college my roommate and I printed off all the terraserver (pre-google earth satellite image database) images of our city and pieced them together across our entire dorm wall.  It was actually very useful, as we could always give people really good directions, and show them the route they needed to take.

When they are interesting things they can serve a functional purpose, as well as keep people fascinated with you when you aren't even interacting with them.

We also built a pair of platforms, put our beds on the floor and put our computer desks on the platforms over our beds, giving us enough space for a hideabed, refrigerator and  entertainment system in a tiny dorm room.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »

I have a poster of Kenpachi, and a few drawing of myself from artists at anime conventions.
The poster is because looking at the poster is pleasing to me, the drawings are for the same reason, mixed with something resembling pride at meeting an actual artist, and having them draw something for me specifically.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4