Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: So why do people have posters in their bedrooms?  (Read 11550 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: So why do people have posters in their bedrooms?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 03:49:16 am »

I've always been a paint-and-photographs person. Or vinyl stick-on GI Joe characters. But that was a long time ago.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 06:44:55 am »

My mounted jackelope head and Camel Cigarettes lamp

You sir, have excellent taste.

I have a love of cartography, so before it was my son's nursery, I had the walls of my 'office' adorned with various maps. Ancient maps of the world, NASA imagery maps of the world, maps of Mars and the Moon, a map of the Graveyard of the Atlantic, travel maps of cities I've spent time in such as Prague, Beijing, Shanghai, Adelaide, etc.

I never quite understood the "sexy chick" poster thing. True, for some bizarre reason my first two posters that adorned my room at home when I was a teen were posters of Cindy Crawford and Kathy Ireland. I'm not even sure why, and I think my folks were fine with it simply because it was some evidence that I was actually interested in the opposite sex. But those went in the trashcan when I moved to college, and pretty much nobody in my dorm had those kind of posters. But then we were the special dorm composed mostly of bright social misfits. On the rare occasions when I visited "normal" dorms, those and beer-related posters were pretty much de rigeur.

I think at some level, at least in college, it's a peer pressure thing and a cheap and easy form of group ID.

"I am a young male who is interested in sex and alcohol!"
"Yes, I too am a a young male who is interested in those things."
"Let us be friends, since we are interested in the same things...and are forced by necessity to live together in cramped quarters for the next several months."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 06:46:23 am »

I have posters on my walls because there is no way to sleep in knowing that a Paul Robertson poster is watching. Fuck, I wouldn't sleep if I had a choice!

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 12:09:23 pm »

I grew up in a room that previously belonged to my older brother.  He put 2 inch cork board over one entire wall.  It was made to be a shrine to stuff I thought was cool.  Zeppelin posters, Paulina Porizkova posters, far side comics, street signs, mounted head and antlers of the first deer I hunted, a giant cloth 8x8 Davinci Vitruvian man, a target for throwing knives and suriken at (again, remember, two inch cork on the walls!   :D  ), pictures of me riding horses with my parents out hunting foxes (this was back in 75, i was a little kid and fox hunting was still possible in Texas) and pictures of me sailing (my parents next hobby).  Photographs of the airplanes my grandfather designed and built at a very well known engineering and manufaturing company he owned in Texas during WW2, more street signs from Manhattan Beach Ca, where my sisters moved to when I was 4, goofy drawings,  odd momento's, curio's and stuff i found intersting, the entire guitar tablature for "Stairway to Heaven" when I was learning how to play, love letters from my girlfriend..........and more stuff.  yeah, it was a big freaking wall, plus i used some other space as well.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 12:18:42 pm »

Letsee... I have a cross-section poster of a british WWII era cruiser, a Halo: Combat Evolved poser, a Warhammer poster, and a demotivational calender
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 12:27:15 pm »

I miss the swag (posters included) that used to come with games. Origin knew how to do swag right. Posters, cloth maps, parchment spellbooks...

I remember Mobius had a poster and a sweet ninja headband that I actually wore when playing the game.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 12:44:47 pm »

I have this picture blown up to 6 feet wide on my wall.  It's a rasterbation, but a really high quality one (I trimmed all the pages so the picture would fit together properly).  Also a Hellacopters poster, a trio of gorgeous New Belgium beer posters that I picked up for 50 cents each, and the famous "I want you for the Navy" poster that I like despite it being really generic.

The blimp poster in particular kicks the whole room up a notch.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »

I have one poster, and I don't really like it in and of itself but the patch of wall next to my computer was really weird aesthetically, and the post has some smooth lines in the right colors.

I honestly almost never have any wall decorations because I absolutely abhor "stuff" in general. When I do decorate, I much prefer paint and stylistic swathes of color to give the room a sort of dynamism. I've only got that one poster up now because this is an apartment where I am not allowed to paint the walls, so I need to fake it.

I think its just that most people like collecting, and part of the collecting habit involves showing it off. They like having things that are theirs and they like having it displayed so they can be reminded that that nice thing is actually theirs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »

I currently only own one poster, that of Gemini Sunrise from the box set of Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love.

It's such an expensive poster, as the box set cost 40$, that I simply can't bear to even puncture a pin sized hole in it to hang it up on my wall. I've heard that there are poster frames that I can buy, but I'm too embarrassed to go out of my way to get one and hang it up.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 05:30:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:45:57 pm by Stany »

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »

I currently don't have any posters up, mostly due to extreme apathy and unwillingness to do anything work-like. One of my old bedrooms had a Wanted poster for Flat Eric and this guy who looked really stoned. Wish I knew where it went.

Maybe you could compensate for blank walls by having a few rolled up posters, and say you never manage to get round to putting them up? As a bonus, you can use them for impromptu swordfights.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 06:11:22 pm »

I have posters, pictures of things I drew when I was in middle school, some motivational plank-of-wood-thing, awards I've gotten over the ages, old Christmas cards, pictures of my dog.... all up on my wall. Because I'm too lazy to take them off and I don't want my room to have completely white walls.

The sad part is my room used to have this really cool splatter-painting all over it - it was fun to just connect splatters and imagine what they could be, sort of like one big Rorschach test, except without actually being tested. But then my mom decided to repaint, and what do I get but the boring old white walls we have all around the rest of the dang house. Seriously, the only room with colored walls is my sister's and she's gone through like 6 coats of colored wall-paint already :<
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 10:36:00 pm »

My walls look weird. Two are painted white, another used to have wallpaper, and one is in the process of losing its shit. The used-to-have-wallpaper wall suddenly sloughed off all of it's wallpaper four years ago in one big wave. Since then, I've been able to drive in a couple nails to hold up a calendar and a family photo. The shit-losing wall almost lost all of its wallpaper, but the rest partially tore off with it. Underneath this paper is a second coat of the most horrific and florid wallpaper I have ever seen. Beneath that is bright flamingo pink paint, only visible in splotches. Those splotches were covered by three gigantic Spongebob Squarepants posters when I was in 5th grade or so, and I haven't taken them down yet. I also have a little plaque that reads, "Cluttered homes are happy homes... mine's delirious!" It's pretty fitting. Just yesterday I found something I swear I've never seen before - a large brass crucifix nailed to one of the white walls. I promptly donated it to the church across the street and found a new place to hang my bling all in one fell swoop.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:50 am »

Currently in my room at college:

One vase extremely dead flowers
Two photographs of mathematical grandfather, whom I am said to resemble because we both apparently have armor-piercing eyes
Calendar in Russian, hanging lopsidedly from one nail
Assorted gaudy and terrible decorations (small animal suctioned to window, wall scroll, little rhomboid ornament thing with red tassel) from Chinese New Year as celebrated in Hong Kong
Stuffed animal hedgehog holding rose

Why is the stuff in here?  Well, because I want to defeat my grandfather, first off.  The other stuff reminds me of my family.  Most of the time I don't even perceive it, because my life is sort of consumed by get up => food => do stuff, and that usually doesn't involve a slow perusal of the walls.  But when I look around at my room and I'm thinking about a problem, it really helps sometimes to have things to look at.  And, when it doesn't help to look at things, I can just close my eyes and that pretty much does the trick.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 12:57:36 am »

If you're like me, you probably never had or have posters because you don't spend a lot of time in your room. I've decorated spaces I frequent, such as the little corner dens in our homes where my computer was situated, but hardly ever bothered with my room (though I had a lot of Pokemon and Einstein stuff my mother gave me when I was before eleven). In my room right now I have a framed poster of a play I was in once and (I think) a Picasso or two which somebody left behind when they moved back to Finland. This far exceeds anything I've ever had before.

You might also be a transitional person who has moved around a lot. This was another factor in me never putting anything up.

I like bookshelves, though. And I have a mask I recently made and a sculpture of a vagina with teeth on my walls in my den.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4