Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hypothetical question: Armageddon  (Read 3219 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical question: Armageddon
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 03:59:07 am »

If Osiris, Anubis, and Horus come down and tell us all 'Hey guys, what the hell! We look away for a few thousand years and your all worshipping some other douche! We made everything! Bitches!" then hell, I would get a fake beard and start putting my ancestors remains in jars.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:41 am »

If Osiris, Anubis, and Horus come down and tell us all 'Hey guys, what the hell! We look away for a few thousand years and your all worshipping some other douche! We made everything! Bitches!" then hell, I would get a fake beard and start putting my ancestors remains in jars.
Don't forget to build a pyramid for your cat.

With our luck, the real gods will turn out to be some obscure Proto-Hittite pantheon that only about a dozen scholars on the planet have even heard of. So when they return and demand that we show proper obeisance, we'll be standing around going "Huh? Who the hell are these guys?" until they get bored and wipe us out for taking too long.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 06:15:05 am »

A handful of scholars and they might be giants!

Yea, they fit that into a song, impressive much?

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 07:14:08 am »

I currently don't believe in any higher power type stuff. If one did appear I would be suspicious and even if the entity turned out to be a nice guy I wouldn't worship it. I would try to find a way to stop the end of days I guess. If the entity in question was the cause or impeded my efforts I would be opposed to it. Heh, if and insect can kill a man whos to say a man can't kill a god?
My personality profile.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 07:55:29 am »

Hey, question: by realizing that your previous religious position is wrong, haven't you in effect abandoned your previous religious position?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 09:21:55 am »

Hey, question: by realizing that your previous religious position is wrong, haven't you in effect abandoned your previous religious position?

Not really.  I choose to believe that people are generally caring and decent.  On an intellectual level I know this is not so, but I'm sure as hell not abandoning the belief.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 12:36:44 pm »

Hardcore evangelicals always seem to think that other people are refusing to follow Jesus either because they don't understand his message (and if they did they'd convert, duh) or because they're just bad people who are rejecting salvation just to be pricks. Obviously this isn't the case; anybody who genuinely believes in Jesus would have a hard time not following him to some degree. So yeah, if he showed up on a shiny magic throne with freaky-ass angels carrying him and angels started pouring out bowls of tribulation, hell yeah I'd convert. What else would there be to do when he obviously existed and was God?

Of course, Revelation seems to imply that everybody who's not already Christian would for some reason continue to not believe - I guess the first-century Christians had that same bizarre worldview as today's Bible thumpers.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:40:52 pm »

I would first need a conclusive answer to just what verses in the Bible (assuming a biblical god) and what interpretations of them are true, because if only those of Jewish origin are going to heaven (you never know) then there's not much sense in converting, now is there?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »

And difference conversion from... realization, I guess. AKA: it's quite possible that someone who was skeptical might think "Wow. So the Ismailian Muslims/Jews/Scientologists were right: it is judgement day", but wouldn't convert because he nonetheless doesn't agree with the religion's tenets
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 02:02:14 pm »

I dunno, the fact of any deity revealing themselves as in fact existing would convince me to buy into their tenets, too, assuming they could back it up with some logic. Most religions are at least fairly internally logical.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »

I wouldn't necessarily do that. I wouldn't necessarily agree with someting just because, for instance, Raptor Jesus said it. I might comply out of fear of retribution, but that's not the same as agreeing.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 02:28:34 pm »

Eh, hell doesn't sound so bad. At least it's assumed to have heating, and all the cool people go there in a sense.
Blargh.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:50 am »

I end up declaring war on God, just because my "religious belief" is phrased in such a way that I believe in a God of ultimate good. Anything else would either not be a god, or be evil, and hence humanity's enemy.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 06:51:31 am »

I dunno, the fact of any deity revealing themselves as in fact existing would convince me to buy into their tenets, too, assuming they could back it up with some logic. Most religions are at least fairly internally logical.
What if He reveals that logic is the work of the devil and that anyone thinking logical goes to hell?

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:05 am »

Don't forget to build a pyramid for your cat.

With our luck, the real gods will turn out to be some obscure Proto-Hittite pantheon that only about a dozen scholars on the planet have even heard of. So when they return and demand that we show proper obeisance, we'll be standing around going "Huh? Who the hell are these guys?" until they get bored and wipe us out for taking too long.

If so, the outcome you described is inevitable. Those ancient Canaanite/Semitic/Hittite gods were fucking DICKS. Human sacrifice, wiping people off the earth for minor offenses, the whole deal. I sure hope they aren't real.
Pages: 1 [2] 3