Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hypothetical question: Armageddon  (Read 3214 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Hypothetical question: Armageddon
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:24 am »

Let's assume it's the end of days, and you come to realize that your religion (or lack thereof) is wrong. What do you suppose you would do?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical question: Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:57 am »

Convert?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:56:23 am »

Sounds pretty simple to me; I'd stay as I am. We're all cogs in the machine and never more so than in the eyes of God. (In other words, if I have a job, I'm going to do it; it doesn't matter what that entails. Other people can take the glory if I'm wrong as, well, they're almost me anyway, what difference does it make?)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:17:29 am »

Sounds pretty simple to me; I'd stay as I am. We're all cogs in the machine and never more so than in the eyes of God. (In other words, if I have a job, I'm going to do it; it doesn't matter what that entails. Other people can take the glory if I'm wrong as, well, they're almost me anyway, what difference does it make?)

But that solution assumes a monotheistic deterministic faith to be the correct one. What if one day it was just - Boom, Ragnarok. Would you count on a just and reasonable God to sort that mess out? You don't get into Valhalla by letting other people take the glory, let me tell ya.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:19:34 am »

Lucky for me, I believe in all gods evenly.

So I should be fine.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:19:50 am »

My beliefs are constantly changing as new information is found and new concepts come to mind.  Fixed beliefs have always seemed too stagnant for me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 01:22:00 am »

Say "GODDAMN YOU, ATHEISM!" and convert.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:30:56 am »

But that solution assumes a monotheistic deterministic faith to be the correct one. What if one day it was just - Boom, Ragnarok. Would you count on a just and reasonable God to sort that mess out? You don't get into Valhalla by letting other people take the glory, let me tell ya.

I think you have the wrong idea. I approached the question as a simple philosophical one. I suppose another way of putting it is a little like natural selection - some win, some lose. It's not so much opportunity as chance.

...I'm not exactly expressing myself well. Let me try that again... the crux of my argument is that there is no immediately discernable "right", and therefore the mantle of "right" falls to culture, individual etc. (yes, I know this may sound irrelevant, but hear me out). There is a "right", out there, somewhere, but until somebody finds it (and whatever doing so entails), I have to make a decision as to what is "right" (via culture, experience etc.) and stick by it. The point is not whether I'm "right" or not; it's that I contributed to the overall... "pool of thought" shared by humanity, and contributed to the chances of the real "right" being found (or whatever we think is the "real right" at that point in time).

In the relevant instance, I had a chance of picking the right faith, and I (hopefully) picked the one I thought as the right choice. Picking the right faith would be nice for me. Simple probability declares that (even if only known current and past faiths are considered) the chances that I actually picked the right faith are very small. If I didn't pick the right one, then it's obviously bugger to me on the big night, but what am I? I'm just another lottery ticket. I served my purpose.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:33:16 am by 3 »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:38:39 am »

Simple: TO SCIENCE! Time to experiment and discover which aspects of which beliefs are correct and false ^^

That's basically how I view matters of 'faith', "It's not been proven or disproven so like the existence of invisible pink unicorns I'm going to assume the negative until you can prove the positive". If something were to prove the existence of a diety, I'd be fine with that. Heck, it'd be a fascinating new realm to study.

Then again I don't think I'd be able to honestly "worship" such a being even if it outright demanded worship. If it requires worship, it isn't truly all powerful, therefore not worthy of worship. If it doesn't, it shouldn't care so why worship it? if it threatens me with annihilation if I don't worship, all my worship would be dishonest and therefore not worship at all.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:50:57 am by MorleyDev »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 01:43:36 am »

From zero to full religious debate in only eight responses.

Oh wait, I suppose some one needs to really respond to him to make it a debate...

From zero to some one trying to espouse his views on religion in the wrong thread for that in eight responses. Way to go!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:49:45 am »

If that's aimed at me...Well I was answering the original question. "Let's assume it's the end of days, and you come to realize that your religion (or lack thereof) is wrong. What do you suppose you would do?" I gave a response :S I fail to see how anything of what I wrote isn't relevant...

I would try to figure out the specifics of the correct "approach", I couldn't bring myself to worship in the definition of the word though. And then I explained why I took that approach since that seems like fair, otherwise what I wrote wouldn't be very comprehensible without a reason.

I couldn't idolize: love unquestioningly and uncritically or to excess; venerate as an idol; show devotion to or experience a feeling of profound love and admiration. Heck, I don't even love my own parents unquestioningly and uncritically xD I could do the "going through the routines" stuff which I guess would fufil "attend religious services" but does simply being there count as worship? It's a tricky subject with much wider scope than this thread...

The to science literally just meant "to trying to figure out what the fuck is going on with this stuff"...

Anyway yeah, that's what I'd do "figure out what's right and wrong with this apparently confirmed knew realm of metaphysics".
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:55:35 am by MorleyDev »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 01:54:54 am »

Maybe I spend to much time arguing about thing I do not care about with people I do not care about, but anything past the first two sentences seemed unnecessary and like... I dunno... Like you were trying to say something... Which is good. But not relevant to the thread.

Of course now I am just as guilty as you (Possibly quite a bit more so) so I guess I have lost my right to complain.

But, I feel if you want to say something, it might be best to start a new thread. Especially if you are trying to say something as (possibly) inflammatory as what you said.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:57:39 am »

If it was took as inflammetory I apologise ^^ I never intended for this. I just figured an explanation of the answer was required :) Unfortunately I admit to being not the best judge of appropriateness at times.

Hmm, actually depending on the type of Armageddon we're dealing with here my response might be closer to nothing more than "Holy shi-" xD

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 03:52:02 am »

Double down, maaaaaan.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 03:54:59 am »

Double down, maaaaaan.

Don't forget the double rainbow, maaaaaaan.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: [1] 2 3