Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spreading the Word  (Read 3438 times)

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spreading the Word
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:05:47 am »

Hello there everybody who may read this post! I'm writing this because I plan to give an informative speech in a class of mine on (big surprise coming) Dwarf Fortress. Now I do not want to ask a lot from people, because this is after all my speech, but I consider this to be research (that's called justification).

So what I ask of the wonderful community here is: What would you include in a speech about Dwarf Fortress? What do you feel would be important to share?

*Edit: It's an informative speech, and I don't need help on how to give a speech  :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:35:37 am by Caevin »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Spreading the Word
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:16:18 am »

Speak clearly, rotate eye contact, don't fidget or sway, and talk with rhythm.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:23:23 am »

Well, what was the writing prompt? What kind of speech is it?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:00:11 am »

Talk about how it spurs creativity due to its open ended structure, i.e. talk about how the lack of a set goal-reward system forces players to think creatively. Maybe venture into a discussion of how its disregard of visual stimulation via high-end graphics focuses the player onto the depth and complexity of game play, and how this has allowed it to gain a loyal following of fans despite modern gaming's over emphasis of presentation over content (Possibly discuss the ramifications of said over-emphasis on spoon-fed stimulation on the development of imagination/creativity in the modern youth). And of course, you could talk about the power of the individual creative process, as the game is the brainchild of one incredibly dedicated person.

Just some thoughts.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:25:47 am »

Make sure that one that you mention one of the key features of the game is the game actively incourages losing. Something you just don't see anywhere else. Also the community. Its very, very rare to find a community of players this tolerant of others and willing to help. Think it might have something to do with the learning cliff *(not curve, its like yay!! I got the basics, then smacking into a wall to learn more advanced stuff)*

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 04:58:49 am »

Dwarf Fortress speaks to the Evil Overlord in all of us.

Got a useless, badly wounded or untrained dwarf?  Drop them in magma.

Got a head dwarf that causes more problems than you feel like dealing with?  Drop them in magma.

Low on food or drink in the fortress?  Lock a few important dwarves in a room with the food, and booze.  Or just drop the less useful dwarves in magma.

Too many animals?  Don't drop them in magma.  Kill them and decorate your crafts with bone pieces, and make meals from the rest.

Megaprojects!  Sometimes with magma!

Dwarf Fortress is where you guide up to 200 cranky alcoholic monofocused underlings through their lives, laughing at the complete absurdity of it all.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:31:18 am »

Dwarf Fortress speaks to the Evil Overlord in all of us.

Got a useless, badly wounded or untrained dwarf?  Drop them in magma.

Got a head dwarf that causes more problems than you feel like dealing with?  Drop them in magma.

Low on food or drink in the fortress?  Lock a few important dwarves in a room with the food, and booze.  Or just drop the less useful dwarves in magma.

Too many animals?  Don't drop them in magma.  Kill them and decorate your crafts with bone pieces, and make meals from the rest.

Megaprojects!  Sometimes with magma!

Dwarf Fortress is where you guide up to 200 cranky alcoholic monofocused underlings through their lives, laughing at the complete absurdity of it all.

While this is all true, talking about the true joys of DF in unenlightened company would probably result in requests for psychiatric counseling, and make both professor and classmates eye you uneasily for the rest of your school career.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:33 am »

My all time favorite comment about DF was made by Funburns on:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73353.msg1927264#msg1927264
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »

That post is awesome ^^

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:20 pm »

Just read the description of Planepacked. Better yet, perform it as an interpretive dance number.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:21 am »

talk about how players work together to plan great projects for profit and success!

example: Capturing mermaids with the intentions of harvesting their children's bones for expensive trophies.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 05:36:00 am »

Include mentions of the Saga of Boatmurdered, Calmacaculas or whatever his name was - the Elven Dwarf King who takes out a dragon with two shots from a warhammer, and the insanely elaborate traps which are possible which are both inhumane and horriffic, but also everybody just fucking loves.
The madly elaborate world-gen is also epic.
And the combat logs... ah, they are so very fun.
Also FUN and !!SCIENCE!!.

This game really is one of the epitomes of 'The Developer has Thought of Everything'. It's a fairly simple comcept with ridiculous depth. I figure it must be rather hard to know where to begin...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 06:59:55 am »

Hmm... could mention how it sparks the imagination, makes people write stories, people imposing challenge on themselves, and how the game can be modded and fine-tuned, and what if the project had been a commercial venture form the start. Also, compare to nethack, simcity, the sims and The Settlers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers

I would not mention any specific epic forts or characters.

And no, the developer has Not thought of everything. A 15-ton firebreathing dragon in a wooden cage that is much smaller than a wagon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:04:56 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 10:03:00 am »

Speak clearly, rotate eye contact, don't fidget or sway, and talk with rhythm.

No! That'll attract the worm!

Anyway. I highly encourage anyone and everyone to join Toastmasters. Even a few meetings will improve anyone's speaking abilities. Of course,  for something like a simple assignment, it's overkill...

In this specific case, practice, practice, practice is the best suggestion I can give you.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:06 am »

The game is not just about losing, in my eyes, but also about the "Now What?"

Once you get the hang of the controls and what's needed, it can be pretty easy to make a successful fortress.  Pick an easy place to build, make the fort, seal it off when gobs come until you can make an entrance filled with traps that no siege can pass... and when you make this ideal fort, that nobody can destroy, the mind wanders.  It thinks... "Now what?"

This is where the true creativity lies, and where the imagination takes hold, not in the combat logs or the constant losing.  When you first make your fort, and you get a hang of everything, all is functional.  Here's the dorms.  Here's the coffins.  Here's the workshops.  Here's the stockpiles.  But then you start thinking... these dwarves all worship Gods, perhaps they'd like a temple?  I like those seven dwarves I started with, but one died in an accident.  Perhaps I should honor them with their own private tombs.  These caverns I had sealed off, imagine if there was a miniature fort looking over them?  Imagine if I could see the whole land from a massive tower?  That cliff face would look nice with a face on it...

And when this fort is truly complete, one would perhaps try to challenge themselves.  Can I do as well if I embarked on a glacier?  What if there was an aquifer beneath, could I still mine through?  If the lands were evil, what would I find then?  What is this blue mineral I have heard so many legends of?

The boredom of pure success spawns the excitement of creativity, and the search for challenge.  THIS is who Dwarf Fortress was made for.
Pages: [1] 2