Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Shashmomuz: Where Dwarfs Are Not Expendable (Succession)  (Read 7644 times)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile

God I love your speech style. I'm "listening" to them talk like irishmen. Interestingly that fits exactly how these dwarves should sound like, at least in my opinion.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When Selenite came to the field, he charged through the hail of arrows and singlehandedly smashed apart an entire goblin archer squad without so much as a scratch. His bismuth bronze war axe whizzed through the air as he decorated it red with the blood of his victims.
Truly a warrior dwarf to be reckoned, but…
Why did he have to wait until the last moment?
Why did he have to walk up so leisurely while the rest of the dwarves were getting slaughtered?

“Aw jus’ laik ta not be ina rush.”

Was his only answer

That indeed sounds like me.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shashmomuz: Where Dwarfs Are Not Expendable (Succession)
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 11:41:39 pm »

Say, what is that room near the magma forges where there are a bunch of hanging gear assemblies for?

If nobody minds, I'd like to turn it into something interesting.

It was originally intended to be a 3 kilourist power generator, but I decided not to complete it due to inefficiencies in the design (about one-third to one-half of the wheel positions don't generate power) and FPS concerns.  If I do eventually construct a generator, it will be a redesigned water reactor with an on/off switch for temporary power (large pump stacks) and a windmill farm for continuous power (traps).

If you have a cool idea for what to do with the room, go for it.

Your narration is excellent.  What professions did you pick for the new dwarfs?

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2011, 07:49:18 am »

edit: nothing
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:49:42 am by noodle0117 »

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2011, 08:26:47 am »

Mid-Autumn

I finally understand.

Shashmomuz, the fort for only the best of dwarves.

Those who do not qualify, are nothing but trash meant to be thrown away.

I no longer feel any sadness, any remorse or regret.

It must be done.

----------------------------------

Late Autumn

To make future magma smithing operations more convenient, I’ve began work on a self sustained power source.

Or at least that’s what I tell my followers what I’m doing.

With little else to bother us, work commences swiftly and before long, it is complete.

Well, almost complete.

It’s only missing a few final ingredients.

The Lever that will bring us the answers.

A handful of dwarves and a turkey
The last ingredients required to finish the design.

A machine that brings both power and death.
It scares me how terrifyingly efficient it is.

Slowly but surely, their deaths will come.

---------------------

Early Winter

Whether out of despair or desperation, one of the female dwarves had a girl…

The fort's first baby, Dumat Gulnastirist, has just been born.

Right in the newly built dwarven power generator.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----------------------

Late Winter

It’s been a long year for me, and it’s about time for me to retire.

The only remaining member of my original band of dwarves is a lowly woodcutter who I'll name my successor if he agrees to the position.

This fort has been the death of a great a many dwarves, but that is fine, because now Shashmomuz has been cleaned, but they will come. More migrants, more impurities, and more useless alcohol sponges. Shashmomuz has no need for these.

Even if it means purging,
Even if it means murdering,
Even if it means drowning everything else in the world with magma,

Shashmomuz will retain its purity an b'come ze fort fer ony ze best O' dwarves.

---------------------

Notes

Upload file
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:33:00 am by noodle0117 »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:32 am »

Looks like it's thatdude's turn.  He'll need to get a new migrant wave with two migrants for Celem and I.

Updated Map:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10548-shashmomuz

It looks like we have an uninvited guest.
Selenite should make short work of him, but he could probably deal quite a bit of damage if he reached any other dwarves.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2011, 07:13:51 pm »

Does the place ever rain at all?

I had a completely dry year for my turn.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »

just bumping

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:55 am »

Oh, I've got the save file, just reading a bit to catch up  :P
Looks nice at the moment.

[EDIT] Update!

Start of the rule of “Thatdude”, woodcutter and overseer of Shashmomuz

Well the previous leader of the fort, Noodles or something like that, came up to me this morning and said “do you know dwarf tradition?” well, I didn’t expect it to be this particular one. I thought that the one leader per year tradition was pretty outdated anyway.

Well no use dwelling on it now, time to review the fort. Let’s start at the bottom.

That’s a surprise. Having a ‘pet’ forgotten beast ‘standing guard’ over our water wheels. Yeah, that’s a great feature of this fort.

Ok, let’s actually start at the top and…

Ok, those corpses aren’t pretty, and need sorting. Seriously, having the front entrance to the fort consisting of dead and dying animals and goblins isn't trendy at all. Actually I’ll give up on the tour and just start yelling out orders like I know what’s going on. A bit like ext01 over there who wont shut up about needing cages…

There’s two things we need quick-like.
1 to get rid of that beast by the power generator
2 One of those fancy trash-atom-compacter thingys to deal with all those corpses up top.
So the miners get too the second and uh, well, the first is too risky to do anything about. You see, that thing there isn’t moving at all, but sending in Selinite is too risky as well because the thing will just knock him into the water to drown. So there isn’t much I can do.

[a lot later]
Well, it’s almost the end of spring and really, not much has happened. The ‘atom-smasher’ as Noodle puts it is ready and working apparently but all I see them doing is dumping the crap in there. Also, I’ve told Selenite to stop training and actually help around the fort but so far he’s refusing to and even though I’ve ‘officially’ removed him from duty and told him to ‘have a break’ (working around the fort), he still is training. Lazy son-of-a…
I’ve expanded the bedrooms because I’m tired of having to sleep with Selenite charging around ‘training’ by himself in the barracks. Those rooms right below the current rooms look very ripe for the job (even if there are stairs in-between them) so the miners converted them. Finally, that last baby down by the power station finally died of thirst like those other poor souls. Gives off a terrible smell I’ll tell you.
Oh and there seems to be a party in the caverns

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:17:55 pm by Thatdude »

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:57 am »

Even if Shashmomuz falls into the water, he can still get out if you unlock the door holding in the water near the power generator.
Have you noticed the newborn baby floating in the rear end of the power generator?

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2011, 06:42:26 am »

13th Haematite
Selenite goes to battle! We have cowered from that beast in the power plant long enough! Show him what you’re made of Selenite!

22nd Haematite
Selenite still fights. He keeps getting pushed around too much and is too busy dodging and rolling to get a hit in edgeways. Worse, another beast has arrived, drawn by the sounds of battle. Luckily, it isn’t trying anything but the situation is precarious.

25th Haematite
The second beast has destroyed a critical door that was holding all the water for the pumps back. The forge area is beginning to flood. Selenite has yet to make any progress on the beast. I have ordered the area to be walled off as a precaution.

28th Haematite
Disaster! Selenite has fallen! The power plant is lost, we must block off the area before they break through! Luckily, Melkor was brave enough to dive in and block the room off forever. We cannot recover our brave friend but we have no choice. Selenite, RIP.

6th Malachite
Because of the disaster with the beast, I have decided to raise the bridges to the oustside. We will be isolating ourselves until we can clean up the fort inside and re-build our defenses. Since the death of Selenite even a simple honey badger is a major threat to the entire fortress. This is a regrettable decision but a necessary one.

So who volunteers to be the next militia commander then? I did make this one short just because of all the action that happened. Losing a dwarf in this means a lot. The problem is there is so much cleaning to do with only 9 (now 8.) dwarves to do it with. Situations like this make you want all those otherwise useless soap makers and animal caretakers. This fort annoys my OCD side of me. Also, why were there about 5 different garbage dumps? ins't that just inefficient (actually, it is so I've deleted all of them :P)
Also, Noodle, if you read the last part of the previous update, I did notice the dwarf baby. He died of thirst just like the others.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2011, 01:50:06 pm »

Can I get in on this?  Love the idea and I'd love to take a turn.
At last, she is done.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

What how did he die...
When I ran my fort, he killed the beast with little more than a few scratches.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2011, 04:57:12 am »

Fort's dead?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47:18 am »

Sorry about that.  I think I've been a bit to lax about enforcing the time limit.  I'll PM thatdude to see if I can get him to post his save.  The fort isn't dead though.  That would require FPS spikes, bugs, rampaging invaders or some other event that would make the fort unplayable.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6