Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: how to extract pain from prisoners?  (Read 3541 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: how to extract pain from prisoners?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 01:14:25 am »

Well, if you're careful about your use of magma, you can get a lot of blood out of victims with it, but it's very difficult to control. My militia commander has a head injury that came from fighting a forgotten beast named simply Arel, a quadruped made of flames. He walked back to the barracks bleeding quite a bit, but never visited the hospital, never fainted, just bled, stopped bleeding, and started sparring. His status screen doesn't even mention it, only that his "right hand's fat is gone".

I imagine if you can introduce small amounts of magma to the prisoner's feet, they'll melt away, causing them to fall over. If you can get rid of the magma before then, such as having it rise out of the floor and fall away again right away, it'll keep them from dying immediately. Saving that blood, however, is a problem, as it'll just flow into the magma below and be lost.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 01:59:33 am »

i suppose that i could try modding goblin blood so its a solid but i think that might have unfortunate effects on the goblins lifespan
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 02:11:23 am »

I once tried building a 20 z-level chute with floor hatchs covering the chute every 3 z-levels.
I'd drop a prisoner down, have him smack against a hatch, release said hatch, have him hit next hatch ect.

It's basically like tumbling down a giant staircase, each step giving you a few more bruises and giving you a few more broken bones.
If they still manage to live by the time they get to the bottom, I reward them with a delightful shower of bolts from my militia crossbow squad.

Only problem is that there isn't really any way to collect the blood.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 02:15:05 am »

i suppose that i could try modding goblin blood so its a solid but i think that might have unfortunate effects on the goblins lifespan
Blood does not exist in veins. It spawns spontaneously when there's an open wound. Therefore, there won't be any harm done. The real question is whether you can pick it up afterwards.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:45 am »

You say that like it's a bad thing. Danger rooms aren't just for your military! Throw some goblins in there with nothing but their clothing (no metal armor), so they train up dodging. THEN have them released onto the marksdwarf live fire course. The longer they survive, the better the marksdwarves get, and it allows for better bolt retention.

brilliant!
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:10:41 am »

Blood does not exist in veins. It spawns spontaneously when there's an open wound. Therefore, there won't be any harm done. The real question is whether you can pick it up afterwards.

i was thinking about changing a rarely found, useless stone to be blood like, red, etc and replacing the blood with it.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 10:11:59 am »

Use petrified wood it hardly ever exists in most game worlds

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:51 am »

You can pick up liquid blood. I think you can pick up solids  :P

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 11:41:44 am »

I imagine if you can introduce small amounts of magma to the prisoner's feet, they'll melt away, causing them to fall over. If you can get rid of the magma before then, such as having it rise out of the floor and fall away again right away, it'll keep them from dying immediately. Saving that blood, however, is a problem, as it'll just flow into the magma below and be lost.

Build a mist generator that moves a 2/7 tile of magma around.  Station your gobbos underneath the tile that the magma falls on and viola, you have incrementally crispy greenskins.
At last, she is done.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 12:10:33 pm »

But that's in adventure mode. You can't pick up contaminants in fortress mode.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:42 pm »

But that's in adventure mode. You can't pick up contaminants in fortress mode.
It'd still be ungrabbable then. It'll just say "Frozen goblin blood"

boyhowdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »

I recall from a thread about weaponizing FB blood that it's treated as an object and won't to pass through grates, fortification, and the like.  Side-note: I wonder if that's why object can pass through fortifications if they're covered with 7/7 water?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 02:06:36 pm »

I recall from a thread about weaponizing FB blood that it's treated as an object and won't to pass through grates, fortification, and the like.  Side-note: I wonder if that's why object can pass through fortifications if they're covered with 7/7 water?
That was my thread!

Everyone said it wouldn't work because the goblins would be auto-cleaned by the water they're in.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »

too bad you cannot kill gobbos in the screw press

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile