Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal_Person Variation? Butcher, usable Bones  (Read 2389 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal_Person Variation? Butcher, usable Bones
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:43:54 am »

What's the deal with this tag: Animal_Person Variation??

"Panda Man" / "Panda Woman" have it, are they sentient? are they butcher-able? I killed some with my military but they just seem to rot away, even the skeletons can't be butchered... am I doing something wrong?

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal_Person Variation? Butcher, usable Bones
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:45:58 am »

Animal persons are not butcherable. You're not doing anything wrong.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »

Animal persons are not butcherable. You're not doing anything wrong.
What about usable bones? if I let them rot would I get bones eventually?

By the way has anyone made some research on decomposition (rotting), like if sealing a body in a room underground will rot quicker than left in the open above ground?

does miasma accelerates rotting?
maybe some tame vermin?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »

What's the deal with this tag: Animal_Person Variation??

It's basically a shortcut to add/remove a load of tags. It's to speed up the editing process. See c_variation_default.txt.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »

Not butcherable unless you mod the dwarven ethics to enable the butchering of sentients.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:10:34 pm »

How come some people report getting usable goblin bones??

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »

That was a bug back in 40d where goblins would rot into a stack of bones. Now they turn into a skeleton, which must be butchered to yield bones.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:41:52 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:21:02 am »

That was a bug back in 40d where goblins would rot into a stack of bones. Now they turn into a skeleton, which must be butchered to yield bones.
Or you can drop them (while they're still alive) ~15 Z-levels to make their bodies explode.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:50:49 am »

that's the point!! can you butcher a sentient skeleton? if so how? i have my panda men skeletons sitting right next to the butcher's in a refuse pile and the butchers refuses to butcher them into bones...

Hell, I even have some panda men body parts that flew off in an arc when my miners were picking them into pieces, they have rotted away, they are white, but still no usable bones...

By the way, a panda man attacked one of my tame stray dogs, one of his pawns got bitten off in an arc, now I have a dog pawn and a live pawnless dog, but I'm unable to butcher the cut off pawn...?? it rotted away and still not butcherable.... will I get usable bones from that?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:55:04 am by Kaos »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:15 am »

You can't butcher skeletons of sentient creatures, or tame animals.

In theory, severed body parts may rot to make bone piles, but it doesn't seem reliable.  Skeletons never seem to rot to bones in my experience.  Just dump them, you can't do anything useful with your panda man skeletons.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:11:26 am »

I've heard that it's handless arms and footless legs that rot to bone, everything else just stays "so-and-so's left arm" or "so-and-so's partial skeleton". I think mutilated corpses that have had everything chopped off them also rot to stacks of usable bones. Use well trained axedwarves as your military if you want sentient bones, they seem to sever more bits than other soldiers. Dropping prisoners should also work if the drop is high enough as it will have the same effect of exploding the corpse to get the isolated limb parts. I accidentally dropped two dwarves fifteen storeys (don't ask) and I have stacks of dwarf bone [3] and dwarf bone [5] now located in their coffins... wonder if I could make use of those if I deconstruct the coffins...
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:25 am »

I've heard that it's handless arms and footless legs that rot to bone, everything else just stays "so-and-so's left arm" or "so-and-so's partial skeleton". I think mutilated corpses that have had everything chopped off them also rot to stacks of usable bones. Use well trained axedwarves as your military if you want sentient bones, they seem to sever more bits than other soldiers. Dropping prisoners should also work if the drop is high enough as it will have the same effect of exploding the corpse to get the isolated limb parts. I accidentally dropped two dwarves fifteen storeys (don't ask) and I have stacks of dwarf bone [3] and dwarf bone [5] now located in their coffins... wonder if I could make use of those if I deconstruct the coffins...
uhmmm.... "Urist McJumper Bone Bolts[15]" &  "Urist McJumper Bone Bolts[25]" me likes  :D

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »

uhmmm.... "Urist McJumper Bone Bolts[15]" &  "Urist McJumper Bone Bolts[25]" me likes  :D

It would be rather Urist McJumper Bone Bolts[5]. But I get only goblin bones and subsequently goblin bone bolts. Maybe because dwarves rotting  in coffins weren't chopped to many little pieces, unlike goblins. Hm, I wonder if a dead body can explode if dropped from high altitude.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »

Hm, I wonder if a dead body can explode if dropped from high altitude.

Nope.  Objects (including corpses) take no damage no matter how far they fall.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

Hm, I wonder if a dead body can explode if dropped from high altitude.

Nope.  Objects (including corpses) take no damage no matter how far they fall.

Oh well. Another idea goes down the toilet.
Pages: [1] 2