Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: Fallen Imperium - Turn 10 - Need replacement!  (Read 26754 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Imperium - Turn 10 - Need replacement!
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2011, 04:18:40 am »

Spoiler: Turn (click to show/hide)

Busy busy busy. Can trade production be applied anywhere or what? Do established trading vessels still require upkeep?

Also space eels.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:39 am »

Busy busy busy. Can trade production be applied anywhere or what? Do established trading vessels still require upkeep?
Trade routes only take place between two different-race planets. Only the two planets get the production boost. The two planets cannot be switched without destroying the route (and ship, which is given to civilians when the route is established).
Established trade routes do not require upkeep.

The starting tech of Trade Routes II only allows two trade routes. Of course, you may build as many trading ships as you want and send them on their way before then.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:28 pm »

But in theory, and with enough Trade Route techs, every planet of mine could be connected to every single other non-me planet in the known galaxy?

And yes, I'm aware of the limit. I doubt it'll be an issue by the time it comes up.

Also, I don't think Vanigo's ship upkeep changed when his trader reached its destination, but I wouldn't know for sure.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »

Its odd...
For some reason I just can't seem to wrap my head around the math, I could at the start but now... Its all Greek to me...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 13, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »

:-\

I'd suggest making a spreadsheet, if you're able.

What is it you can't wrap your head around, though? There must be some point at which it stops being "Oh that's a + sign, I know what that does" and starts being "...uh..."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2011, 08:05:01 pm »

:-\

I'd suggest making a spreadsheet, if you're able.

What is it you can't wrap your head around, though? There must be some point at which it stops being "Oh that's a + sign, I know what that does" and starts being "...uh..."
Mainly Population and that for the second planet...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:20 pm »

I do like making math more complex then it needs to be.

Anyone mind if I delete loyalty entirely, though? It's bothersome to track, and is mostly just an annoyance.

But in theory, and with enough Trade Route techs, every planet of mine could be connected to every single other non-me planet in the known galaxy?
Technically, yes. However, there are diminishing returns for each extra route at a planet, and, with ramping tech costs, the total RP cost to get 32 trade routes each at 8 planets would be ... greater then the number of water molecules on Earth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 13, 2011, 08:35:08 pm »

Population is relatively simple, the main thing is weirdness with how environment works. The formula is:

(A - B) * C

A is growth rate, which is:

0.055 (base rate, higher than normal because of your racial bonus) * 1.21 (modifier from pop growth tech) * 0.6 (loyalty, which should have increased last turn from 50% to 60%, or higher if you bought them off) = 0.03993 for you this turn

B is environmental penalty, which varies by planet. The actual formula is:

(difference between ideal and current environments * 0.0005)

You can get the difference by subtracting your race's ideal environment from the planet's current one, or vice versa, and then making it positive. So Ideal 50 and Current 100 would be the same as Ideal 100 and Current 50, since it's 50 points from current situation to ideal situation either way.

In the case of Planet 3, the difference is 0, so the penalty is 0 * 0.0005, which is also 0, so no worries there. On Planet 15, the ideal is still 160, but the current environment is 50, so we get |50 - 160| or |160 - 50|, which gives us 110 either way. You could also just eyeball it and notice that they're 110 apart, but that gets messy for most numbers.

Thus, Planet 15's environmental penalty is (110 * 0.0005), or 0.055

Combining the (A - B) part of the equation gives us 0.03993 (your total growth rate) - 0.055 (your environmental penalty) = -0.01507, which is your total growth modifier. This is then multiplied by C, which is just your current population, in this case 5.8 (apparently your colonists arrived from last round).

Thus, we get a grand total of (-0.01507 * 5.8) = -0.087406, which unfortunately rounds the opposite way you'd prefer to -0.1

More generally speaking, your new colony has two differences from your main one- lower loyalty, and an imperfect environment.

Loyalty is applied as a modifier to production, taxes, and population growth, so a world with 50% loyalty will produce half as much production, pay half as many taxes, and grow slower (though not exactly half as slow, usually).

Environmental difference is applied as a penalty to population growth and helps determine environmental upkeep, which is 0 for a world with perfect environment.

Anyone mind if I delete loyalty entirely, though? It's bothersome to track, and is mostly just an annoyance.
I kind of like it, though I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. Also my racial penalty is to loyalty gain, so...

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 13, 2011, 11:46:26 pm »

I'd need to get a different bonus in place of loyalty recovery...
It's a pretty significant concern for newly-conquered worlds. Ditching it would mean there's no reason to consider using the exterminate option (unless maybe you think someone else will conquer it soon). And a loyalty-reducing bombing campaign before an invasion is a perfectly legitimate strategy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:51:13 pm by Vanigo »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:37 am »

Might wanna PM-prod evilcherry.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 20, 2011, 03:27:20 am »

Seems my Mathbrain part has gone on holiday, I still can't seem to wrap me head around it. I am gonna have to pull sorry...
I get headaches when I look at all the numbers. Gah why!!!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:34 am »

uber, uber busy.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:49 pm »

I don't feel comfortable GMing for a 'player' faction in a game with no transparency, and I don't think we're likely to get any more replacements. I don't particularly want to restart again. The game wasn't designed for three players, and I feel that the lack of diplomacy and warfare from only having three players is quite detrimental to the game overall. (Vanigo's also in a rather bad position for a three player game.)

Vote on what happens to the game. I'm inclined to just reveal the secret GM stuff and declare it dead, but am willing to continue GMing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:33 pm »

I'm really not sure. I don't want the game to die, but I'm not sure we've got any good options for making it live.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

Is it still feasible for a new player to join?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30