Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Upcoming Devestation  (Read 7608 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Devestation
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2011, 04:25:40 am »

Game is in a playable alpha state, we should all be aware.  Right now DF is more of an engine than an actual game.  It has pieces, and the pieces interact, but it's far from complete and far from balanced.  That's why there's such holes as "you can wall off the map and ignore everything" because it's not finished.  Reserve final judgment on siege value when your children buy the full game.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:38 am »

<snip>
Reserve final judgment on siege value when your children buy the full game.

QFT.  It's a darn fun alpha, but it is an alpha.  That's part of what makes it so fun, IMHO.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2011, 06:49:02 am »

Different people will have different objectives when playing which changes whether sieges are relevant or not. If you just want your dwarves to be alive then sure, you can hole up and just live a self-sufficient life. The upcoming releases are about making this kind of shut-in playstyle boring - you can't impact the world at all, be it by trade or (much later) by sending out raids.

This highlights how sieging a dwarven fort is so much harder than a human fort - dwarves have much more land to work with because they dig deep down and can farm on that land where the sun does not shine. Just look at how much sprawl a single human town needs in DF - all that would need to be walled off if a human town is to be so self-sufficient as to not care about sieges.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2011, 07:57:02 am »

Silent Fort, if anything.  Dawn of the Dwarf, maybe?  Carp of the Dead?  Left 4 Dorf has already been said, several times.
28 dorfs later!
Dorf Rising? Solon of the Dead? ZombieFort?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2011, 10:09:56 am »

Silent Fort, if anything.  Dawn of the Dwarf, maybe?  Carp of the Dead?  Left 4 Dorf has already been said, several times.
28 dorfs later!
Dorf Rising? Solon of the Dead? ZombieFort?
Rise of the Dorf? Urist of the Dead? I maed a game wi1h d0rfs in 1t?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2011, 10:11:40 am »

Definitely looking forward to my first random curse that inflicts something along the lines of "Target gives birth to spiders."
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:26 am »

Definitely looking forward to my first random curse that inflicts something along the lines of "Target gives birth to spiders."
Oh god.

How many more STD's are people going to make...

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:22 am »

as many as it takes for Armok himself to cry for mercy.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:16 am »

as many as it takes for Armok himself to cry for mercy.
OVER NINE TTTHHHHOOOOOUUUSSSSSSAAAAAAANNNNDDDDDDD

Anyways, this is going to be awkward... Crabs would just be random birth to vermin, and many others should be easy to think about...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:39 am »

Necro?  You uh, may want to restrain your use of bold-caps-italics-underline-30 point nonsense.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:12 am »

Necro?  You uh, may want to restrain your use of bold-caps-italics-underline-30 point nonsense.
Whoops! Fixed.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:08 pm »

oookay... let me get this straight

in evil bioms, we'll no longer be able to store goblin corpses in the same place we store our other rotting things?

What about animals? bones in general?

If this curse thing just randomly attaches to dismembered corpses, we're looking at VEGAN forts with magma incinerators for corpses >>

unless toady implements "undead can't cross running water" in which case we just flood the floors partially and keep the water moving >>
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »

We've yet to get details, so we'll see.  Either way, it was implied that resurrections will be infrequent and event-based.  You can easily catch and kill and butcher an elephant, and you can keep stocks of animals.  But every so often, a reanimation will occur in which part or all of the loose corpses will become zombies.  You'll have to wait for specifics, but we're all reading the front page and making educated guesses.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:09 pm »

in evil bioms, we'll no longer be able to store goblin corpses in the same place we store our other rotting things?
If you're worried about being unable to butcher them, then just edit the raws for ethics. But given the goblins will have lost their gear, they will only be as scary as whatever the randomly generated brand of undeath confers on them.

Speaking of butchering - I can just see it, there will be a post one day telling the story of how a corpse got reanimated while it was at the butcher's shop being processed...
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2011, 12:56:50 pm »

It will likely be me to post that story first.  Knowing my luck with butchering...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8