Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Upcoming Devestation  (Read 7618 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Devestation
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 06:56:48 am »

What would be totally awesome would be friendly undead. Like, undead legendary soldier ghosts/zombies/skeletons that have died in battle occasionally rising up from their graves and defending the fortress against a siege as friendlies, then disappearing forever to Dwarven Valhalla/to sit next to the throne of ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD or something.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:58:55 am by Naryar »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:22 am »

1. Carve out an underground city, separate from your fortress
Fill with zombies
Drop Goblins down there in groups of four
Left 4 Dorf

2. A *goblin meat roast* sock to any who can make a DF version of Ruby Quest.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 04:42:49 pm »

I'm more considering the vast uses of curses!  Think about it!  We could have a sheep-ifying weapon, as in Warcraft 3, the infamous chickenfoot, transformations of dwarves into dragons, or perhaps some strange varient species that inflicts a transformation upon its captured enemies, turning them into stone-skinned combatants that defend the fortress.  Borg, anyone?  Urist McMigrantCheesemaker being cursed to become a huge boulder of shist, or a captured elf general turned into a tree!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »

Would turning elves into werewolves be considered a punishment, an improvement, or both?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »

I AM GOING TO MAKE LEFT 4 DORF WHEN THIS IS DONE!

Omononmnomnomnomom.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 06:35:51 pm »

Reminds me of a 40d fort I made.  It was a haunted lake surrounded by a normal lands.  I drained the lake, built a clear glass fort in it, and refilled it.  It even had an air lock in it so I could dump stuff in it without flooding the fortress.  Because dumping corpses into a lake filled with undead was obviously the best way to get rid of them.  Anyway, I lost it due to a combination of the new version being released, an FPS death, and a minor miscalculation in the airlock's automation system.   When a dwarf went to dump something, it they were supposed to path onto a pressure plate that would open one hatch and shut the other, and reversed it when they stepped off.  One plate couldn't do it by itself and the secondary system...  resulted in a lot of FUN.   I look forward to these curses and round 2 of my fort.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »

This should be fun. I will make my fortresses using a isolation system that will let me close any section of the fortress that is infected... Or lock one to save the survivors.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »

I'm more considering the vast uses of curses!  Think about it!  We could have a sheep-ifying weapon, as in Warcraft 3
A metal that has the injected curse of sheepification. It can be used to make bolts  :P

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:01 pm »

Would curses and such actually be able to add bodyparts etc. to a creature? I'm getting all kinds of wonderful images of alien infestation here*.

*dead dwarves' beards taking over attacking goblins, making them friendly.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:21 pm »

Well, werewolves will work via a curse, and this will probably add hair and fangs and claws, at the least, so very likely yes.  I'm suspecting that a curse will work as a new raw type, such as curse_default.txt, and this defines things like "add hair" or "remove skin".  Alternatively, you may define another creature that doesn't normally exist, and the curse can be used to have a transformation target, turning X creature into target creature over a given length of time.

I feel this is growing very close to slavery, as it may or may not allow us to have a caste of dwarves which doesn't naturally exist (pop_ratio:0 maybe?) but have a curse that transforms a creature into this sub-caste, in theory allowing us to create sub-dwarves to haul and stuff.  But, we'll have to see how this works...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 08:51:46 pm »

Well, werewolves will work via a curse, and this will probably add hair and fangs and claws, at the least, so very likely yes.  I'm suspecting that a curse will work as a new raw type, such as curse_default.txt, and this defines things like "add hair" or "remove skin".  Alternatively, you may define another creature that doesn't normally exist, and the curse can be used to have a transformation target, turning X creature into target creature over a given length of time.

I feel this is growing very close to slavery, as it may or may not allow us to have a caste of dwarves which doesn't naturally exist (pop_ratio:0 maybe?) but have a curse that transforms a creature into this sub-caste, in theory allowing us to create sub-dwarves to haul and stuff.  But, we'll have to see how this works...
It'll probably be something like

[TRANSFORM_TO_SELF]

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »

I just want skull to be a material so I can have elf skull codpieces. Especially one that transforms the wearer into something weird.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 09:06:14 pm »

You could already mod in something similar, but I would personally be less inclined to put anything elven down there...

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 08:04:04 am »

The curses system is gonna be awesome.  I think toady said somewhere that they might be able to be used for positive things too.  So you might be able to have some kind of really tough beast that, upon killing it, the person who defeated it gets some sort of awesome blessing.  You could also have something like if you eat a dragon's heart than you become much stronger or something like that.  I'd totally love to be able to do that.  Having weird undead would be cool too.  If like, your awesome adamantine-clad axelord dies and your fort is destroyed, you could come back in adventure mode to learn that his zombie is terrorizing the town.  The curses system is looking pretty amazing right now.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:51 am »

< Goblin Necromancer The Plauge Undying Has Arrived! >

< Goblin Necromancer raises the dead! >

< Urist McPeasant cancels store item in stockpile, interrupted by stockpile! >

< The Stockpile is Fighting! >

< The Peasant Urist McPeasant is Fighting! >

< Reanimated Goblin Skull bites Urist McPeasant on the Left First Toe, the severed part files off in an arc! >
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8