Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Upcoming Devestation  (Read 7639 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Upcoming Devestation
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:50:29 am »

As listed on the front page (I know not all of us go there), Toady has been hashing out curses and undead.  A curse is something like a werewolf or vampire, and works to change the victim on some level, and may or may not utilize the existing syndrome method or something similar.  Since curses are made partially for use with undead, the regular undead and skeletal types have been removed (it sounds like) and replaced with this curse system.  A reanimation curse is applies to corpses in evil biomes, causing Fun for anyone who doesn't properly dispose of their dead.  This includes dwarves, invaders, animals, and apparently individual detached limbs.  I repeat: crawling goblins arms and slithering stinking guts.

We're getting a more robust undead (perhaps a return to the 40d nigh-invulnerable skeletons of yore?) and the ability to apply deep changes to a creature via the curse system.

1) What are you looking forward to, and why?
2) What sort of depraved and hilarious mods do you think will be made for this?  Toady specifically mentioned that many curses would be randomized at worldgen, but that there would also be raw tokens included for modders.

Discuss.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Devestation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:14:29 am »

possibly a way of making individual body parts be cursed so someones own arm is strangling them as only the arm has been cursed
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:21:59 am »

Werewolf militia?  Zombie miners?  I can see some possible benefits to modding, lol.  Especially if there is a variable to indicate if the unit is able to be commanded like a dwarf or not.  A miner that doesn't need to breathe, eat, or drink.  Hrm.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:28:45 am »

Make it so when your entire fort gets zombified you don't actually lose. ZombDorfFort!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:15 am »

If individual body parts get cursed and animate, then it means that lots of weapon traps (especially serrated blade ones) are gonna cause more FUN.

I anticipate dodge traps with lava will become the preferred "best" defense since it won't leave corpses.  No muss, no fuss.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:35:24 am »

Hellz yeah that sounds awesome,

Soldier: "Sir, incoming zombie army"
Captain: "Kill them all"

Soldier: "Sir, we killed them all"
Captain: "Did you dispose of all the arms so we don't have another problem?"

Soldier: "Oh Crap...."
Captain: "URISTTTTTT!"

*Army of undead limbs kills them all"
"From the Dark Abyss, I come. From the Very Pits of Hell, I come. The Lord of Chaos, the Dark Demon only seen in nightmares shall rise"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 03:41:39 am »

Also of note: If a dwarf dies and is not properly buried, it may be both a ghost AND a zombie.  This means that a particularly unfortunate dwarf may be haunted by their lover's ghost while being eaten by their lover's corpse.

I am currently setting aside one ☼Kitten Leather Sock☼ as a reward for the first person who manages to get a particularly distraught ghost to strike down its own zombie.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 03:59:28 am »

Depending on how long re-animation takes, you could quantum dump the corpse pile into a zombie warehouse underground. Siege shows up, throw a few dozen zombies at them, dump all the bodies into pit. Re-animate. Repeat.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 04:05:48 am »

I'm sure I'm not the only person that paves the road right outside the fort with the skeletal remains of goblins, elves, cavern beasts, and anything thing my dwarves have murdered. In my case, there's at least six refusal piles about ten feet away from a pitiful fort entrance, guarded only by a bunch of traps.

I'm sure there is no way continuing such corpse disposal can backfire.

Maybe a special invaders can come precursed? Kind of like when you attract local leaders and they have actual history behind them, but this one is some sort of cursed individual who then got his/her position by intimidating everyone else, and when your military attacks that person, they risk being cursed as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:07:27 am by A-chana »

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:16 am »

Depending on how long re-animation takes, you could quantum dump the corpse pile into a zombie warehouse underground. Siege shows up, throw a few dozen zombies at them, dump all the bodies into pit. Re-animate. Repeat.

I love that Idea I would most definately use that method, It would save lives and if you lose em, just rez them back up and then gather the corpses of the enemy and raise an army, Always making sure they can't escape and destroy the entire fort :P
"From the Dark Abyss, I come. From the Very Pits of Hell, I come. The Lord of Chaos, the Dark Demon only seen in nightmares shall rise"

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:54 am »

A curse that zombifies the dwarf liver and nothing else.

"OH GOD IT'S REBELLING AGAINST MY BODYYY"

"IT DOESN'T WANT TO METABOLIZE ALCOHOL"

"MY BLOOD ALCOHOL COONTENT IS REACHING DANGEROUS EXTREMES AAAARG"

Urist McZombieLiver has gone stark raving mad !

Oh, and undead sieges will be fun.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 05:41:29 am »

Undead sieges will be terrifying.They could just stand there.. FOREVER waiting you out.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:43 am »

Undead sieges will be terrifying.They could just stand there.. FOREVER waiting you out.

Actually that's not so terryfying. in DF, sieges don't really work unless all your crops are outside and exposed, or your fortress's survival relies on trade, which is stupid.

You will have the time to find and smelt enough metal, train your dwarves, and charge at the undead. Or have enough time to prepare a "Project Fuck The World" and burn the undead in magma.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 05:51:34 am »

Always making sure [the undead] can't escape and destroy the entire fort :P

Don't worry, I've seen loads of movies featuring mad technomedical companies with weird fascinations in the contents of long abandoned (and occasionally extra-planatary) archaeological digs or seemingly abandoned transport vessels, who find themselves developing all kinds of revivification techniques from what they find lying around, and it hardly ever goes wrong...  Right?  Right guys..?  Guys?  Darnit, and now the comms system has broken down.  Well, at least lights are still working...  Oh...!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 06:10:46 am »

It sounds like it could get complicated with military orders, if the kill list is filled with cursed legs and undead severed heads and so on.  I hope that the battle mechanism also gets tweaked so that these things can actually be killed permanently without having to burn them or crush them under a bridge.  Otherwise, battling the undead becomes pointless because they'll just come back again in more pieces.

Actually that's not so terryfying. in DF, sieges don't really work unless all your crops are outside and exposed, or your fortress's survival relies on trade, which is stupid.

I thought that was the whole point of the caravan arc and the reduction of on-site resources that everybody whined about.  So you actually would need to trade and protect caravans and so on, otherwise you were potentially screwed in getting some things.  Right now, seiges are a kind of annoying 'can I be bothered to deal with you' event, like a FB appearing in a walled-off cavern.  They really should be more important to deal with sooner rather than later.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8