Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Upcoming Devestation  (Read 7585 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Devestation
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2011, 01:01:51 pm »

could one not make the most ideal archery training practise building by dumping a pile of bodies on a range thats sealed off, and while the marksmen shoot at it with wooden bolts or whatever they will keep reanimating after death

would that work?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2011, 01:08:19 pm »

could one not make the most ideal archery training practise building by dumping a pile of bodies on a range thats sealed off, and while the marksmen shoot at it with wooden bolts or whatever they will keep reanimating after death

would that work?
You'd get tons of experience until the marksdwarf gets a lucky headshot. The zombie would not become a zombie zombie zombie.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »

A dead zombie leaves no corpse.  They disappear.  Thus, you drop a goblin in the pit.  It gets shot and leaves a body.  That body reanimates.  The zombie gets shot and disappears.

Zombies are also very weak, I had untrained civilians punching zombie elephants.  All undead have been nerfed since 40d, but I'm hoping that the upcoming blight will re-awaken the terror of the undead as more than shambling job cancellations.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2011, 01:31:28 pm »

A dead zombie leaves no corpse.  They disappear.  Thus, you drop a goblin in the pit.  It gets shot and leaves a body.  That body reanimates.  The zombie gets shot and disappears.

Zombies are also very weak, I had untrained civilians punching zombie elephants.  All undead have been nerfed since 40d, but I'm hoping that the upcoming blight will re-awaken the terror of the undead as more than shambling job cancellations.
THEN THE SKELETAL ELEPHANTS SHALL RISE AGAIN! BWHWHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ah man this is going to be badass.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2011, 01:54:52 pm »

Given the undead will have completely randomised states of undeath, it'll become less meaningful to call them "zombie" or "skeletal" all the time. I'm sure we'll figure something out for naming them. Point is: they may be really weak, or they may be really strong and it's entirely the whim of the dice what you'd get in your region. ALSO at the whim of dice will be the other curses that make life miserable for the living (latest Toady post on FotF). It's one thing to fight an undead of unknown strength with known dwarves, it's another thing to do so with unknown ailments hitting you too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »

28 Dwarf Later

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »

I now know exactly what I lok forward to in the next build now.

Whenever a dwarven child or baby dies, I will have its body dumped into a pit. My marksdwarves will be forced to use these zombified children as their target practice. I will desensitize them to everything and make them elite snipers simultaneously.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »

Maybe Toady will change the undead so they leave corpses again, so they can get re-ressurrected. Fun.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:43 pm »

I wonder if one of the possible states of undeath is to violently explode in cave-in dust upon destruction. Nah, there's no precedence for undead exploding on destruction.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »

Fighting against dwarf undead should result in massive negative thoughts. "was disgusted to meet an undead fellow dwarf recently" "was extremly disgusted to see an former friend in undeath"
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 04:06:11 pm »

Fighting against dwarf undead should result in massive negative thoughts. "was disgusted to meet an undead fellow dwarf recently" "was extremly disgusted to see an former friend in undeath"

A while back someone put up unused "thought" text. One of them specifically mentioned meeting a zombified grudge. "Urist was forced to endure a dead but still annoying acquaintance recently." That one gets me every time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]