Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Funeral Pyre  (Read 9635 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral Pyre
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 12:12:40 pm »

I think this game sort of gives the impression that any old ash will do for making lye. Let's keep in mind the fact that, in reality, lye production specifically requires plant ash, especially hardwood ash.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:25 pm »

...But... But burial urns D:

WHAT DO PUT IN

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:50 am »

btw we already have cremation using !!Magma!! ;)
This.

Although magma-dumping bodies and/or other items seems rather slow as it is. I wonder if this is covered in the upcoming hauling improvements?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:10 pm »

Magma is useful, but can be difficult to get to, and has unique dangers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 05:45:04 am »

A necro in a thread about funeral pyres. This is ironic and beautiful. But wrong, we don't want necro's near our dead-... CALL IN THE !!AXEDWARVES!!

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 02:28:44 pm »

A necro in a thread about funeral pyres. This is ironic and beautiful. But wrong, we don't want necro's near our dead-... CALL IN THE !!AXEDWARVES!!
Alright, so we have people unironically who go around posting that the thread that you just put up has already been posted two years ago on one hand.
And on the contrary hand we have people (like are dear McCheeseMaker here) tell people where they can put there necroposts.
To be honest it could all be a joke, but I don't have much of a sense of humor and I want to see one side at lest ceasing. >:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 04:25:14 pm »

Alright, so we have people unironically who go around posting that the thread that you just put up has already been posted two years ago on one hand.
And on the contrary hand we have people (like are dear McCheeseMaker here) tell people where they can put there necroposts.
To be honest it could all be a joke, but I don't have much of a sense of humor and I want to see one side at lest ceasing. >:(
Seconded. I suggest bringing it up in the Suggestions Forum Organisation thread that's stickied at the top of the page, because we need some actual guidelines on when it is and isn't appropriate to revive a thread instead of starting afresh.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »

Necros are perfectly fine in Suggestions, unlike most other forums, because we do want to preserve old arguments rather than rehash them every time someone has something to add (as opposed to let sleeping dogs lie in the case of more casual discussions).

The only exception is if someone necrobumps just to be annoying or keep a conflict going, rather than trying to add to the discussion somehow. 

I do have to wonder why Sus dug this up just to voice an agreement that this might not be necessary because of magma, but it's not a terrible thing to berate him/her over, either way. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 11:18:44 pm »

Holy crap I remember this thread.

I STILL think it's a good idea.  What's more Dwarvenly of a burial? Having a plaque in your name?  Being interred in a rock coffin...

Or flooding the room with Magma?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 01:47:32 am »

You guys know that this thread was necro'd by a spambot, right?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:44 am »

You guys know that this thread was necro'd by a spambot, right?

Had no idea. But in the light of the necromancers... We need this more than ever.

Edit: re-read the thread, which was started when said update was still in the works. Heh.

I had a necromancer show up at my fort recently, and it basically used a quarter of a horse and some goblins over and over to murder me to death. Burning things would be a nice alternative to pumping magma to the surface.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 04:41:10 am »

I think that fire should be implemented properly first.

I can imagine the hilarity that would ensue from the corpses that you are burning being reanimated and running out of the fire and then burning down your fortress.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:18 pm »

My last post wasn't chastising the other two guys for necro'ing. I was just joking about the fact that people were necroing a thread that's about dealing with the dead, when necromancers were recently added.

Also, these things:
I think that fire should be implemented properly first.

I can imagine the hilarity that would ensue from the corpses that you are burning being reanimated and running out of the fire and then burning down your fortress.
Soooo true. Sooo much want.

Rage Machine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »

i thing funeral pyre's should be added for 2 good reasons.
1- alternate method of burial that i would find suitable for pets and fallen foes.
2- awesome roleplay feature, i now NEED a pyre for my temples to burn offerings.

actually thinking on the second one i vote we just add straight pyre's and let the players decide what to burn on them. could be anything from signal flames, funerals, temple offerings or simply just trash disposals.

anyone else like this?

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 03:33:17 am »

On a related note to funeral pyres; How about Norse funeral pyres? That is to say, when a dwarf dies, the dwarfs body and possessions all get burned at the same time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_funeral#Cremation
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5