Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397226 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20b *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3300 on: August 05, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »

Does dfhack allow for the kind of syndromes Ether was planned to have? If so, will we be seeing its original concept again?

What kind are those?
I believe Ether was originally planned to cause harmful syndromes of some sort to the user, but this was scrapped due to DF's syndrome system not allowing for it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: August 05, 2013, 11:57:14 pm »

Found it. It involved stuckins. Itemsyndrome has support for those.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:08 pm »

So I've been playing DF again for the first time in quite a while because DFTerm and can I just say again (unless I haven't before) that this is my favorite mod? I just love how... I can't put my finger on it. I actually have fun playing it, like, legitimate child-like fun. I usually don't feel that with games in general, much less DF mods where any sense of childlike wonder is completely crushed by my near-encyclopedic knowledge of DF's game mechanics and modding techniques.

Not sure why I feel like I need to gush so much about this, but I just do. It's strangely nostalgic despite being pretty unique as far as content goes that I can think of, and I guess I really like it when things make me feel like I'm 7 years old and playing A Link to the Past again.

I'm honored!  :)

Working on some underground race concept art.  I'll be sure to share when it's presentable.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3303 on: August 07, 2013, 02:17:01 pm »

Its been a while since I had a look at your mod. While reading through the files, I found this:

NOTE: For technical reasons, a dwarf that has transformed as part of the ritual tree's ceremony reactions will be unable to successfully assemble a spider construct.  Bear this in mind,
and use your manager screen to make sure you're not wasting any efforts!

This can actually be fixed by using the TrueTransformation plugin. I think you know this, so maybe I am just alerting you to an outdated manual entry...

EDIT: Found another one:
Hostile races will not fight amongst each other (except for goblins) outside of legends mode.  This is currently impossible for me to fix given the current engine.
Can be done by interactions, for example one race can turn another race opposed_to_life to force an engagement, or by using completely different ethics in their entity files. You have quite a high chance for a war between the civs then. They will fight each other if they meet near your fort. It also makes balancing worldgens harder, because they wipe each other out more easily.

EDIT2: And the ether entry putnam was talking about:
NOTES: Ether was supposed to cause a syndrome upon contact with certain creatures, but this idea had to be scrapped due to technical difficulties.  The remnants of this code have not been removed from the raws, but should not affect anything.
Can indeed be done now with itemsyndrome or spatter_add, if you want to make ether-coated weapons.

EDIT3: Greater ritual of sustenance claims to take live vermin as a reagent... at least in the manual. The reaction raws takes ash, among other things, but no vermin. Were you unable to use live vermin as a reagent?

EDIT4: And a last one: I remember there being a problem with civ-member and the mischivious tag. Was that ever solved, does your mystery caste work know? If you cant answer here about it, you can send me a PM, to avoid spoilering people.

EDIT5: Silly me forgot one thing... putnams moddable gods. :) You can add your invented pantheon of Visthel and all the other gods as actual deities into the mod.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:42:24 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: August 08, 2013, 07:56:16 am »

Thanks guys!  Expect to see magical weapons (weapons that allow interactions) and the LFR pantheon in-game for next release.

@ Meph, edit3: No, it didn't work, so I changed it to ash and forgot to adjust the manual.
@ Meph, edit4: They don't actually act mischievous, but they go around poisoning your dwarves and watchers look for the tag to expose them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: August 08, 2013, 08:40:30 pm »

@ Meph, edit4: They don't actually act mischievous, but they go around poisoning your dwarves and watchers look for the tag to expose them.

I've seen these appear in an actual fortress, too.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: August 10, 2013, 07:29:02 am »

First off, I just DL'ed the mod and it's awesome so thank you!

I came here to post that I seem to be hitting a bug where my alchemist's workshop is not recognizing that I have orichalcum bars available, so i can't progress past tier 0 of the mechanical tree. I'll post screens showing that the bars are sitting there at my smelter (and no they are not tasked for pickup) but the alchemist simply doesn't believe they're there so the option to fabricate precision tools is locked. Any clue how I can fix this?

The Alchemy Lab showing no bars available
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the bars sitting at the smelter

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:16 am »

First off, I just DL'ed the mod and it's awesome so thank you!

I came here to post that I seem to be hitting a bug where my alchemist's workshop is not recognizing that I have orichalcum bars available, so i can't progress past tier 0 of the mechanical tree. I'll post screens showing that the bars are sitting there at my smelter (and no they are not tasked for pickup) but the alchemist simply doesn't believe they're there so the option to fabricate precision tools is locked. Any clue how I can fix this?

The Alchemy Lab showing no bars available

And the bars sitting at the smelter
What are your burrow settings?

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:58 pm »

No burrows have been created yet.

EDIT: After checking I did have a burrow i forgot about that i made to force miners into a specific area. The odd thing is that noone was assigned there, but after expanding the burrow to use as my civ alert "inside" burrow, the lab now accepts that the orichalucum exists. Not sure why that worked but thanks.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:11:17 pm by !!Fyre!! »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: August 10, 2013, 01:13:21 pm »

No burrows have been created yet.

EDIT: After checking I did have a burrow i forgot about that i made to force miners into a specific area. The odd thing is that noone was assigned there, but after expanding the burrow to use as my civ alert "inside" burrow, the lab now accepts that the orichalucum exists. Not sure why that worked but thanks.
If there is a burrow with either the materials or the workshop but not both in existence, the workshop's red-enabled reactions will not accept the outside materials. It's a weird bug in DF.

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: August 10, 2013, 05:23:02 pm »

Ok, I'm running into another issue now that I never had in vanilla DF. I've also read the last ten or so pages of posts here and haven't seen this issue discussed. Basically, I have trade relations with humans, elves, meowkin, nephilim, and of course dwarves. At first this seemed cool, but after the first year I started getting 2 caravans at the same time 2x a year, with elves being the one that comes by themselves. The problem is that one of the wagons gets to the depot and starts unloading and the other civ's wagons run into it freezeing them there and causing massive traffic jams. Eventually one or more wagons gets destroyed and that civ tries to pack up and leave. Unfortunately it usually prevents either caravan from unloading before they are ready to leave preventing any sort of trade other than getting the "free" stuff the desroyed wagon drops. The elves of course still get thier full yearly export of terror and offerings of vengance. I tried to alleviate the backups by building additional depots. I still have the same problem except now it's in 3 separate places. Anyone know a way to prevent this?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: August 10, 2013, 05:27:50 pm »

Ok, I'm running into another issue now that I never had in vanilla DF. I've also read the last ten or so pages of posts here and haven't seen this issue discussed. Basically, I have trade relations with humans, elves, meowkin, nephilim, and of course dwarves. At first this seemed cool, but after the first year I started getting 2 caravans at the same time 2x a year, with elves being the one that comes by themselves. The problem is that one of the wagons gets to the depot and starts unloading and the other civ's wagons run into it freezeing them there and causing massive traffic jams. Eventually one or more wagons gets destroyed and that civ tries to pack up and leave. Unfortunately it usually prevents either caravan from unloading before they are ready to leave preventing any sort of trade other than getting the "free" stuff the desroyed wagon drops. The elves of course still get thier full yearly export of terror and offerings of vengance. I tried to alleviate the backups by building additional depots. I still have the same problem except now it's in 3 separate places. Anyone know a way to prevent this?
I've never actually had this problem, and I suspect it would be caused by some flaw in your depot system. Only one depot is ever really needed, and when multiple caravans unload to trade, they share the place fine. Selecting Trade opens a menu to select which caravan you wish to direct the trading effort at.

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: August 10, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

Yeah I get the menu to select which caravan but due to the backups not letting all of either caravan in to unload both civs say they are still unloading until one or more wagons die. I didn't get a screenshot last time but assuming it happens again as it has the last several times I'll post one soon.

Edit: This is a pic of the caravan the following season. The dwarves from the past season have not left yet and apparently thier presence is blocking access to the depot. This is still early spring so maybe a month since the Nephilim have shown up and already the traffic jam has killed a wagon.

The pileup

I have the cursor over the wagon remains so you can see it's not just a stack of wood or a dump pile.

Edit2: This is completely off topic but I just saw how tiny my screenshots are on the forum, how can i get them to be full sized?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:25:47 pm by !!Fyre!! »

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:39 am »

This is not a problem with LFR. This also happens in vanilla DF. From my own experience it seems to happen because wagons have some trouble with turns, especially when they are packed right behind each-other. Sometimes in a turn a wagon will inexplicably get "stuck" and eventually die. I can't clearly see what your caravan path is because the image is so small, but I'm guessing it's not just a straight path. For me, once I started making the caravan path completely straight, I never had any more problem with wagons freezing, no matter how many civs were coming to trade that season.

*edit: and by "straight path" I mean a 3-time wide path with walls on the side, forcing wagons to proceed in an orderly manner. I usually do this right up to the map edge with bridges for the last bit as the only path to the depot, to force the wagons to appear there instead of navigating around the landscape and possibly glitching.

To address your question about screenshots, what I've found that works is if I upload the image to an image-sharing site (flickr in my case), navigate to the URL of the uploaded image (by itself, meaning ww._______.jpg) and inserting that in-between the image tags used for this forum.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:36:04 am by lukstra »

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: August 12, 2013, 12:56:04 am »

A question of my own:

My rather small fortress was chugging along quietly when I suddenly get a bunch of messages about interruptions by my archer squad captain, of all things. I zoom to the action, and see that the guy is trying to kill everybody, though I can still control him through the squad screen. Looking at the personality screen reveals nothing out of the ordinary, other then that he is suddenly an enemy of my civ. I can't order my militia captain to directly kill him, so I instead station him nearby. He immediately goes to attack the marksdwarf, and after inflicting several wounds, another dwarf comes, picks the marksdwarf up and tries to bring him to the hospital, all the while trying to flee from him at the same time. Eventually, after a chase all over the fortress, interrupting all industry, the marksdwarf is killed.

Is this some kind of hidden feature of LFR? I've never had this happen in a regular game. I don't think this was a loyalty cascade, since nothing had died in almost a year. However, I had just traded for a watcher from a caravan, though it was still sitting in the trade depot in it's cage.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:11:13 am by lukstra »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 240