Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397264 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20b *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3285 on: July 23, 2013, 06:27:10 pm »

Ah, I see.  I was overthinking it.  ???

Looks like I got 2 ether bars from melting down all 10 spheres.  That's not enough for the cabinet, so the alchemy continues.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:33:38 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: July 24, 2013, 03:28:28 pm »

Something weird just happened to my fortress and I'm not sure what caused it.  I don't know whether it was an LFR thing, or a vanilla thing.

The entrance to my fortress goes through a dwarf-wash (a 3-tile trench filled with 2/7 water).  At some point, shortly after the arrival of an elven caravan, and a bunch of bog troll thieves and ambushes, and the activation of a cold zinger that arrived with some recent migrants, somehow some extra water ended up in this dwarf-wash.  This made the trench too deep to cross, effectively cutting my fortress in half -- nobody could cross the water boundary.  It took me a while to figure out why dwarves were just standing around doing nothing, etc.  I extended the trench one tile west to spread the water out, and that "fixed" it, but....

Now I'm wondering how this extra water got into the trench.  There were supposed to be 6 units of water in the trench, but there were 11 (3/7 + 4/7 + 4/7, currently spread out to 2/7 + 3/7 + 3/7 + 3/7).  Somehow an extra 5 units of water got in there.  I double-checked that there were no active pond zones on it.  (This dwarf-wash has been in place for several in-game years, so that wasn't likely anyway.)

What else, apart from dwarves filling a pond, or flooding, or pumping, could have put water in there?  Do bog trolls bleed water, or something?  Do zinger explosions cause it to condense out of the atmosphere?  I'm wondering what I need to avoid in the future....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: July 24, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

Do zinger explosions cause it to condense out of the atmosphere?

A tile of any amount of water can be made to freeze.  Once frozen, it will completely fill the square that had contained water (possibly blocking movement) and upon thawing it will become a 7-deep square of water which will then behave normally.

By the math you gave, it seems likely that a single 2-deep pond square froze, then thawed to release the extra 5 units of water into your system.  This is from DF's programming, not LFR's changes.

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: July 24, 2013, 06:43:15 pm »

Thanks.  That does sound like the most likely explanation.

Those damned zingers... I think I need to figure out a way to arrange some "accidents".  Far, far away.  Sure, the burning elves were great, but the frozen dwarf babies, not so much.  I slaughtered all the non-pet zingers, but the pets can't be dealt with so easily.

Or maybe I can just pasture them all in alcoves and wall 'em up like casks of amontillado.  That would be easier....

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: July 24, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »

My suggestion is that you cage them. You can knock them out with cave-in dust over a cage trap and capture them, then release them into a hole over the enemy.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:01 am »

I can't cage pets.  I can't even tie 'em up.  All I can do is pasture them.

Having the enemies attacked by the zingers isn't helping me either.  Either the zinger sets the entire outdoor Z-level on fire, or it causes some sort of super-cold freeze explosion chain reaction, where the zinger explodes and does damage to everything in range, and then the enemy wanders a few steps, and then it starts exploding and doing damage to everything in range, etc.

Surely there's a way to weaponize them without causing more damage to my dwarves than to the enemy, but I'm not clever enough to come up with it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:52 am »

You have to trick them into being caged by knocking them out over a cage trap. The dust cloud from a cave-in knocks everything in its path out temporarily, which removes trap immunity. You can also use this to cage your own dwarves.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:02 pm »

Can't you just build a cage and then assign a pet to it?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:15 pm »

Consider picking a very safe portion of your fortress which is also distant from areas used for parties or meeting zones and making a series of 1x1 pastures with ample walking space around them, so that each is accessible without a dwarf being forced to walk through any pasture.  I consider these 'pastures' to be 'lock downs'.

Assign 1 non-grazing animal to any of those 1x1 pastures, then forget about it.  The creature will be freed from the square if another dwarf or animal enters that pasture - but with ample walking area around, no dwarf should ever do so, and most free animals who happen into the area should go around as well.  If the 'locked down' animal gives birth, immediately go to the pasture and free the babies -  you do not want 2+ animals standing on the same square for long.  I highly recommend assigning each baby to its own lock down immediately after birth.  The mother may or may not have 'escaped' in the chaos of birth, but you can safely ignore that -  dwarves will quickly return any 'escapees' to their assigned lock down without further interaction required by you.

Bonus trick - if ever animal you have is either caged or pastured, identifying newborns or any accidentally freed from pasture critter you have becomes a snap, when you go to the pasture you've chosen for a new, free beast, all the other critters will be displayed as already having an assigned location, so you just select one of the very few that are free.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:02 pm »

Consider picking a very safe portion of your fortress which is also distant from areas used for parties or meeting zones and making a series of 1x1 pastures with ample walking space around them, so that each is accessible without a dwarf being forced to walk through any pasture.  I consider these 'pastures' to be 'lock downs'.

Well, I started by putting them waaay in the back of the underground sculpture garden, just as a temporary measure.

Then I dug some 1x2 alcoves near the (still unused) prison cells.  Built some green glass grates.  Assigned pet zingers into the prison alcoves, and installed the grates in front of them.

If they give birth, the mother and child can fight to the death for all I care.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: July 31, 2013, 01:41:42 am »

So I've been playing DF again for the first time in quite a while because DFTerm and can I just say again (unless I haven't before) that this is my favorite mod? I just love how... I can't put my finger on it. I actually have fun playing it, like, legitimate child-like fun. I usually don't feel that with games in general, much less DF mods where any sense of childlike wonder is completely crushed by my near-encyclopedic knowledge of DF's game mechanics and modding techniques.

Not sure why I feel like I need to gush so much about this, but I just do. It's strangely nostalgic despite being pretty unique as far as content goes that I can think of, and I guess I really like it when things make me feel like I'm 7 years old and playing A Link to the Past again.

Skasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: July 31, 2013, 01:45:02 pm »

Typo report from the manual: "Creatures who get dust in their eyes will hav+e their visi9on severely impaired" Too much + and 9! Drama!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: July 31, 2013, 02:11:48 pm »

Typo report from the manual: "Creatures who get dust in their eyes will hav+e their visi9on severely impaired" Too much + and 9! Drama!

Seems like visual impairment to me.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:08 pm »

Does dfhack allow for the kind of syndromes Ether was planned to have? If so, will we be seeing its original concept again?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »

Does dfhack allow for the kind of syndromes Ether was planned to have? If so, will we be seeing its original concept again?

What kind are those?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 240