Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397616 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #585 on: August 07, 2011, 07:51:49 pm »

(...) I don't ever plan to make a metal of equivalent or superior quality to adamantine, and I haven't changed my mind about that

So hadrine does not count as a 'metal', then? And by the way, just making sure, one hadrine reactive chest plate can be worn with a mail shirt, right? Cuz I don't want to make a whole bunch of hadrine reactive chest plates + adamantine mail shirts, only to discover the name was misleading me.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 07, 2011, 08:28:46 pm »

(...) I don't ever plan to make a metal of equivalent or superior quality to adamantine, and I haven't changed my mind about that

So hadrine does not count as a 'metal', then? And by the way, just making sure, one hadrine reactive chest plate can be worn with a mail shirt, right? Cuz I don't want to make a whole bunch of hadrine reactive chest plates + adamantine mail shirts, only to discover the name was misleading me.

Hadrine is not technically a "metal" because I wanted to restrict its uses to the two custom reactions.  Hadrine is also not as strong as adamantine, but reactive armor can only be made out of hadrine (or if you get VERY lucky with an artifact), and reactive armor has better coverage than anything you can make from adamantine.  Chain mail and caps CAN be worn under reactive armor and helmets.

A hadrine reactive chest plate and an adamantine chain shirt are a "side grade" to an adamantine mail shirt and breastplate.  The adamantine set will be able to absorb slightly more of an impact, but the hadrine/adamantine hybrid set will cover more of the body, resulting in the armor applying its bonuses to more impacts.

Which is more effective is something that's mostly a matter of preference - the hadrine will do more to prevent injuries to the upper arms and legs, but the adamantine breastplate will protect the chest better.  Both can be worn over a chain shirt for substantially greater effect.  Personally, I like the hadrine pieces more because they're better at protecting the extremities, but there are a few situations where a hadrine plate will yield while an adamantine plate will not (this is a trade-off that I am willing to make with my dwarves, but some players might not be - a "side grade").

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39:07 pm »

I can't wait for version 0.14b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 07, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »

I can't wait for version 0.14b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

To fix all the bugs you expect with 0.14a?

I'm flattered, I guess.

;)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »

I just bought a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
from the elves. He was also an adequate presser. I'm guessing this is because of CAN_LEARN, right? Will he actually fly around and set bones of the injured? Because that would be pretty awesome.

I've been really enjoying this mod lately, btw, especially just looking over and reading the raws. It's helped me out quite a bit with the little experiments I've been tinkering with lately. Can't wait for the next version.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 07, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »

I just bought a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
from the elves. He was also an adequate presser. I'm guessing this is because of CAN_LEARN, right? Will he actually fly around and set bones of the injured? Because that would be pretty awesome.

I've been really enjoying this mod lately, btw, especially just looking over and reading the raws. It's helped me out quite a bit with the little experiments I've been tinkering with lately. Can't wait for the next version.

That little find of yours was not intentional, but I doubt it's worth fixing.  A few stock creatures do that periodically as well, and it is linked to the CAN_LEARN tag.  I have no idea what it will do, to be honest - probably not much that a pigeon doesn't normally do.  And thank you, I appreciate the praises, and wish anyone good luck on their own endeavors. :)

I'm currently over on the KSP forums, trying to get an answer (between the intermittent server crashes) as to why the most popular addon database is willing to host every part but mine.  I'll be checking back every few minutes if you all have any questions about the latest version of LFR.

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 07, 2011, 10:10:01 pm »

I think spec ops pigeons should be made more rare and less likely to be encountered in a serious situation. It's funny to see them in a cage bought by the elves, or one in a few large groups of pigeons. But it gets a little annoying and ruins the experience when they are brought along in sieges or something.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 07, 2011, 10:17:39 pm »

I think spec ops pigeons should be made more rare and less likely to be encountered in a serious situation. It's funny to see them in a cage bought by the elves, or one in a few large groups of pigeons. But it gets a little annoying and ruins the experience when they are brought along in sieges or something.

I agree with this, actually.  I axed the [TRAINABLE] token in the most recent test build. They were supposed to be a rare reward for breeding pigeons, but turned out to be pretty useless due to their size, and them showing up in sieges is a little ridiculous.

From 0.14a on, they won't have [CAN_LEARN] or [TRAINABLE].  You'll see one periodically, but they won't be an active participant in combat anymore - the pigeons, after all, have their own agenda.

They are getting their own lore file, but that's a ways down the road. :)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.14a
« Reply #593 on: August 08, 2011, 01:42:43 am »

Having hit a strange mood and also having run out of visible things to fix, I see no point in delaying the release until Tuesday.  As of right now, 0.14a is up on DFFD.  Follow the links on the front page.

I have changed the downloads to a .zip file for easier accessibility - if for some reason this is a problem for you, please let me know.  As always, report bugs and anomalies as they come up in order for them to be fixed as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:55:18 am by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 08, 2011, 02:29:47 am »

Narhiril, I must say this just made my week. And it's Monday!

Could you post all the things you have added in here? I'm going to start a fort as soon as possible, but I would like to hear what the new reactions and workshops and other stuff are before I start. You know, for planning my fortress.

Also, some tips on how they should be used is appreciated (like that ritual that gives you wooden weapons or something? The one that you wrote in green colored text.)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 08, 2011, 04:03:31 am »

Aww, and I almost planned on going to sleep right now...
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 08, 2011, 05:44:38 am »

Also, the crystal growth tank. I checked the raws I downloaded and noticed it was... well, a little mundane. I mean, it takes a building material, a rainbow diamond and a single barrel? I was imagining... glass tanks, and perhaps the size of kennels or siege workshops. We are changing stones to crystals in a high tech way, and this thing probably shouldn't be that mundane, right?

Maybe you could add a new clear glass item (clear glass tank) just for this? Like how the clear glass box is used for display cases and display cases only.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:23:03 pm by Pan »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 08, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »

Narhiril, I must say this just made my week. And it's Monday!

Could you post all the things you have added in here? I'm going to start a fort as soon as possible, but I would like to hear what the new reactions and workshops and other stuff are before I start. You know, for planning my fortress.

Also, some tips on how they should be used is appreciated (like that ritual that gives you wooden weapons or something? The one that you wrote in green colored text.)

The lore_pantheon.txt file details most of the rituals, but I'll go ahead and transcribe the full reaction list.

--Sacrificial Altar--

All rituals have a chance of "divine displeasure," which causes intense pain for a little while and might light things on fire periodically.

Lesser Ritual of Shelter (s)

Takes 5 plants, can produce wood, shields, rubies, and helms.  Useful for fortresses without ample wood supplies, and for some cheap shields.

Greater Ritual of Shelter (S)

Takes 15 plants, can produce greater quantities of wood, rubies, shields, helms, and a few items of unique materials, including a unique sword and shield (rare).  Useful for fortresses without ample wood supplies, and for some cheap shields and possibly weapons.

Lesser Ritual of Power (p)

Takes 3 totems, can produce bone (or another unique material similar to iron) bolts, bloodstones, and a decent, unique blunt weapon.  Useful for outfitting fortresses that rely on hunting or raising livestock.

Greater Ritual of Power (P)

Takes 8 totems, can produce bone or "strong" bone bolts, javelins, a unique (rare) trap component, and a small assortment of unique weapons.  Useful for outfitting fortresses that rely on hunting or raising livestock.

Lesser Ritual of Sustenance (u)

Takes 1 bucket, can fill the bucket with water (60%).  Useful for fortresses with limited or no water supply.

Greater Ritual of Sustenance (U)

Takes 1 bucket and 1 live vermin, more likely to fill the bucket without consequence.  Useful for fortresses with limited or no water supply.

Lesser Ritual of Wealth (w)

Takes 1 stack of coins, can produce low level gems, white gold arrows and blowdarts, and a unique weapon (rare).  Useful for fortresses looking to convert cheap metals into more valuable ones.

Greater Ritual of Wealth (W)

Takes 3 stacks of coins, can produce low level gems, white gold arrows and blowdarts, white gold bars, white gold trade goods, and the same unique weapon (less rare).  Useful for fortresses looking to convert cheap metals into more valuable ones.

Lesser Ritual of Knowledge (k)

Takes 3 stacks of cloth, can produce magma-proof barrels, buckets, and mechanisms.  Useful for keeping your buckets safe in the ritual of sustenance, as well as any magma-related applications.

Greater Ritual of Knowledge (K)

Takes 10 stacks of cloth, can produce larger quantities of magma-proof barrels, bins, buckets, and mechanisms, as well as precision tools (rare).  Useful for keeping your buckets safe in the ritual of sustenance, as well as any magma-related applications.  Can advance the mechanical tech tree in the absence of orichalcum.

Banshee Funeral Rite (b)

Takes 1 ectoplasmic remnant, creates one ethereal statue (moved from Alchemy Lab).

Kogut's First Sacrifice (x)

Takes 1 of each shrine component (see below), produces an item needed to build the fishing pond.

--Temple Component Foundry (TCF) --

Can create enormous goblets (several gold bars), candelabras (several silver bars and rough gems), and overgrown pedestals (stone and plants), which are used in
the construction of the shrines and in a special sacrifice at the altar (see above).

--Shrines--

The reactions available at the shrines don't currently do anything significant - they are placeholders for later developments.

--Crystal Growth Tank--

A "tier three" mechanical building requiring a rainbow diamond (made sometimes from hadrine synthesis).  Converts mundane stone into a stone of a chosen color, and often produces similarly-colored gems as a byproduct (for windows).  Useful for selectively coloring your constructions.  The appearance of this workshop is admittedly lackluster and is subject to further revision.

--Trash Compactor--

A "tier one" mechanical building for converting excess tech advancement slabs to a unique (but unremarkable) stone.  Used as a "sink" for clutter once advances are unlocked.  Future developments are planned for this workshop.

--Orrery--

A "tier two" mechanical building that trains the teacher, student, and observer skills, and produces slabs of accreditation.  Intended to make combat demonstrations more effective, as well as contributing to documentation.

--Fishing Pond--

A "hybrid" building, requiring a product of the altar and advanced mechanics workshop.  Used for indoor fishing when natural supplies run out.  Can be used to fish without input, or can be used to create "lures" from stone and thread, which can then be used to provide a possible (very) large catch.

--Smelter--

A reaction has been added to this workshop to melt down ethereal spheres without producing a tantrum spiral.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 08, 2011, 12:36:50 pm »

I would like to state, for the record, that I am aware that the rituals are not the most exciting things I could have dreamed up, but it is important to note that these are BASE LEVEL reactions.  They're available from the get-go, and not meant to be as heavily relied on later in the life of a fortress.  The REALLY fun stuff for the ritual tech tree will come in tiers two and beyond. 

0.14a was supposed to be a final update before the new features of Dwarf Fortress.  Since the new version of Dwarf Fortress has not yet been released, 0.14a has grown a lot bigger than originally planned, and the agenda for the next update is not completely certain.  That being said, I hope you enjoy the new features of 0.14a.  The fishing pond is my personal favorite.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:39:13 pm by narhiril »

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 08, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

New reactions are just fine, narhiril. I'll be abandoning my current fort and starting a new one. I'll let you know if I find anything buggy  ;)

Also, you might want to update the manual. For example, voidwalkers being cloaked in sieges do not really go with 'voidwalker extermination force on the horizon is a terrible sight to behold' unless the dwarves are using some scrying technology.

Also, maybe a little (just a little) lore on how the sabre tooths were domesticated? Some may raise eyebrows without this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:24:38 pm by TehNoob »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 240