Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397614 times)

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #570 on: August 05, 2011, 02:00:23 am »

Also, are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
just something to sell?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:05 am »

So, Narhiril, the release next week is on Monday, or a little later than that?

The harsh and scary thing sounds good to me too. The 'past civilizations' thing that LFR talks about has potential for some interesting creatures.

And the whole thing with kittens kicking all that ass... Why? Aren't they smaller and all that? Maybe reducing their litter size or something would help?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:45:50 am by Pan »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

So, Narhiril, the release next week is on Monday, or a little later than that?

The harsh and scary thing sounds good to me too. The 'past civilizations' thing that LFR talks about has potential for some interesting creatures.

And the whole thing with kittens kicking all that ass... Why? Aren't they smaller and all that? Maybe reducing their litter size or something would help?

Mmmm... Monday might be a bit early for me, since I'm travelling most of Saturday and Sunday.  Tuesday or Wednesday is more likely, unless something goes horribly wrong with these last few raws (I don't anticipate this).

Ugh, those damn kittens.  I'll be testing a few fixes for them over the next day or two.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:38 pm »

You have a good point there! Plus, Narhiril mentioned new types of bone/leather etc for nasty beasties, too. So, scary monsters, and chairs made out of scary monsters! Everyone wins.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »

with those scary desert guys, i dunno much on fighting against them, but my previous fort, before the drow related experiment, had them as embarkable pets (long story, that), so a brought a boatload of males for combat purposes along with my war-everythings (dogs, rhinos, giraffes, and various underground critters, including gcs) and two females.
interesting things of note: they very frequently give birth to triplets. three or four seem to be able to overwhelm and kill a bog troll thief. like gremlins, gorlaks, and animal men, if they're brought to your map already tame, they have names. and all their kids will be named, even if the parents weren't (mind you, taming them requires modding their raws). and, like the children of gremlins and gorlaks, their kids will be targeted by snatchers, if they're closer than your dwarven children. much nicer to lose one of those than a dwarf kid. or, as usually happens, have the parents make a meal of the would-be snatcher

also, on their cloud/syndrome attack, it's really great. i even pointed it out in another thread to someone who was looking to make something really similar. hope you don't mind, narhiril

and, on those damned kittens. i don't mind it at all. it actually sorta fits, in a way. real cats are all nice, cute and fluffy one instant, and tearing things to shreds the next. so, a race of them, when something pisses them off enough to get the claws out...it ain't gonna be pretty. the previous fort (one mentioned above) had the humans at war with the meowkin, and they were both pretty much at a draw. guess that other world, they just got lucky with their bit of warmongery. normally, they're just fine. the cute, cuddly traders you expect

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 05, 2011, 07:08:01 pm »

If only there was a way to exert more control on the numbers and type of animals / non civ units spawned on a map. Then there could be a sort of progression for wildlife (and undead, semi-megabeasts, tribals, wandering monsters, etc) so that new forts wouldn't have to contend with 10 giant skeletal eagles, but a later well established fort could still be confronted by a similar threat.

Perhaps this will be added to DF one day.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 05, 2011, 11:12:10 pm »

If only there was a way to exert more control on the numbers and type of animals / non civ units spawned on a map. Then there could be a sort of progression for wildlife (and undead, semi-megabeasts, tribals, wandering monsters, etc) so that new forts wouldn't have to contend with 10 giant skeletal eagles, but a later well established fort could still be confronted by a similar threat.

Perhaps this will be added to DF one day.

Rest assured that I'm in for the long haul.  As long as there's a new version of DF on the horizon, expect a new version of LFR to be close behind.

I should warn you all, however, that I have some health problems that will likely warrant a pretty invasive operation within a year or two.  I will likely be out of commission (just for a few weeks or so) when that happens.  I will, of course, give notice when that time comes.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 06, 2011, 01:43:34 am »

Spoiler: Patch notes for 0.14a (click to show/hide)

This is pretty close to finalized.  The next few days will be spent travelling and testing before a release on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2011, 01:51:08 am »

This is pretty close to finalized.  The next few days will be spent travelling and testing before a release on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Exciting!

Also, I know you said it wasn't for some time in the future, but good luck on whatever that operation is. As someone that's been in hospitals a couple times before, I know it can be an unpleasant experience.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 06, 2011, 01:52:04 am »

Also, I just noticed you mentioned me in the manual. I'm famous!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2011, 02:31:25 am »

I try to keep a running tab of people whose continued feedback has substantially helped improve the mod.  For anyone else, if you feel like you have been overlooked, please go ahead and say something.  As they say, the squeaky elf gets the axe...  Or something like that.

Exciting!

Also, I know you said it wasn't for some time in the future, but good luck on whatever that operation is. As someone that's been in hospitals a couple times before, I know it can be an unpleasant experience.

I sincerely appreciate that.

Also, are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
just something to sell?

I apologize, I seem to have overlooked that post.  They can be sold or used as a fairly decent blunt weapon.

so, my latest test fort, making sure some of my own mods worked, as well as mixing two other full mods with lfr worked fine (one only introduced the drow and all their related stuff, the other was a huge one, direforged) and discovered that my civ was both at war with the meowkin and extinct. went and checked in legends...those little kittens are vicious when they get all warmongery! they've taken out my dwarf civ, the local drow civ, *and* one of the local human civs. apparently still on trading terms with the other two humans, the neph, and the rest of the not immediately aggro groups in their vicinity

kinda sucks, 'cause i was excited when i saw that the now extinct dwarves started out with access to war giant desert scorpions...first i've seen that since i made them non exotic and war trainable, months ago. good news is, nothing in error logs, so i got the mishmash all working together, though

A slight tweak to the Meowkin is coming for 0.14a, which seems to partially alleviate the frequency and severity of that sort of thing.

--

Going to bed, I've got a long day of driving tomorrow.  I'll get on to check and respond when I get to the hotel.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 06, 2011, 11:51:52 pm »

I'd like to ask permission to use some of your weapons; not many, I may add, but a few. They'll probably be renamed, but most of them will be about the same, and you'll get more credit than you already have in the mod :3

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 07, 2011, 12:03:13 am »

I'd like to ask permission to use some of your weapons; not many, I may add, but a few. They'll probably be renamed, but most of them will be about the same, and you'll get more credit than you already have in the mod :3

Heh, no problem.

Got some raws finished up today for a few last-minute additions, including a new building.  I've been having a little bit of trouble getting it to do exactly what I want it to do, but I have a working alternative that will probably have to suffice.

In case you're curious, I was trying to get a reaction to produce a butcherable corpse, but this is causing all sorts of problems, so I will likely need to simply make it produce the meat directly.  Another day of driving and some last minute testing to clean up any glaringly obvious problems, and this one will roll out on schedule - certainly by Wednesday, but it's looking more and more likely that I can get it wrapped up for Tuesday.  Tonight was mostly combing through some minor issues - In summary, a bit of me being dumb and assigning the same hotkey to two different reactions at the altar, tweaking workshop appearances, playing around with percent chances, a few last-minute easter eggs, and typing up a pretty decent new lore file.  Oh yeah, and crashing my modified test copy with the CORPSE token. 

I really don't know why we even have that token.  It doesn't work in reagent lines and it crashes the game in product lines.  [/rant]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:04:54 am by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 07, 2011, 12:45:42 pm »

I try to keep a running tab of people whose continued feedback has substantially helped improve the mod.  For anyone else, if you feel like you have been overlooked, please go ahead and say something.  As they say, the squeaky elf gets the axe...  Or something like that.

Hehe, I was reading the manual the other day when I was on holiday at an internet-less hotel and was surprised to see my name there.

Anyway, these past few days saw an end to my fortress. Voidwalkers  ::). I was running out of sabre tooth tigers, and I had challenged myself to not use adamantine so as to fully experience fighting a technologically superior opponent. Suffice to say, the experience did not end as well as I had hoped. Those earlier battles where I had triumphed against voidwalkers were mostly due to the sabre tooth tigers distracting them while my poorly equipped soldiers tried their best to hack them apart. As the voidwalker sieges got larger and piled up, I lost the war of attrition. Had a hell of a last stand, though, with the remaining soldiers (clad in voidshard and all a weapon lord/master) patched up in time for another siege and most civs issued crossbows or whips against a 50-ish something voidwalker siege. Lost 40 something guys and abandoned.

Was hesitant to start new fort, so I've been patiently *twitch* waiting for the update for the past 3 *twitch* days.

Gave adventurer mode a try, and it was fun for a while when i rolled up demigods and killing people by maiming their faces while their unconscious.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:30 pm »

Hehe, I was reading the manual the other day when I was on holiday at an internet-less hotel and was surprised to see my name there.

Anyway, these past few days saw an end to my fortress. Voidwalkers  ::). I was running out of sabre tooth tigers, and I had challenged myself to not use adamantine so as to fully experience fighting a technologically superior opponent. Suffice to say, the experience did not end as well as I had hoped. Those earlier battles where I had triumphed against voidwalkers were mostly due to the sabre tooth tigers distracting them while my poorly equipped soldiers tried their best to hack them apart. As the voidwalker sieges got larger and piled up, I lost the war of attrition. Had a hell of a last stand, though, with the remaining soldiers (clad in voidshard and all a weapon lord/master) patched up in time for another siege and most civs issued crossbows or whips against a 50-ish something voidwalker siege. Lost 40 something guys and abandoned.

Was hesitant to start new fort, so I've been patiently *twitch* waiting for the update for the past 3 *twitch* days.

Gave adventurer mode a try, and it was fun for a while when i rolled up demigods and killing people by maiming their faces while their unconscious.

It's coming on Tuesday, most likely.  I've only run into a few things so far that need any revision.

Also, go ahead and break out the adamantine.  The voidwalkers are MUCH more dangerous in this coming version, and they'll be quite a challenge even with exceptional gear.  As the ritual tree develops, I might be able to buff them even more.  I stated very early in development that I don't ever plan to make a metal of equivalent or superior quality to adamantine, and I haven't changed my mind about that, but there are other things I can tweak on both sides of the battlefield.  This next version of DF is going to make some revolutionary things possible.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 240