Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397599 times)

Merijeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #555 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:03 pm »

Allright, what's the process to actually making use of my slab showing the design of a super new and cool javelin thrower? I can't build an advanced metal caster without making it...

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:12 pm »

Allright, what's the process to actually making use of my slab showing the design of a super new and cool javelin thrower? I can't build an advanced metal caster without making it...

It is a random product of the "document alchemical research" reaction.

If you have any training workshops running, they will kick out slabs of accreditation for the documentation reaction.  The "document alchemical research" reaction gets rid of these slabs and also has a chance to produce different slabs for other advances.  The slab required for the advanced metal caster is one of these chance products.

The best way to unlock it is to have one or more training workshops running smoothly, then to dedicate an alchemy lab to "document alchemical research" on repeat.  Check back periodically to see if they've got any new advances for you.  As I recall, the advanced metal caster advancement is one of the more common of the possible ones.

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:41 am »

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I found a bug. I had three Nephilim traders come at the end of summer, so I brought out my goods and all that good stuff, and I noticed that the Yak they brought hadn't come inside the fort, and they left it behind. Then i noticed that both the Yak and the Donkey they had still had all of their goods on it and that nothing was actually in the depot to trade. Is this just an error somehow on my part?

EDIT: I offered them about 2000 dwarfbucks worth of stuff, and I dumped what I thought was an appropriate amount from their animals. I hope they don't get pissed off at me.

DOUBLEDIT: It seems that I can't release the TAME animals that I dumped off of them either. Every time I try it spams me with a "Cannot release large animal. Needs empty cage." Anyone know what this is about?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:42:12 am by Captain Insano »
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 04, 2011, 04:03:34 am »

nephilim are fliers, their pack animals aren't. so, if the silly winged giants decide not to wait for their yaks to get to your depot by a reasonable route (for example...they fly down steep cliffs or even just fly over a tree instead of walking around it) they arrive way, way before their animals and never get around to unpacking when they do finally arrive. we tend to sorta fudge this as 'they're not here to trade, just visiting to make sure our fortress, their nominal ally, isn't in danger'

i normally just steal the weapons/armor of the guards (armor for melting down) and leave 'em be. occasionally lock 'em in the depot with humans or elves, so both races will decide to slaughter each other and give me more to cook

as for the animals, as long as the merchant that owned them is still on the map, they belong to him, even if you stole 'em. once he leaves, they should become yours. if you look at the unit list, they'll still be listed as merchant related units

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 04, 2011, 06:19:27 am »

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I found a bug. I had three Nephilim traders come at the end of summer, so I brought out my goods and all that good stuff, and I noticed that the Yak they brought hadn't come inside the fort, and they left it behind. Then i noticed that both the Yak and the Donkey they had still had all of their goods on it and that nothing was actually in the depot to trade. Is this just an error somehow on my part?

EDIT: I offered them about 2000 dwarfbucks worth of stuff, and I dumped what I thought was an appropriate amount from their animals. I hope they don't get pissed off at me.

DOUBLEDIT: It seems that I can't release the TAME animals that I dumped off of them either. Every time I try it spams me with a "Cannot release large animal. Needs empty cage." Anyone know what this is about?
I've had similar problems. 'cept they won't leave if you offer them ANYTHING. they're like mercs!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 04, 2011, 06:59:05 am »

I think these Nephals may be more trouble than their worth...

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 04, 2011, 07:27:52 am »

if you want a quick fix for it (until we get to do something like assign specific domestic types other than common...like flying domestic for nephilim, aquatic domestic to lizardmen and other waterborne races or cavern domestic, so dwarves finally don't start with sheep and cows and other surface critters with their first venture out of their deep, dark holes) you can just take the flier tag off the neph, and they'll walk like their pack beasts do. or just steal stuff from 'em. the clothes/armor off their backs is no trouble. but if you keep stealing from their caravans, you'll eventually get smacked around by huge flying things with steel or better gear

as is, i use them to find ways fliers can get into my fort while i'm sealing it off. much nicer that they show me before a titan, nightwing, or harpy pack does...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 04, 2011, 09:51:53 am »

Nephals occasionally give you gifts in the form of splattered pack animals. It gets annoying with all their holy codex and whatnot, and they will probably attack you later cuz their caravans were damaged on your lands. You can't give them offerings, since that will bug them to stay in your depot.

I'll get to using DFHack one of these days to create magma and incinerate those pack yak and horse corpses piled with all the unmeltable stuff.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:58:10 am by Pan »

Merijeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 04, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »

If you have any training workshops running, they will kick out slabs of accreditation for the documentation reaction.  The "document alchemical research" reaction gets rid of these slabs and also has a chance to produce different slabs for other advances.  The slab required for the advanced metal caster is one of these chance products.

The best way to unlock it is to have one or more training workshops running smoothly, then to dedicate an alchemy lab to "document alchemical research" on repeat.  Check back periodically to see if they've got any new advances for you.  As I recall, the advanced metal caster advancement is one of the more common of the possible ones.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've got loads of that certificate/slab/whatever.

What do I stick it in to actually PRODUCE the thing so that I can then build the advanced metal caster?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've got loads of that certificate/slab/whatever.

What do I stick it in to actually PRODUCE the thing so that I can then build the advanced metal caster?
Alchemist Lab
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Merijeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 04, 2011, 02:49:55 pm »

...nope. Option isn't there. I've got in white - conduct alchemical experiment, turn stones to gold, conduct plant transmutation, and document alchemical research.

Don't even have those in red!

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:30 pm »

the option should be under the 'e' building option, with smelters and kilns. i believe you need to make an iron or better caster at the advanced mechanic shop, as well, for the second piece to build the caster building itself. those're the only two building materials you'll need. an actual cast for the javelins and the certificate used as a form of blueprint

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:49 pm »

document alchemical research.

That's the one.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 04, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »

so, my latest test fort, making sure some of my own mods worked, as well as mixing two other full mods with lfr worked fine (one only introduced the drow and all their related stuff, the other was a huge one, direforged) and discovered that my civ was both at war with the meowkin and extinct. went and checked in legends...those little kittens are vicious when they get all warmongery! they've taken out my dwarf civ, the local drow civ, *and* one of the local human civs. apparently still on trading terms with the other two humans, the neph, and the rest of the not immediately aggro groups in their vicinity

kinda sucks, 'cause i was excited when i saw that the now extinct dwarves started out with access to war giant desert scorpions...first i've seen that since i made them non exotic and war trainable, months ago. good news is, nothing in error logs, so i got the mishmash all working together, though

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 05, 2011, 01:57:43 am »

What are people's experiences with the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
?

I just encountered some playing a desert fort, they seem fairly rare and nonthreatening. Went down from one dwarf using bone/leather armor and wood weapons in melee. The AI for it also seemed to be similar to a rhesus. They seem to slowly move about, getting closer and closer to the fort, but flee when they see actual dwarves rather than attack. Is this intended? This is my first time seeing them. Looking at their description, they sound terrifying, and their performance and fleeing don't quite match that. Am I simply prejudiced because they're ugly, and they are simply misunderstood? Or perhaps they're supposed to be more frightening and my heroic half naked dwarf was really lucky in combat?

They have fantastic descriptions and interesting abilities (though it didn't save them) and I'd love to see more interesting additions like that, to make the harsh and scary parts of the world seem a bit more harsh and scary.

I know the tech tree is priority one for now, just wondered about people's experiences.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 240