Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397547 times)

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:58 pm »

The mid game fatigue? Thats like, a player condition. I'm not sure what you mean. ???

I get the whips from voidwalkers. Glistening voidshard whips are quite dangerous.

I know whips are so dangerous because they apply their attack over a very tiny area, making them kind of like lasers.... Does being made out of voidshard help this? I thought blunt weapons were better if they were more dense, and voidshard wasn't that dense (so a silver whip would be really powerful?)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

It saddens me that any suggestion about improving the core game is met like this. I understand the fanbase's love of the game and it's creator, but ANYTHING can be improved. DF certainly has massive issues with optimization and especially it's UI, being often non-intuitive , and the learning curve (most menus don't even use the same letters for the same furniture or building). If anyone saw the NY times interview with today recently ( called "the brilliance of dwarf fortress" ) The interviewer said the one time he was bitter was when he mentioned minecraft, and how it did so well financially and was so popular. Toady raged at it being due to a "problem with society". The problem being that people like to be able to play the game I suppose.

This is because Toady is approaching the project with maximization of long-term development efficiency in mind.  He intends to continue adding features and core functionality to the game for a long time.  Considering he doesn't know what code added to the game later will look like, or what changes he will have to make to code that already exists to accomodate new features, it would increase the difficulty and time consumption of development greatly if he concerned himself with maintaining a clean UI and optimized performance.  Instead, he has an outline of all the core functionality he wants in the game, and will begin optimizing after all of that stuff has been implemented.

You might argue that he subsists on donations from people who are currently playing the game and thus it would be wise to maintain a good level of playability.  That is a perfectly valid argument.  It's also a matter of balance between priorities that is entirely personal judgment in Toady's hands.  We have seen optimization in recent releases, so he is at least trying to ensure that his game remains playable throughout development.  He's just not bothering with keeping it maximumly convenient at all times.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »

The mid game fatigue? Thats like, a player condition. I'm not sure what you mean. ???

I get the whips from voidwalkers. Glistening voidshard whips are quite dangerous.

I know whips are so dangerous because they apply their attack over a very tiny area, making them kind of like lasers.... Does being made out of voidshard help this? I thought blunt weapons were better if they were more dense, and voidshard wasn't that dense (so a silver whip would be really powerful?)

I just assumed voidshard was sharper. Whips deal goring damage, right? So the sharper the better?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »

I just assumed voidshard was sharper. Whips deal goring damage, right? So the sharper the better?
Only two damage types: Blunt and Edge.
Last I checked whips were blunt, though scourges are the real killer.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:53 pm »

All it takes is one touch from a scourge and a dwarf instantly passes out from pain if it destroys a bone.  The next hit is always a fatal head shot.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »

Yeah, a voidshard scourge should be awesome in every sense of the word.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2011, 10:09:32 pm »

That gives them the ability to stealth siege.

Thank you, I'll play around with that for the voidwalkers.

Aye, I'm guilty of making them embark purchasable. I mean, why not? It's easy to just make up a story on how the dwarves found and tamed the great beasts underground. And their very rare in caverns, so I decided to hell with that.

Hmm, just got a large goblin siege that is closely followed by a voidwalker annihilation force. The two large army is duking it out at the edges of the map, with 4 squads of gobs and 2 squads of trolls vs 3 squads of voidwalkers. This is going to be fun.

WAIT wait wait wait...  What?  You got those damn things to fight each other?  I've been trying to get them to do that for five versions now.  Did you add the [AMBUSHER] tag to the voidwalkers?

Yeah, a voidshard scourge should be awesome in every sense of the word.

There is a pseudo "legendary" whip variant that is even better.  I won't tell you what it is though, just hope you get lucky with weapons concepts.  :)

My laptop decided today was the day to roll over and die, so I've been frantically running around town today trying to salvage the hard drive.  Thankfully, everything is ok, and I saved all of the work I'd done over the last few weeks.  I'm back with a new rig, built to simulate some dwarves.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2011, 11:23:40 pm »

WAIT wait wait wait...  What?  You got those damn things to fight each other?  I've been trying to get them to do that for five versions now.  Did you add the [AMBUSHER] tag to the voidwalkers?

Nope. Everything is LoFR vanilla. I did minor things like tweaking out many clothes to save FPS (no more socks).

Although that was only the goblins the voidwalkers fought. The voidwalkers are perfectly at peace with the lizard folk. Not sure about the bog trolls, since the voidwalkers were already dead when them trolls showed up.

Palpatine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2011, 11:42:08 pm »

Hello, just a suggestion for helping to make the ritual tree differentiated from tech.  One of the things you could do is offer the ability to summon servants from various deities as one of the ritual branches.  A successful ritual for this purpose would make a caged, tame, non-breedable special being appear.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »

Hello, just a suggestion for helping to make the ritual tree differentiated from tech.  One of the things you could do is offer the ability to summon servants from various deities as one of the ritual branches.  A successful ritual for this purpose would make a caged, tame, non-breedable special being appear.

Creatures cannot be created, destroyed, or even involved in custom reactions.  It would be fun, but it can't be done, unfortunately.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 28, 2011, 01:48:16 am »

As someone who recently lost their hard drive I am glad to hear the death of the laptop didn't wipe out your work on the next version!

Think of it as an excuse to upgrade?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 29, 2011, 12:10:55 am »

As someone who recently lost their hard drive I am glad to hear the death of the laptop didn't wipe out your work on the next version!

"Upgrade" is an understatement.  I went state of the art and converted the old one to an external hard drive.  I'm running with over a terrabyte of free memory now, with 8G ram and a hardcore dedicated gfx card on a laptop.  The thing is monstrous - it's bigger than the bag I used for my last computer.

Someday in a few years I'll look back on this post with my 300T rig and go "lol terrabyte nub," but for now I'm on the bleeding edge.

Now lets see if it can handle 200 dwarves >.>

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 29, 2011, 12:51:11 am »

"Upgrade" is an understatement.  I went state of the art and converted the old one to an external hard drive.  I'm running with over a terrabyte of free memory now, with 8G ram and a hardcore dedicated gfx card on a laptop.  The thing is monstrous - it's bigger than the bag I used for my last computer.

Someday in a few years I'll look back on this post with my 300T rig and go "lol terrabyte nub," but for now I'm on the bleeding edge.

It slays me that you're only sort of joking about not being sure if it can handle that =P

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 29, 2011, 07:35:19 am »

It slays me that you're only sort of joking about not being sure if it can handle that =P

After you try 200 dwarves, try 10K of History. I can't do that on my gaming rig(Vista 64), but my webserver(2008 Std SP2) can often get that far.

Comments on the Mod: Everything I read about it sends chills down my spine ^^; Voidshard -just how the words hit my brain- sounds like the kinda thing where you buy a KITCHEN KNIFE OF IT and let some other schmoo try it out while you're behind thick walls... 'just in case'
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2011, 09:55:56 am »

Do the Elcar REPLACE dwarves? I'm asking this because I haven't seen dwarves at all with this mod, but the elcar do share the same creature description.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 240