Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397488 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:40 am »

Alchemist skill does not matter. My alchemists were useless peasants (a potash maker and a novice clothier, I believe). Have a quantum stone dump next to them, and only conduct alchemy experiments in magma labs. Most of the time, you'll just receive useless copper, silver or gold. Occasionally mithril, and rarely ectoplasm (for banshee funeral rites) and ether. Alchemists always get sick from over exposure, and will barf all over the place. They might occasionally die from the rarer but deadlier symptoms, so alchemy skill does not matter.

Keep in mind to put it at a distance from other things. My two alchemy labs have a channel, two sets of doors, and a raisable drawbridge between them and the other magma workshops.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:52 am »

Ok, so I guess I'll just start with a labor free peasant to get his hands dirty. Thanks thatkid.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2011, 11:38:46 am »

I love that the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
uses a

I sure do like spoiler tags today.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2011, 03:45:18 pm »

Alchemist skill does not matter. My alchemists were useless peasants (a potash maker and a novice clothier, I believe). Have a quantum stone dump next to them, and only conduct alchemy experiments in magma labs. Most of the time, you'll just receive useless copper, silver or gold. Occasionally mithril, and rarely ectoplasm (for banshee funeral rites) and ether. Alchemists always get sick from over exposure, and will barf all over the place. They might occasionally die from the rarer but deadlier symptoms, so alchemy skill does not matter.

My level 12 alchemist has been going for 3 years, and has yet to get sick or injured and produces a lot of gold, silver, and pig iron + enough ethereal spheres for 3 bars of ether, a valuable statue from a banshee rite, and several bars of mithril and steel.  It seems to me like the skill level does matter.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »

Alright, lets see here...

okay 1st of all great mod first one ive added to my repertoire since i dont like game changing or anything being easier, the whole point of df is that you survive despite huge seiges and creepy stuff trying to maul you, and even as you find better things to help you, the enemies get stronger, and you're never safe. This is a principle that should be added to minecraft, imo, because it doesn't have enough threats. 2ndly, i think ive found 2 easter eggs in my game, so heres the screenshots.

1) Special Operations Pigeon

a spec ops pigeon? these guys are always around my fort, special pigeon easter egg?

2)Wierd Savant Guy
okay so I got this migrant wave on my 2nd year, and i was sorting them for what im going to stick them doing, and i go to the last one, pull up his skills and hes got something wierd about him.

Whats a savant skill? I figure i should go check the info screen since this guy is probably some wierd savant or a hidden caste or something, and i get this.

Whats enchanting? I dont see an enchanting related workshop. Is this a super secret eaqster egg? Maybe a new feature? In any case, anyone know what this guy is used as? I might as well use him for his savant skill, but i have no idea where to put him.

The pigeons are an easter egg.  Don't worry, they're so small that they won't affect game play.  The savant is a naturally gifted alchemist.  The reference to "muttering the word 'enchantment'" in his description is a nod to Sandal from Dragon Age.

Alchemy skill impacts the quality of the products from alchemy reactions.  For alchemical experiments that yield bars, this is irrelevant, but if you're performing a banshee funeral rite or sentinel core research, you're more likely to get a better quality reward from a skilled alchemist.

I love that the
uses a

I sure do like spoiler tags today.

I am pleased that someone notices the little things ;)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2011, 03:55:25 pm »

Alchemy skill impacts the quality of the products from alchemy reactions.  For alchemical experiments that yield bars, this is irrelevant

Actually, it kind of is relevant.  I've had to melt down a bunch of masterwork ethereal spheres, which made my alchemist unhappy.  He killed some poor mason in one punch.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2011, 04:35:03 pm »

Alchemy skill impacts the quality of the products from alchemy reactions.  For alchemical experiments that yield bars, this is irrelevant

Actually, it kind of is relevant.  I've had to melt down a bunch of masterwork ethereal spheres, which made my alchemist unhappy.  He killed some poor mason in one punch.
He had obtained the perfect tools with which to learn more about the ethereal, and your fortress melted them down so some dude could have a nifty sword.
Wouldn't you be angry?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »

My hunter just managed to (somehow) down a leviathan that crawled out of the frozen arctic ocean and sloooooowly hauled its body to the butcher shop....I now have enough food to last *years*. I imagine the dwarves just dragged the entire thing into the dining room and are slowly carving chunks off it's frozen bulk. I'll probably lose the fort to lack of water if anyone stubs a toe though....unless I can mod in those bonfire's of warlords without ruining the save. Probably should have done that before I started.

Just out of curiosity, I know by default ice can't be used to make anything apart from being used as a building material for walls and the like, and it doesn't show up in the list of stones. Is this editable? Icicle spears and bolts and ice spike traps and the like would be pretty awesome.

edit: I know traps can't be edited, I meant using spikes made out of ice, for a spike trap.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:07:11 pm by Carn »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »

My hunter just managed to (somehow) down a leviathan that crawled out of the frozen arctic ocean and sloooooowly hauled its body to the butcher shop....I now have enough food to last *years*. I imagine the dwarves just dragged the entire thing into the dining room and are slowly carving chunks off it's frozen bulk. I'll probably lose the fort to lack of water if anyone stubs a toe though....unless I can mod in those bonfire's of warlords without ruining the save. Probably should have done that before I started.

Just out of curiosity, I know by default ice can't be used to make anything apart from being used as a building material for walls and the like, and it doesn't show up in the list of stones. Is this editable? Icicle spears and bolts and ice spike traps and the like would be pretty awesome.

edit: I know traps can't be edited, I meant using spikes made out of ice, for a spike trap.

I'll look into this, but I don't believe ice is even included in the raws.  It might, however, be possible to use it in reactions.

Merijeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

Question...I've got a miner that's a "Master Savant".

What is that? Savant teacher?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2011, 07:23:22 pm »

Question...I've got a miner that's a "Master Savant".

What is that? Savant teacher?
-snip-

Savants are good at Alchemy. They are the original savant, the OS if you will. All other savants are just copy cats, they be steppin' and trying to get in on the savant's game, but being able to make really cool crossbows does not at all compare to...whatever it is that alchemists do which makes use of quality modifiers.
-snip-

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »

I'll look into this, but I don't believe ice is even included in the raws.  It might, however, be possible to use it in reactions.

Thanks! I doubt I'm the only one, but I have a thing for ice forts - harsh, unforgiving environments that have the potential to kill you just from exposure! Freezing temperatures mean all sorts of crazy freezing trap project possibilities!

Glaciers, tundra, and arctic ocean embarks also tend to be very flat, which I also like. Low elevation, too, if it's near an arctic ocean - faster access to caverns! I hate digging 50-100 levels and not finding them.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2011, 09:23:39 pm »

Thanks! I doubt I'm the only one, but I have a thing for ice forts - harsh, unforgiving environments that have the potential to kill you just from exposure! Freezing temperatures mean all sorts of crazy freezing trap project possibilities!

Glaciers, tundra, and arctic ocean embarks also tend to be very flat, which I also like. Low elevation, too, if it's near an arctic ocean - faster access to caverns! I hate digging 50-100 levels and not finding them.
If it isn't possible, I'd be more than happy to create a building that converts water into blocks of ice and then turns those ice into weapons. It wouldn't be 'real' ice, mind you, but it would still do the trick.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

My level 12 alchemist has been going for 3 years, and has yet to get sick or injured and produces a lot of gold, silver, and pig iron + enough ethereal spheres for 3 bars of ether, a valuable statue from a banshee rite, and several bars of mithril and steel.  It seems to me like the skill level does matter.

Both of mine have been going for 2 years. They are both unskilled. I have gotten a valuable statue from the banshee rite, 2 bars of ether, and lots of gold, silver and pig iron as well as 3 bars of mithril. However, they've been sick 90% of the time. But looking through the raws, I think the byproducts that cause sickness are totally random, and aren't affected by the skill. So how did you manage to get them going 3 years without even a fever?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:25:24 pm by Pan »

Ancient Thingy

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:05 am »

Oh, nevermind, upon testing again it seems that the "bug" has gone away somehow, maybe it was just a figment of my imagination  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 240