Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397455 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #405 on: July 18, 2011, 06:41:30 am »

Long time lurker here! Just registered to tell you that this is a really awesome and creative mod. Keep it up and cheers! Btw, I tried today and found a minor problem - the training workshop takes any weapon, instead of a spear. Its fine by me tho. Good for putting the useless goblin stuff to use.  :)

This requirement was changed late in development.  It's supposed to take any weapon, but early documentation for the mod might not reflect this.  I'll take a look at the manual and make sure it isn't telling people incorrect things again (it tends to do that when I write the entries before finalizing the raws).

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 18, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »

Started playing, this is awesome. I really like having a wing that's way out of the way and filled with alchemist labs that I assign all of the worthless migrants to. They're all kept down there by a burrow and worthless stones are dropped down to them through a chute. No one has died yet but they're all pretty coated in vomit, and they've already produced some mithril.
I haven't gotten much siege-wise, only goblins so far (pretty sure that bog trolls are extinct in my world, even though it said we were at war in the embark screen) but I'm partially terrified, partially looking forward to meeting some voidwalkers.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 18, 2011, 03:28:43 pm »

For what I read (the whole topic in fact) and people commenting it, it seem a great mod and I'll try it. Hopefully, it will be able to keep me scotch again my screen for hours (a thing, for how much I like DF, isn't able to do) :p Time to kick some bogtroll ass :D Or get destroy by them for as much as I know.
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »

For what I read (the whole topic in fact) and people commenting it, it seem a great mod and I'll try it. Hopefully, it will be able to keep me scotch again my screen for hours (a thing, for how much I like DF, isn't able to do) :p Time to kick some bogtroll ass :D Or get destroy by them for as much as I know.
trust me, It is THE BEST MOD EVER. It feels like(I think I've said this before) this was always in the game. it doesn't even feel like a mod!  :D
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 18, 2011, 07:44:42 pm »

I wrote the remainder of the raws for the crystal growth tank, orrery, and trash compactor today, including all associated material and reaction definitions.  I stuck the files into my test copy and took a deep breath, waiting for the game to tell me what hurdles I would need to take on tonight.

The errorlog had a single entry - I had misspelled "ALCHEMIST" in the crystal tank raws once.  Armok has blessed this mod with a ten second period of cleaning up the errorlog.  I can only hope that the rest of the raws go half as smoothly.

Of course, I still need to test these features in game for balance, looks, feel, and to make sure they stay true to the concepts, but the game can at least read everything I've put in so far, and that's normally a major time-consuming process.

All this means that I am likely to get to the ritual tech tree sooner than I had expected, which means more revelations coming soon.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2011, 08:20:29 pm »

About alchemists - I have mine running around with fevers. Do they subside after a while? Or do I have to cave in on top of them so they go to the doctor and hopefully get it treated alongside the cave in injuries?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 18, 2011, 08:41:34 pm »

Syndromes are programmed to wear off after a while, plus I'm pretty sure that dwarven medicine can't cure things like fever or nausea yet.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:12 pm »

The fevers do wear off over a while - they should fully recover after roughly 17 days of in-game time, with the worst symptoms hitting around the third or fourth day.  That is, of course, assuming they aren't exposed again during that time... :)

Alchemy disasters can produce a variety of ailments, the most visible of which is radiation sickness (which can include light to heavy vomiting, fever, and very occasionally, excruciating death).  Other possible results include (but are not limited to) your dwarf lighting themselves on fire (I lit up an entire map by accident one time, very FUN), temporary blindness, and easily-infected chemical burns and rashes.  Though the possibility of a serious disaster is fairly low, alchemists who continue to experiment for long careers are much more likely to die or be horribly disfigured than just about anyone else, except perhaps a front line military grunt.

The next update of Dwarf Fortress is greatly expanding the possibilities for syndromes, so expect future developments in this department of risk and reward, particularly with the planned elements of the ritual tech tree.  Version 0.14a will lay the tier one and tier two framework for this, but the ritual tech tree will not see a good portion of its features until 0.15, which is waiting for the next version of DF.

---

A little more about the ritual tree.  The ritual tech tree is another system of linked buildings that runs parallel to the mechanical tech tree.  It is not necessary to being the mechanical tech tree to begin or advance through much of the ritual tech tree, though there are a few planned "crossover" elements that will require certain advances in both trees.

The mechanical tech tree, thus far, has been based on percentage-chance research and development, relying on discoveries and the like to progress.  The ritual tech tree, though chance is not completely absent, is based much more on the investment of large quantities of resources.  Initially, the only ritual buildings available will be the altars.  While altars do contain a number of chance-based reactions (making offerings to certain spheres in hope of rewards and not retribution), these reactions are not the means by which the tree is advanced.  Unlocking the next advances in the ritual tech tree generally requires the accumulation of enough resources to build a larger and more extravagant ritual platform.  Sometimes, you will need a few of a rare resource (i.e. platinum) to construct the statues necessary for a new temple.  Sometimes, you will need a vast quantity of mundane resources (i.e. stone blocks) to create the arches and spires of a new shrine.  In many cases, you will need some combination of the two.  As the dwarves "advance" down the ritual tech tree, the temples and altars will become exponentially more lavish and complex, and the rituals performed at each will grow potentially more rewarding.

Also unlike the mechanical tech tree, the ritual tech tree does not "unlock" structures in the same way.  While dwarves can record and document their technical advances for replication, temples and shrines do not become significantly cheaper with time or advancement.  Thus, unlike the mechanical tech tree's "back up" copies of advancement items, you will be more inclined to defend your ritual buildings, as constructing a replacement is much more of a daunting challenge.  The sheer size (in terms of both resources and tile space) of later ritual buildings makes this increasingly difficult, but increasingly rewarding.

--

While much of the ritual tree is still in the conceptual phase, a working preview of tiers one and two will be included with 0.14a.

Rest assured, the planned features for 0.14a's ritual tech tree are dynamic and very fun, but they account for less than half of what is planned in the future just for tiers one and two alone.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:37:34 pm by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2011, 10:28:15 pm »

I personally would like to see more the alchemy part expanded a little bit, and perhaps incorporated into the tech tree?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »

I personally would like to see more the alchemy part expanded a little bit, and perhaps incorporated into the tech tree?

You'll be happy to hear this, then.

I have some concepts drawn up for an "advanced alchemy lab" as part of mechanical tier three, which will require more difficult reagents and produce more unique opportunities (and more potential for disasters).  It is unlikely that this building will be finished for 0.14, but it's definitely on the horizon for the next version of DF.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2011, 07:44:45 am »

Awesome.

Anyway, I've decided to use the new zinger raws. After testing them out, I have some opinions on the situation. I used 5 wolves, and tested the syndromes by dropping a fragmentation zinger on them. Nothing happened. The putrids caused nausea just fine, and the fragmentation caused dizziness, but no blindness.

Some other things I've noticed is how zingers are hard to kill. Perhaps you should make them easier to kill? For living hand grenades, they really stink at detonating. While it's perfectly fine for the enemy to stab them to death, causing them to explode, it's really weird that way.

And maybe giving them pus instead of blood and reducing the amount of organs. Make them like cave blobs and floating guts - mysterious, cave creatures. Not complex, don't really fit with the ecology, and unknown. After all, dwarves are deliberately dropping them onto upright spikes to detonate them in the faces of goblins, so it may be better that they are less like an animal, and more like some primordial creation of nature.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:55:20 am by Pan »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #416 on: July 19, 2011, 06:46:50 pm »

Right time to catch up on the latest business for the mod me thinks ^_^ been awhile since I checked any of the threads lol.

Ne ways thats me actually back this time and recording a Forlorn Realms Ep as we speak ^_^

Prob wont start putting any up till next week however

Ne ways hope to see good things ^_^

Ult1mara Out
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 20, 2011, 02:50:29 am »

I'm not sure (too difficult to test, I think), but I think I have a solution to your very deep-underground easter-egg creature fighting-with-local-denizens woe.

Spoiler: Tag contains spoilers (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure if it removes aggressiveness towards the denizens, but it's worth a try.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 20, 2011, 06:20:37 am »

I'm not sure (too difficult to test, I think), but I think I have a solution to your very deep-underground easter-egg creature fighting-with-local-denizens woe.

I'm not sure if it removes aggressiveness towards the denizens, but it's worth a try.

I had the same idea at some point, but it didn't end up working out.  Unfortunately, this token does not work outside of the procedural generated .dat files.  Attempting to put it into the raws will throw out an unrecognized token error.  The same is true for the token that denotes forgotten beasts.

As sad as I am to say so, this bug has run up against a technical limitation that I currently cannot get around.  Fortunately, even though they die sometimes, their populations are so high that wandering replacements are inevitable.  Consider their corpses an omen of things to come.

Although I'm a bit curious that no one has run into anything else fighting the stuff down there, since these guys are not the only surprise I have added.  This suggests that there either there is something different about this particular creature that is causing the mayhem, or that there is some problem with the other creatures that is not revealing itself, even in world population dumps.  Given the limited sample size, though, I have to consider the possibility that there's no more information simply because no one has thoroughly explored it yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:24:18 am by narhiril »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 20, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

I had the same idea at some point, but it didn't end up working out.  Unfortunately, this token does not work outside of the procedural generated .dat files.  Attempting to put it into the raws will throw out an unrecognized token error.  The same is true for the token that denotes forgotten beasts.

As sad as I am to say so, this bug has run up against a technical limitation that I currently cannot get around.  Fortunately, even though they die sometimes, their populations are so high that wandering replacements are inevitable.  Consider their corpses an omen of things to come.

Although I'm a bit curious that no one has run into anything else fighting the stuff down there, since these guys are not the only surprise I have added.  This suggests that there either there is something different about this particular creature that is causing the mayhem, or that there is some problem with the other creatures that is not revealing itself, even in world population dumps.  Given the limited sample size, though, I have to consider the possibility that there's no more information simply because no one has thoroughly explored it yet.

If you're talking about the

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then, yes, I've seen them fighting often, too.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 240