Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397386 times)

sigefread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:38 pm »

I agree on the marksdwarves. In my army, I find the biggest killers are the marksdwarves, who managed to cripple three out of four of the squads the bog trolls sent during the last siege, allowing my melee soldiers to sally out (I have never done this before. Usually I let the enemy run through the siege weapon array first) and perform coup de grace on the unconscious bog trolls lying around (including their warboss).

However, I'm a little worried that my copper and silver bolts are not going to be able to penetrate the voidwalker's voidshard armor. Will upgrading my marksdwarves to using javelin throwers give me more of a chance against them?

Javelin throwers are good to have but not in large numbers.

Javelins take A LOT of metal to maintain a good stock of them but they do larger damage and do pierce better than bolts.

Bolts are cheap to make the can pierce Cotton candy armor in the hands of a good marksman/dwarf/etc but they have more of a chance at being deflected by shields.

This is all anecdotal though and you may have different circumstances than me so the best thing you can do is experiment with your squad layouts a little.

On the note of marksmen I made crossbows out of silver and when enemies came close enough that I had to order a retreat deeper into the fortress one of the marksdwarves that got surrounded during the retread managed to kill a couple of bog trolls and then escape. I know that one is very unlikely even with the power of numbers but two?

EDIT: Found out why, He had legendary striking due to an artifact haha, I smell a new commander
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:07:31 pm by sigefread »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »

Look what I got~

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I gave it to my Master Alchemist, who is actually a savant and also the captain of the guard and the head doctor. She now runs around in a leather coat, a silk tunic, leather trousers, silk socks, leather boots, leather gloves, and this tophat. It's pretty awesome, in my mind's eye.
I'm thinking of making her not-the-military-commander and having all my alchemists in a similar get-up, now I that I think about it...

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity...can you loot the display cases in adventure mode? I doubt it, but I figure it's worth asking.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:23:00 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2011, 01:45:34 pm »

These javelin throwers are really something. I'm seeing an improvement in one shot kills when the javelin throwing marksdwarves are stationed behind the walls.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

Look what I got~

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I gave it to my Master Alchemist, who is actually a savant and also the captain of the guard and the head doctor. She now runs around in a leather coat, a silk tunic, leather trousers, silk socks, leather boots, leather gloves, and this tophat. It's pretty awesome, in my mind's eye.
I'm thinking of making her not-the-military-commander and having all my alchemists in a similar get-up, now I that I think about it...

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity...can you loot the display cases in adventure mode? I doubt it, but I figure it's worth asking.

Unsure on that, as I've never played much adventure mode, but I know you can take the upright weapons from a certain underground place, so maybe?  Any adventurers out there to give me a hand with this one?

Also, congratulations on that little hidden surprise.  There are quite a few others, by the way ;)

These javelin throwers are really something. I'm seeing an improvement in one shot kills when the javelin throwing marksdwarves are stationed behind the walls.

Yeah, they're fun and hilariously powerful, but that's why they're so expensive :)

They're part of the reason I designed the champion mini-squad, because I found that mixing them in with crossbow squads results in everyone picking up the wrong ammunition.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2011, 08:33:22 am »

I have a lot of lead. Are hammerhead javelins any good?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:45 am »

What do you mean by a 'tech tree'?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:43 am »

There are several new buildings added in this mod. Along with these buildings, there are also several new items and metals and the like. Varying buildings allow you to do varying things of increasing coolness, but in order to do those things one needs to find certain metals, acquire certain items, or otherwise unlock the next tier by random chance. It's not incredibly difficult to progress along the tech-tree, nor is it necessary, but it does take time.

I don't want to spoil anything, and narhiril can probably give a much much better explanation than I ever could, but here's an example: The dwarves of defensepicks have a robust alchemy program, it hasn't really provided them much of use until now. While mining out the hauler's quarters, they came across a vein of a strange ore which they were quick to dub "Orichalcum". After smelting this ore into bars, the metal was tossed off into a backroom stockpile for a number of years until one day a curious alchemist took one bar to his workshop in order to test its properties. While working, he discovered that the metal had a strange shape-memory property, and he was soon able to create a set of tools out of them.
A passing mechanic saw this set of tools, recognized them for what they were, and dashed off to build an Advanced Mechanics Shop. Here, he was able to create more of those tools with the right metals, as well as advanced mechanisms which were put to use in creating obstacle courses, mechanical training dummies, and various training courses for the fort's medics.
As these dwarves trained, they documented their progress in a variety of ways. Alchemists took these documents and studied them, eventually coming up with a variety of scientific advances, one of which allowed the fortress to harness the raw energy found in a stone called Lustrum, essentially removing their reliance on wood for fuel.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2011, 01:04:11 pm »

There are several new buildings added in this mod. Along with these buildings, there are also several new items and metals and the like. Varying buildings allow you to do varying things of increasing coolness, but in order to do those things one needs to find certain metals, acquire certain items, or otherwise unlock the next tier by random chance. It's not incredibly difficult to progress along the tech-tree, nor is it necessary, but it does take time.

I don't want to spoil anything, and narhiril can probably give a much much better explanation than I ever could, but here's an example: The dwarves of defensepicks have a robust alchemy program, it hasn't really provided them much of use until now. While mining out the hauler's quarters, they came across a vein of a strange ore which they were quick to dub "Orichalcum". After smelting this ore into bars, the metal was tossed off into a backroom stockpile for a number of years until one day a curious alchemist took one bar to his workshop in order to test its properties. While working, he discovered that the metal had a strange shape-memory property, and he was soon able to create a set of tools out of them.
A passing mechanic saw this set of tools, recognized them for what they were, and dashed off to build an Advanced Mechanics Shop. Here, he was able to create more of those tools with the right metals, as well as advanced mechanisms which were put to use in creating obstacle courses, mechanical training dummies, and various training courses for the fort's medics.
As these dwarves trained, they documented their progress in a variety of ways. Alchemists took these documents and studied them, eventually coming up with a variety of scientific advances, one of which allowed the fortress to harness the raw energy found in a stone called Lustrum, essentially removing their reliance on wood for fuel.

Wow. Just wow.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2011, 05:36:14 pm »

Wow. Just wow.

That's pretty much exactly how I envisioned and implemented it.  Well done, thatkid.

The "tech tree" currently consists of a variety of mechanical and technological advances.  None of these are essential to gameplay in any way, but they can open up new opportunities for your dwarves if you choose to pursue them.  The tech tree branches off into a variety of possibilities, including training workshops, new fuel sources (as mentioned above), new materials, and other surprises.  For example, while dissecting a rat corpse to train diagnosis, a doctor notes that a fork was an effective tool for perforating the muscle layers (for SCIENCE, of course).  While filing the research notes, a clerk notices this note and visualizes a giant fork-wielding company of dwarves slaughtering the goblin siege outside.  Scribbling some notes on a blank slab, he runs off to create a workshop for testing this weapon concept and, with the help of a weaponsmith and a mechanic and a number of wasted bars of metal, they create a prototype *giant steel fork* which the fortress champion claims, slays a giant poison-spitting fox with, and names "Prongheart."

Obviously, for logistical reasons, I cannot get the slabs themselves to show these scribblings.  The advances themselves simulate these situations using a combination of prerequisite items and randomized products.  However, this situation described pertains to a very real part of the mod, which is not restricted to giant forks (there are dozens of possible weapons concepts, some bad, some good, some heinously powerful).  This story is only a slightly embellished version of a thoroughly tested feature of the mod.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2011, 06:31:45 pm »

I had the good fortune to embark with a Bowyer Prodigy who is also a weaponsmith.  :D
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »

narhiril, I'm going to be releasing a mod of my own soon. Would it be alright if I used the LFR manual and lore files as a basis for my own readme (and maybe lore)?
Your mod is probably one of the better documented mods out there.

Either way you're going to be in the credits section because Forlorn Realms is what inspired me to really start modding (where before I just sort of dicked around to see what I could break)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »

Hey  narhiril, have you ever thought about releasing a version of this aimed at adventure mode? One where all those diverse weapons are actually used by in game civs? I'm probably just going to edit your raws to let humans use them all for now, but it would be nice to see the weapons and other neat aspects of the game arranged into something more adventure focused, if only as a side release or something.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »

Hey  narhiril, have you ever thought about releasing a version of this aimed at adventure mode? One where all those diverse weapons are actually used by in game civs? I'm probably just going to edit your raws to let humans use them all for now, but it would be nice to see the weapons and other neat aspects of the game arranged into something more adventure focused, if only as a side release or something.
Adventurers will actually spawn with the exotic weapons sometimes, if that's what you mean. I've had kobolds using kataras and rakes.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

narhiril, I'm going to be releasing a mod of my own soon. Would it be alright if I used the LFR manual and lore files as a basis for my own readme (and maybe lore)?

Either way you're going to be in the credits section because Forlorn Realms is what inspired me to really start modding (where before I just sort of dicked around to see what I could break)

If you're just using the format (section headers, table of contents, subsections, directory numbers, etc), I don't even require credit for that.  If you, for instance, want to rebuild alchemy in your own way from scratch, I by no means own any patents or intellectual claims to that.  I am not the first person to utilize the alchemy skill in a mod, and I know I won't be the last.  If, however, you want to expand, copy, or use my raws or lore compositions as a template for your own modifications, I would like credit for that.

In a nutshell, go for it, just make sure anything you take directly from LFR has credit associated with it, and make sure that anything you take is not already credited in the LFR manual to someone else.  If you wanted to use the foundry, for instance, you'd see in the manual that I got those raws with permissions from Kipi, so you'd want to talk to the original author in those few cases.

Generally, ideas and mods on these forums are shared in good faith.  As long as you're not claiming someone else's work as your own, most of the community is fine with sharing things as long as they are asked for permission and due credit is given.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2011, 09:51:16 pm »

If you're just using the format (section headers, table of contents, subsections, directory numbers, etc), I don't even require credit for that.  If you, for instance, want to rebuild alchemy in your own way from scratch, I by no means own any patents or intellectual claims to that.  I am not the first person to utilize the alchemy skill in a mod, and I know I won't be the last.  If, however, you want to expand, copy, or use my raws or lore compositions as a template for your own modifications, I would like credit for that.

In a nutshell, go for it, just make sure anything you take directly from LFR has credit associated with it, and make sure that anything you take is not already credited in the LFR manual to someone else.  If you wanted to use the foundry, for instance, you'd see in the manual that I got those raws with permissions from Kipi, so you'd want to talk to the original author in those few cases.

Generally, ideas and mods on these forums are shared in good faith.  As long as you're not claiming someone else's work as your own, most of the community is fine with sharing things as long as they are asked for permission and due credit is given.

I saw that section. It was actually one of the big reasons why I asked, as I've never had to write a legal mumbo-jumbo/credits thing before, since generally when I make something and release it to the public I don't care what happens to it (but this time I actually intend to continue working on it), and I figured I could just paraphrase what you wrote in regards to all that. xD
That, and the lay-out was nice.

Since a lot of my testing it getting done alongside Forlorn Realms, I'm not taking anything from it. But I am making sure my mod is compatible.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 240