Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397279 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13a
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2011, 12:22:04 pm »

I think the wood problem is more because of the way the game can't distinguish between the amount of wood needed for a huge bed, and the amount needed to make a crossbow. If the game handled wood the way it handles metal and cloth (in pieces, with each bar/log/bolt of cloth being worth X resources) then much of the problem would go away.

Not entirely though, since SO MANY industries rely on wood, and plenty of important things can ONLY be made from wood. Even objects that can be made from other materials usually need wood to power furnaces in order to make them. In addition, it's often the only resource you have early besides stone. Wooden cages and stone mechanisms mean cage traps!

In 40d I refused to play unless I could start next to a surface source of lava - even with a 100% chance to find lava if you dig deep enough these days, I'm starting to think I'll go back to that.

Wood is so important even when you have lava nearby I don't really consider it cheating or nitpicking too much. Plus, building around a volcano feels pretty dwarfy. Magma makes everything better.

EDIT: Also, if the caravans ever get fixed, we'll be able to import a LOT more wood as well, especially since there are extra races in this mod that will trade.

Alternate sources of wood is something I'm exploring.  If you find it, lustrum is a lucrative fuel source.  I struck three veins of the stuff in my test fortress and once I unlocked the extractor, I never needed coke or charcoal again for years.

Beds from alternate materials is a planned future tech tree advancement.

Just built a sparring partner to test that - seems like the sparring partner works as advertised. It's just the obstacle course that's weird for me then. Anyone else have any issues with dwarves refusing to use the obstacle course?

I can live with having to manually go in and pick what dwarves I want to use the sparring partners - I can just build different rooms for different weapon skills to make it easier. I'm really not sure what to do about the obstacle course though. I feel like I'm missing something since other people haven't mentioned trouble with them.

Or have others not built them yet either?

This is a problem I've been unable to replicate.  They work fine on my end.  Are the reactions queuing?  As in, can you tell the workshop to "run dodging course"?  Dodging is not a permissible labor, so any dwarf should perform it unless otherwise specified in the workshop profile.  Check the list of permitted workers and also check the bottom right corner of the workshop profile.  If the minimum threshold is set above "dabbling," it will prevent any dwarves not already skilled in dodging from using the course.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:27:11 pm by narhiril »

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2011, 01:14:20 pm »

Great mod you made here narhiril =)

but i got a problem, i can tame any animals. Whenever i click on "tame large animal" i got nothing on my list (i have a fox, 2 rats, 3 wolves in cages, which are usually tamable, aren't they?)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »

Great mod you made here narhiril =)

but i got a problem, i can tame any animals. Whenever i click on "tame large animal" i got nothing on my list (i have a fox, 2 rats, 3 wolves in cages, which are usually tamable, aren't they?)

Thanks!  After a few minutes of examining raws, I think I've found your problem.

Rats are considered vermin, and so are considered small animals by taming.  Wolves and foxes are both exotic pets, which require a dungeon master to tame.  This is the way they are in vanilla, and I have not changed them at all.  Since the dungeon master rarely (read: next to never) actually shows up in fortress mode, it is usually nearly impossible to tame these creatures in vanilla DF.

Fortunately, LFR allows you to appoint a dungeon master as soon as you get a mayor instead of waiting (usually in vain) for one to immigrate. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:44:30 pm by narhiril »

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2011, 04:55:45 pm »

Thanks for the answer . hm, i have always played on the genesis mod, which made almost all animals tameable, that's explain why i didn't know they weren't without a dungeon master ^^

The thing is, even with my dungeon master appointed (a immigrant with great animal training skill) and pleased (tomb, splendid room, candy, MTV shows...), i can't tame anything.

I'm surprise that i'm the only with that problem, which occured on my two differents computers.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:48 pm »

Thanks for the answer . hm, i have always played on the genesis mod, which made almost all animals tameable, that's explain why i didn't know they weren't without a dungeon master ^^

The thing is, even with my dungeon master appointed (a immigrant with great animal training skill) and pleased (tomb, splendid room, candy, MTV shows...), i can't tame anything.

I'm surprise that i'm the only with that problem, which occured on my two differents computers.

I was able to track down this link

It seems that the results are mixed.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Fortunately, there's a workaround.

I was also able to track down this utility, which will comb through your raws and remove all of the exotic tokens.  I don't *think*this change requires a regen, but I'm not 100% sure.  This tool should not cause any problems with LFR.

sigefread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2011, 06:36:44 pm »

Interesting thing happened I breached HFS and there where no "Fun" new pets. First I thought I had just got lucky and they where under a different pillar so I walled off and started looking for them. But absolutely nothing is down there. Part of the mod or did I just get lucky and an unlikely event wiped them all out?

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:28 pm »

I was able to track down this link

It seems that the results are mixed.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Fortunately, there's a workaround.

I was also able to track down this utility, which will comb through your raws and remove all of the exotic tokens.  I don't *think*this change requires a regen, but I'm not 100% sure.  This tool should not cause any problems with LFR.

Thanks, i'll try this tomorrow. If i remember correctly, this needs a fresh start to works, but whatever, dwarf fortress is a game that you can star over easily!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »

Interesting thing happened I breached HFS and there where no "Fun" new pets. First I thought I had just got lucky and they where under a different pillar so I walled off and started looking for them. But absolutely nothing is down there. Part of the mod or did I just get lucky and an unlikely event wiped them all out?

The latter.  I didn't remove any procedural demons.  The only thing LFR adds down there doesn't affect the horde that spawns when you breach the adamantine tube.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »

I rarely check the personalities of my dwarves when I'm preparing to embark, so imagine my surprise when my chosen blacksmith also happened to be a weapons savant. :D
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2011, 07:54:37 pm »

I also breached the adamantine tube the other day (to show a friend who was watching.), but nothing flew up. I don't really care, since I quickly sealed it up and happily got the adamantine. I saw a group of them, sure, but they wandered out of sight instead of charging my miner (or something).

Also, is there any way I can place Mayday or Pheobus tileset over the mod and not get roughly hewn walls to turn into trees or oysters or something?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:27:27 am by Pan »

Merijeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 19, 2011, 03:28:54 pm »

Any guesses why I can't make precision tools? I've got orichilam. Isn't it done in either a forge or a crafts shop?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:58 pm »

Any guesses why I can't make precision tools? I've got orichilam. Isn't it done in either a forge or a crafts shop?
It takes place at an alchemist's shop.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:21 am »

Is the nest LFR version due when the next DF version comes out?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »

Hopefully, yes, it will be, but we can't be too sure. It'd be nice if narhiril shed some light on that.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:18 pm »

Hopefully, yes, it will be, but we can't be too sure. It'd be nice if narhiril shed some light on that.

There are a few things I've been working on for the current version of DF.  It all depends on how soon the next version of DF comes out, really.  I'm currently planning to go ahead with the next version expecting the new DF to be delayed.  If it comes soon, wonderful, but if it takes a bit longer, I don't want to hold up the mod waiting for it.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to go ahead and push out a 0.13b with fixes for the few bugs and anomalies I have encountered, or just save those fixes for 0.14.  Nothing I have found requires a new world to fix, so I'll probably upload that later, even though most of what I've found has been rather insignificant.  The biggest problem I've found is that the "cast bismuth hammerhead javelins" reaction is erroneously named "cast bismuth bronze hammerhead javelins" for the non-magma advanced caster.

Version 0.14 will include three new workshops, large amounts of hidden content, and several new creatures.  I'm sure there will be more thrown into it as I get working, but that's what's currently in progress.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:00:20 pm by narhiril »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 240