Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397255 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13a
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2011, 11:48:14 am »

While I haven't played your mod yet due to time constraints, I did have a look at the mod documentation and this thread. My mind was boggled, then blown. The depth in the tech tree is just ... staggering. I'm deeply impressed and I'm looking forward to more of it!

It's going deeper.  Like Leo DiCaprio.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed putting it together.

So, narhiril, what are your plans (that you are OK with revealing) for the next release? Give some of us something to look forward to.  :D

Here are some things on my mind for the next version...

I have some massive plans that, unfortunately, require the new features of 0.31.26 to work, so I'll probably hold off on the parallel "ritual" tech tree until then.  What I can share is that this tree will be themed around ritual, offerings, and runic inscriptions, and will primarily (though not exclusively) use the engraver skill.

Those that have discovered the (literally) deepest secrets of LFR will find these greatly expanded for the next version.  There are currently two of these hidden features, which will be expanded to six or more in the next version, with plans to utilize dropped items.

The two currently useless byproducts of documentation will have functions introduced.

Custom reactions that produce gloves currently don't work because there isn't a token to force them to create left and right gloves.  Hadrine greaves, however, will be added.

I am experimenting with the idea of allowing the metal caster to produce siege ammo.  If this is possible, it will probably make its way into the next version.

A method for creating rock bins.  This will consume a large amount of stone.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:51:08 am by narhiril »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:56 pm »

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the ritual tech tree once .26 comes out. Offerings and inscriptions sound pretty fun.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »

Yeah, I'm very interested in these rituals you speak of.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »

I had an idea today when I saw the effects of a voidwalker dying. How about, for variety, adding in a tameable cave creature which releases poisonous fumes on death to use as a bio weapon? Like a glow scarab (from Cobalt Fortress, the forum game) or something. After all, if you've already added bio weapons in the flora section, why not one for fauna?

If you find some interest in the above idea, then I'll be looking forward to some fun with the prisoners in the arena. Dropping prisoners in with wild beasts/military gets really old after a while, (Another fight to the death with a tiger? *yawn*) and nothing would be more fun than dropping a group of goblins in with a (literally) live grenade.

Also, while we're on animals, it's been three years and I have not seen (much less caught) any of the sabre tooth tigers.  :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:17:01 pm by Pan »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:49 pm »

I had an idea today when I saw the effects of a voidwalker dying. How about, for variety, adding in a tameable cave creature which releases poisonous fumes on death to use as a bio weapon? Like a glow scarab (from Cobalt Fortress, the forum game) or something. After all, if you've already added bio weapons in the flora section, why not one for fauna?

If you find some interest in the above idea, then I'll be looking forward to some fun with the prisoners in the arena. Dropping prisoners in with wild beasts/military gets really old after a while, (Another fight to the death with a tiger? *yawn*) and nothing would be more fun than dropping a group of goblins in with a (literally) live grenade.

Also, while we're on animals, it's been three years and I have not seen (much less caught) any of the sabre tooth tigers.  :(

I can't make them wander onto your map, unfortunately.  They're down there, but I don't know when they'll show up.  I am considering ideas for another domesticated war creature which would be available on embark.

And if you want a living grenade, I can swing something along those lines.  Do you prefer poison, frostbite, or fire?

sigefread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:37 am »

I really like the sound of this mod but I am a bit hesitant. So if I may a question and a request.

For my question to what degree would this affect adventure mode. (As I am a fairly nostalgic person that likes to visit old fortresses (partly to scavenge amazing equipment partly cause I like to feel like a real adventurer learning about old ruins))

As for a request would you happen to be able to make it able to be toggled? As me and my brother both play this game and he really likes vanilla and I would rather not have to re install on a simi-daily basis.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2011, 01:02:41 am »

Did any of you listen to the DF talk? It's not going to be 0.31.26, it's going to be 0.34.xx or 0.36.xx or something along those lines.

It's a damn big update.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2011, 02:12:33 am »

I really like the sound of this mod but I am a bit hesitant. So if I may a question and a request.

For my question to what degree would this affect adventure mode. (As I am a fairly nostalgic person that likes to visit old fortresses (partly to scavenge amazing equipment partly cause I like to feel like a real adventurer learning about old ruins))

As for a request would you happen to be able to make it able to be toggled? As me and my brother both play this game and he really likes vanilla and I would rather not have to re install on a simi-daily basis.
Just have 2 different DF folders, one for LoFR and one for Vanilla.

sigefread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2011, 02:36:20 am »

I tried that but the DF.exe always opens the original file (The one that isn't DF_(2)) So that doesn't quite work. Hmm sure there is a work around but my brain is pretty much shut off at 3A.M.

EDIT: Sudden stroke of (Possible) Insomnia induced brilliance.

Is it possible to add [FLIER] to only a gender of an animal? If so you could make a custom animal that was designated to a certain biome and only designate one of the genders casts as fliers. As an added bonus only designate that gender as being a pack animal from there make them both [good] and the race with the problems use only [evil] animals and designate the gender that can fly as both good and evil. Seeing as how only one gender will appear in the evil biome it will die out without causing much harm. (It would also keep the evil races from getting an animal they are not supposed to have) while they will still use the flying animal as the pack animal. Of course this all hinges on being able to designate tokens to the different gender castes. Though I think it would work because most races that use evil animals don't trade with you anyhow.

Example

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry if my tokens are a bit off I'm really tired
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:19:27 am by sigefread »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2011, 05:18:04 am »

I can't make them wander onto your map, unfortunately.  They're down there, but I don't know when they'll show up.

I'm just commenting on their rarity. It'll make their capture all the more sweet.

As for the exploding cave creature, I was thinking poison, like the glow scarabs in Cobalt Fortress. Like a corrosive poison that eats away the skin or something (not too overpowered). By the way, what are the symptoms of the voidwalker's posthumous attack?

Are you willing to share anything on those war trainable animals on embark? Like, are they some sort of dog? Giant insect? Golem? (Oh wait, your saving this one for the update.  :P)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2011, 11:44:37 am »

I can't make them wander onto your map, unfortunately.  They're down there, but I don't know when they'll show up.

I'm just commenting on their rarity. It'll make their capture all the more sweet.

As for the exploding cave creature, I was thinking poison, like the glow scarabs in Cobalt Fortress. Like a corrosive poison that eats away the skin or something (not too overpowered). By the way, what are the symptoms of the voidwalker's posthumous attack?

Are you willing to share anything on those war trainable animals on embark? Like, are they some sort of dog? Giant insect? Golem? (Oh wait, your saving this one for the update.  :P)

I'm perusing lots of legends and mythical creatures for inspiration, so I can't say anything for sure just yet.

Voidwalker death cries cause brief disorientation (dizziness).  It's not a long-term concern, but it's enough to stun a dwarf long enough for another voidwalker to get a shot in.

I tried that but the DF.exe always opens the original file (The one that isn't DF_(2)) So that doesn't quite work. Hmm sure there is a work around but my brain is pretty much shut off at 3A.M.

EDIT: Sudden stroke of (Possible) Insomnia induced brilliance.

Is it possible to add [FLIER] to only a gender of an animal? If so you could make a custom animal that was designated to a certain biome and only designate one of the genders casts as fliers. As an added bonus only designate that gender as being a pack animal from there make them both [good] and the race with the problems use only [evil] animals and designate the gender that can fly as both good and evil. Seeing as how only one gender will appear in the evil biome it will die out without causing much harm. (It would also keep the evil races from getting an animal they are not supposed to have) while they will still use the flying animal as the pack animal. Of course this all hinges on being able to designate tokens to the different gender castes. Though I think it would work because most races that use evil animals don't trade with you anyhow.

Example

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry if my tokens are a bit off I'm really tired

Not flawless, but it does get me thinking.  I'll do some experimentation along these lines.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:51:34 am by narhiril »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2011, 05:11:22 pm »

My dwarves just taught a voidwalker matron thief not to mess with The Tenacious Fortresses. She was revealed in the courtyard by one of our cats, and because there was a goblin siege right outside the door she had no escape paths. Within seconds my ten military dwarves had her cornered against a wall, and were administering a regular beat-down composed mostly of kicks to the face and gut. After a while they got bored, and with the dogs (and cougars and scorpions) holding her down, the axe-dwarf of the squad systematically removed every limb before beheading her.

I imagine I just got lucky with the RNG (and outnumbered her greatly), because she was able to take off a dog's entire leg with her steel razor. That being said: Is that just so we can't get our hands on voidshard items by harvesting thieves or is there something wrong with my world and the voidwalkers aren't obtaining their special metal?

Edit: Two more revealed themselves after my forces were chasing the fleeing goblins from the entrance corridor. This time the dwarves didn't mess around, as they had goblins to hunt and the voidwalkers were just a mild distraction. After limbs went flying courtesy of the axedwarves, I checked to see what they had. Two razors, one steel one damascus steel.
I have no complaints about free steel, but if this is intentional may I ask how you ensured that voidshard knives weren't made?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:25:40 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »

My dwarves just taught a voidwalker matron thief not to mess with The Tenacious Fortresses. She was revealed in the courtyard by one of our cats, and because there was a goblin siege right outside the door she had no escape paths. Within seconds my ten military dwarves had her cornered against a wall, and were administering a regular beat-down composed mostly of kicks to the face and gut. After a while they got bored, and with the dogs (and cougars and scorpions) holding her down, the axe-dwarf of the squad systematically removed every limb before beheading her.

I imagine I just got lucky with the RNG (and outnumbered her greatly), because she was able to take off a dog's entire leg with her steel razor. That being said: Is that just so we can't get our hands on voidshard items by harvesting thieves or is there something wrong with my world and the voidwalkers aren't obtaining their special metal?

Edit: Two more revealed themselves after my forces were chasing the fleeing goblins from the entrance corridor. This time the dwarves didn't mess around, as they had goblins to hunt and the voidwalkers were just a mild distraction. After limbs went flying courtesy of the axedwarves, I checked to see what they had. Two razors, one steel one damascus steel.
I have no complaints about free steel, but if this is intentional may I ask how you ensured that voidshard knives weren't made?

They do make voidshard ones, but it's random.  Usually a voidwalker will show up with a few pieces of steel and damascus steel with some voidshard mixed in - however, since thieves don't carry shields or armor, it's just the dagger.  Sometimes it will be steel, sometimes it will be damascus steel, and sometimes it will be voidshard.

Thieves are poorly armored, so they're not too difficult to take down with a few military dwarves, but they can pack a punch if you're unprepared.  Voidwalker "razors" are a unique but statistically unremarkable type of dagger.  They're not bad weapons (especially because the mechanical sparring partner allows you to train the dagger skill), but it takes melting down quite a few of them to get any metal. 

I've noticed that chance products of documentation tend to pile up over long periods of time, and while they can be exported or used for buildings, most of the time they're just littering the workshop floors after you build the first workshop for each of them.  I'd like to introduce some method for using them or just getting rid of them.  Naturally, the first thing to come to mind was this, but I'm also considering other ideas.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2011, 07:58:31 am »

Why give the voidwalkers steel? Why not just voidshard? Is it to give us more of a chance of defeating them?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:57 pm »

Why give the voidwalkers steel? Why not just voidshard? Is it to give us more of a chance of defeating them?

Civilizations do weird things with metals.  I found, during testing, that they always seem to show up with some assortment of the three best metals they are allowed.  If steel and damascus steel were removed, they would show up with voidshard, iron, and tungsten, which was weird and made them much easier than intended.  Steel and damascus steel were added to their permissions to partially resolve this issue.

I'm playing with some alternatives for this.  I haven't explored what happens if I change their voidshard-generating reaction to another labor and forbid the furnace operator job.  If this has the result of only giving them voidshard, I'll consider implementing it.

...But I do like the way that the mix of steel, damascus steel, and voidshard limits the amount of usable voidshard pieces obtained from defeating a single ambush, so I'm a bit inclined to leave them the way they are.  They're still quite challenging, even for well-equipped and well-trained military dwarves.  So I suppose the best answer to your question would be "sort of, but also to limit the influx of voidshard items to the player."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 240