Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397157 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.12b
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2011, 06:22:49 pm »

The problem is that you can't specifically tell Nephalim to use those animals. You can sort of "force" them to use it via use of the GOOD/EVIL tags and changing the entity tags a bit, but it'll affect the player's variety in good/evil surroundings.

This is the reason I haven't done that, Alem.  Tokens dealing with pack animals are not diverse or advanced enough to allow me to specify a single, specific pack animal for a given entity without radically altering a large number of other creatures (for example, I could remove "good" tokens from all other "good" pack animals, but this would mess up the wildlife in those biomes).  I am hoping that, in the near future, Toady's "caravan arc" will bring with it new tokens or caravan AI to change this.  Until then, I'm kind of stuck with the Nephilim caravans.  I could make them hostile again, but it sounds like people are struggling enough with the new races without throwing another flying steel-clad enemy into the mix.

Bog troll siege triggers were moved back in 0.12b.  Hopefully, this will put them in a position where they're easier to manage. 

I'm working today on the raws for the new underground civ.  This civilization will not be particularly powerful or organized, but is instead portrayed as a tribal race that worships the artifacts left in the underground by a far more advanced, extinct civilization that left the damascus sentinels behind.  You won't find many objects of value in their camps, but you may find one carrying an item from that ancient civilization that your scientists could find interesting.  I won't say any more about that, though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:33:17 pm by narhiril »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:37 pm »

The problem is that you can't specifically tell Nephalim to use those animals. You can sort of "force" them to use it via use of the GOOD/EVIL tags and changing the entity tags a bit, but it'll affect the player's variety in good/evil surroundings.

What about combining EVIL and DOMESTIC on a pack animal? Then only an evil domestic using civ would use those creatures. You could give all the other domestic animals GOOD and DOMESTIC and make all other domestic user civs GOOD to achieve essentially the status quo for the other civs.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:44 am »

What about combining EVIL and DOMESTIC on a pack animal? Then only an evil domestic using civ would use those creatures. You could give all the other domestic animals GOOD and DOMESTIC and make all other domestic user civs GOOD to achieve essentially the status quo for the other civs.

This would also have the effect of moving all wild [COMMON_DOMESTIC] creatures out of neutral biomes, wouldn't it?  That's what I'm trying to avoid.

UPDATE:  I've made some headway on castes.  There will be four new castes in v0.13.  These castes will not differ physically from regular dwarves, but will have [SLOW_LEARNER] tokens and a single, very high natural skill.  They are also fairly rare, and their influence on your fortress will be subtle, but not insignificant.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:43:09 am by narhiril »

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:26 am »

Well I just had my first 'diplomatic relations' with void walkers. It was a lovely chat about how my fortress had gotten a lot bigger than I had realized *chuckles*. It was certainly a Fun encounter, something tells me that were there any of them left to accept it, I'd be giving the nephalim a very large offering as thanks. Were there any of them left to accept that is  :D.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2011, 05:56:28 pm »

Here's a tentative list of tier 2 technical advances.

Lustrum Extractor

-requires advanced mechanisms and a rare product of documentation
-allows conversion of lustrum into large quantities of fuel
-slight risk of a syndrome from reaction
-can produce more items to allow for more workshops ("unlocks" itself)

Aside from the last "unlock" reaction, this building is already in 0.12b as a preview.

Advanced Casters
-magma and normal versions
-produce javelins at a more efficient rate - 15 javelins only requires 3 bars (normally 5).
-requires an advanced casting device (constructed at advanced mechanics workshop) and a different rare product of documentation.

Experimental Materials Workshop

-requires a rare product of documentation.
-produces hadrine, a high-density alloy of mithril, tungsten, and steel, which also requires ash and fuel.
-hadrine is not technically a metal, so it is produced in blocks and cannot be melted
-hadrine blocks can be turned into hadrine thread by a strand extractor.
-hadrine thread can be woven into a hadrine mesh by a weaver.
-a hadrine mesh and three advanced mechanisms can be turned into a new type of plate mail or helmet.  These are extremely protective, more so than anything short of adamantine, but also extremely heavy.
-production of hadrine has a chance of producing a rainbow diamond as a byproduct.  Since the cost of each hadrine reaction is fairly high, this chance is significant (25%).  Rainbow diamonds are a high-value gem that will be used as an "unlock" for tier three advances down the road.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »

The current lineup for v0.13a is as follows.

--------

-A fix for the kobold starving bug.  This is not mod-related, but since I will be replacing the creature_standard file, I figured I might as well just fix it myself.

-A new underground civilization called the Moroii, named for phantoms of Romanian folklore.  More on them later.

-The aforementioned tier two tech advances.

-Some new easter eggs.

-A new domestic creature, the carbuncle, with an associated hidden feature.

-Rare drops for leviathans.

-Meowkin and Nephilim diplomats, similar to those of humans.  This feature still needs a LOT of testing.  My hope is to completely replace Nephilim caravans, which are kind of dysfunctional, with diplomat visits, but I don't know if this is possible yet.

-Dwarven savants.  Occasionally, a dwarf will be born with a learning disability, but an extremely high natural skill in weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, alchemy, or bowmaking.  Caste-level creature descriptions will reveal when this occurs.

-Two new creatures, the Humbaba and Amarok, based on different world mythologies, are planned, but have not yet been coded.

--------

If you have information pertaining to custom diplomats, or any other suggestions for this release, please feel free to post them.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2011, 11:39:59 am »

First thing I thought of when I heard "dwarven savant"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKmqPyuv0vo

I laughed so very hard.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2011, 11:44:31 am »

First thing I thought of when I heard "dwarven savant"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKmqPyuv0vo

I laughed so very hard.

One of the caste-level descriptions references that :P

Also, I've finished up the graphics and raws for everything creature-wise except the carbuncle, which I hope to finish later today.  Leviathans now have a chance of dropping a "rusty iron sword," which is a slightly weaker version of the gladius, and is there mostly for entertainment value and speculation on how it ended up there.  A future easter egg reaction may use this as a reagent.  Humbabas and Amaroks turned out a lot better than I expected, as well.

Moroii are a race of subterranean people with extremely wrinkled, white skin and huge, black eyes.  They wield a limited assortment of bronze weapons and wooden helmets and shields.  While not advanced, the moroii use a unique language, and roam the depths searching for relics of the civilization that created the damascus sentinels, whom they revere as gods.  Periodically, a moroi may be found in possession of one of these relics, which can provide an alternative method of advancing the "tech tree," or another, more unique opportunity.

The diplomats are the only feature I'm a bit concerned about, and will probably consume the bulk of the testing time.  Other than them, things are shaping up nicely, and well ahead of schedule.  What that means for you guys is that now is an excellent time for suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:56:12 am by narhiril »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

I love this mod, but I find it difficult to get very far as I have a crash at least twice a year. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2011, 06:00:53 pm »

Yea I played through one long and awesome fortress and then couldn't start another because it kept crashing on the embark screen.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »

Yea I played through one long and awesome fortress and then couldn't start another because it kept crashing on the embark screen.
I love this mod, but I find it difficult to get very far as I have a crash at least twice a year. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Try turning TrueType off.  It's got some kinks that haven't been fully worked out yet.  It doesn't usually cause problems for me, but it's different for different people.  This can be found in init.txt.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:20:00 pm by narhiril »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2011, 12:39:32 am »

Post the errorlog, please. Maybe me and my noob skills can help.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2011, 02:15:40 am »

Post the errorlog, please. Maybe me and my noob skills can help.

I'm guessing it's truetype because the errorlog for 0.12b was blank.

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2011, 02:35:15 am »

That's what I like to hear! Suggestion time is my favorite time. I realize a lot of things I've suggested have been stymied by limitations of toady's work, so I'll stick to just workshops, objects, and animals, since they seem to be the most moddable.

Perhaps an alternative to cats for pest control? You could have one in addition to cats, but it could be more effective at vermin control and perhaps be less of a cute pet to give dwarves happy thoughts. It wouldn't be an upgrade, just an different choice. Faster perhaps, or flying, or both? Perhaps some dwarves could find them ugly or dislike them, to further balance them.

Of course, a *more* likeable pet, with less vermin hunting ability, could also be possible, something with universal appeal and some happy thought generation but no other utility.

Neither of those animal options would really change gameplay that much, but would offer a little variety in options for fort happiness and pest control.

Perhaps some additional subterranean animals that are tameable by dwarves? Or edit some of the creatures that already exist for that purpose? Giant worms, beetles, cave crabs, axolotl, bats? The pest control animal could fit here too I suppose. These would be largely meant to be improvements over basic animals that fill the same role. Livestock, resource production animals (wool, milk, etc), pest control, or war animals for defense. Since they are more dangerous to acquire they could be more efficient or powerful. This means that trapping, animal caretaking, and animal training would be a more important skill, and would effectively have a tech advancement option. Perhaps upgraded mechanisms (or another advancement) could be required for the traps to capture these creatures?

The early attacking but poorly equipped race possibility you mentioned as a possibility earlier would be fantastic. Since Bog trolls have moved to be a later threat, this would maintain an early (but not necessarily overwhelming) threat to work against early forts, without giving them much in return if they defeat them (no free items from weak enemies to sell or melt). Perhaps this is the plan for the moroii, but it sounds like they're meant to be an interesting addition and optional way to start the tech tree (which is a great idea, thank you!). If you have to breach the underground to see them, chances are they couldn't really be an "early threat" to work against. Ideally, this threat would be mostly able to be defeated by caravans without aid, so it would mean using wood, bone, obsidian, and leather items (or common metals) early would be useful for starting a militia and/or traps, rather than just waiting until a supply of iron or steel is available. This effectively increases the amount of metals and weapon/armor materials in the game without having to add them in the mod, since (to my experience) no one bothers making equipment out of weaker materials as a general rule. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that has been my impression. It forces the player to scrape together more desperate means of combat early. Once they have a trained and equipped fighting force, or simply enough effective traps, this stops being a concern. The idea there is to keep the player on their toes early without beating them to the floor. Just something that would give civilian dwarves trouble, but crude weapons and armor with poor fighting skills would defeat.

Another possibility would be splitting the forge so that there are two: a common metals forge and a more powerful metals forge. One that could be used early, for making copper and bronze and the like, and one that requires a minor advancement in order to produce items of iron, steel, or better materials. Perhaps the upgraded forge could simply require more anvils and/or better quality anvils? The means by which this is made more difficult to acquire don't matter that much I suppose. It would be an additional way to force players to utilize weaker materials early and "tech up" by making more anvils or whatever they need to build the next forge. This would also make the player have to choose between outfitting their forces with as much copper / bronze / etc as possible or spending it on teching up and leaving themselves more vulnerable while they build or trade to get the parts needed. The cost to upgrade would have to be significant but not prohibitive in order to achieve that. Perhaps, instead of requiring anvils, it requires some other part made form the basic forge in the same manner that you've used for other tech advances. This would mean that the player would not be able to directly trade for the advancement, and would need to manufacture them, taking and materials to do so. The materials could perhaps be traded for, so that if you were on a map with only more powerful metals you could still use them. For instance, if you started surrounded by iron or mithril but lacked any weaker metal like copper or silver, you could trade for the weaker metals just to upgrade. This would also have the addition of making trade more vital, again encouraging players to keep their forts open for business and defended rather than walling themselves in right away.

Did the "sapper" idea pan out? Can gremlin tags be added to other race castes or creatures that could accompany a race (as trolls do on goblin sieges) to provide that additional threat of trap dismantling or lever pulling?

Anyway, there are some ideas. Hopefully there is something inspiring there.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:48:18 am by Carn »

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2011, 02:51:18 am »

How is compatibility with df therapist? This will be my first run of this mod, just wanted to ask in advance.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 240