Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397266 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3240 on: June 28, 2013, 06:15:57 am »

Asking again, anyone wants in on a LFR succession game after the release?  :)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: June 28, 2013, 07:12:02 am »

I'd be willing to take a shot at a succession game.  Never actually done one before, it'd be interesting.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 29, 2013, 08:07:45 pm »

Pushing it back to Monday because PRIDE is this weekend in St. Louis and I've got other responsibilities there.  Sorry guys.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: June 29, 2013, 09:38:50 pm »

Real life is important too, it's cool.  I'll definitely give this a download when the new release hits, it sounds awesome
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 01, 2013, 02:15:46 am »

^ What he said. What's PRIDE, though?  ???

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 01, 2013, 12:56:37 pm »

^ What he said. What's PRIDE, though?  ???

http://pridestl.org/

Thank you :)

Banana trees are done - basically, they'll be a farmable above-ground plant that grows in the tropics and jungles.  Your farmers or gatherers will return them as a "felled banana tree," which will get turned into a fruit (edible), a log, and seeds via an automatic reaction at the quern (I'd use the farmer's workshop, but I don't know if that can be modified yet).  I'm working now on the archery tweaks component.

The hydroponics component, which I've decided to rename the "greenhouse," is turning out to be a bit of a headache from a balancing standpoint simply because there's no way for me to simulate a growth cycle via a reaction. Unfortunately, that means I may have to push it back to a later update.  Being just a minor update after a major one (.20a), I'd like to try to get the platform as stable as possible before I build it any higher.

So, basically, the highlights of this update:

-Added banana trees (farmable wood)
-Damascus Sentinel Drone Hosts won't show up and obliterate everything in the caverns nearly as often.
-Crossbows, blowguns, and bows are no longer railguns. 
-Javelins, upgraded crossbows and dart launchers have been scaled back.  Void energy projectors have not.  You've been warned.
-Cannon beetles will appear more frequently
-By request, dwarves can now craft halberds. ;)
-Shedim will now siege from the caverns as well as from the surface.

The last change is just to spice things up a bit while I design a new cavern race.  Expect some news on that in the coming days.  :)

I think it might be time to select a new mayor... Who is Kexel, by the way?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I kinda think that's neat.

Especially if it could function as a 'way of going to talk to that deity'.

Imagine that, your mayor really does 'have the ear of god' at least on occasion, just by opening a very special door from within his chambers....

LFR leaves a lot of questions unanswered intentionally.  All I can say at this time is that I do have plans for answering them, when the time is right.  I'm actually in the early stages of writing a sort of "pre-history" mod set in the LFR universe where you play as the Voidwalkers, looking into the evolution of their extremely paranoid society, the fall of the Incubi, and the origin of the Shedim and greater demons.  In case you've been wondering just what the hell I've been doing with myself all this time.  ^_^
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:51:49 pm by narhiril »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

Man, that sounds swell. I have some questions, as usual, if that's alright :)

1. How powerful are halberds?

2. Will cavern shedims be a seperate race? And any hints on the actual cavern race soon?  :P

3. If you're working on that backstory lore mod, are you gonna concentrate on LFR as it is as well? I personally prefer playing dwarves and letting the voidwalkers have an air of mystery as they are.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »

Man, that sounds swell. I have some questions, as usual, if that's alright :)

1. How powerful are halberds?

2. Will cavern shedims be a seperate race? And any hints on the actual cavern race soon?  :P

3. If you're working on that backstory lore mod, are you gonna concentrate on LFR as it is as well? I personally prefer playing dwarves and letting the voidwalkers have an air of mystery as they are.

Don't worry, that idea by no means signifies any sort of break from LFR.  It's still in the very early planning stages.  Also, halberds are already in-game, just not on the dwarven permissions list - they're similar in strength and function to great axes.

As for the cavern race, right now it will just be the Shedim, identical to their surface counterparts, but I've been tossing around some concepts for subterranean civilizations.  Obviously I've already got the Moroii down there, but they're not organized enough to be mounting sieges on you (and don't really have the motive for that, either). 

I've been trying to think of a life form underground on which to base them without too much similarity to any of the other races.  I'd like them to use some pretty good weaponry, too, so that you can't just let the forgotten beasts take care of them for you.  Blind wouldn't be effective against them, either, since they live in darkness.  Lore-wise, I've got a vision for them pretty nailed down.  They'll be a sophisticated enough society to field their own armies and arm their own troops, but they aren't interested in the surface world and a language barrier prevents them from effectively negotiating with anyone else.  Really, the only reason they're fighting you is because you're strip-mining their foraging grounds and killing off their wildlife.  I like putting them in a sort of morally ambiguous position, where you could almost sympathize with them if they weren't hell-bent on killing you.  I feel like there's a lot more to it than "here's some enemy, go kill it." 

However, I'm still missing a name and a physical form for them.  Originally I had considered mole people, but I'm afraid of them turning out too similar to the Dredge from Guild Wars.  Likewise, a serpentine race would also be fun to do, but I'm afraid of too much similarity to the lizardmen.

One of the somewhat ridiculous ideas I had was to call them "The Grum" and just replace every word in their language file with "grum," but I'm afraid of that becoming more irritating than amusing.  It would fit with their lore, though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:33:31 pm by narhiril »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 03, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »

Sorry for the delay, guys, I've got a big interview today that I've been stressing out over.  It's almost done, I promise. :)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: July 04, 2013, 02:31:33 am »

No sweat over the update. You're gonna need em during the interview  :P

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: July 05, 2013, 12:59:15 pm »

Well, I won't know for a week or two, but I think I nailed the interview.  :)

On a more relevant note, I have today off, so I'm just finishing up the shedim cavern entity and packaging everything today.  Hopefully I can push this in a few hours and then maybe get started on some concept art for the new cavern race. 

I'm going to go ahead and lock down the poll in preparation for a new one.  This one kind of surprised me.  I didn't expect so many people to actually like the foundry and want it to stick around, and I recognize the inconvenient issue with economic stones that it causes is probably the main reason people dislike it.  I can think of a way to fix this involving reaction classes, but it involves messing around with some more stock raws which reduces compatibility with other mods - I'm going to have to do a cost-benefit analysis on that before I officially include it.  Maybe it would make a good optional component.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:05:44 pm by narhiril »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: July 05, 2013, 11:39:16 pm »

Locked and loaded.  0.20b is all set to go!

As usual, report any bugs or issues here.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20b *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3253 on: July 06, 2013, 07:17:41 am »

Looking forward to testing this out!  It'll be my first edition of LFR.  I'll let you know if anything seems amiss.

~LegacyCWAL

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20b *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3254 on: July 06, 2013, 12:26:00 pm »

Congrats on the new version, and preliminary probable-congrats on the interview! ;-)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 240