Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397330 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3165 on: April 09, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »

I'm gonna guess no.  :-\

These sentinel drones are indestructible to melee, it seems. Good for training, aye  :) Not so good for immersion  :(

And darn it, DF Hack doesn't run on my mac. Anyone knows how to get around that?  :(

Weird thing recently. All migrants have no stats for physical ability. Anyone else get that, or did I do it myself unknowingly through messing with a younger un-updated version of DTherapist or something?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 09, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

And darn it, DF Hack doesn't run on my mac. Anyone knows how to get around that?  :(

I'd look in the DFHack thread first.  It could be an incompatibility with whatever version of Mac OS you're using, or it could be that you've installed it wrong.  I only know Linux.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 09, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »

My fort's latest artifact.  I was hoping for something exotic, but the guy put a lot of work into this and I certainly won't complain about a great axe... but is cobalt a good weapons material?  There's no information on it without digging into the raws.

Spoiler: Purpletamed (click to show/hide)

Cobalt is very nearly equal to Iron. Almost. The numbers are ridiculously similar.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 09, 2013, 09:04:31 pm »

My fort's latest artifact.  I was hoping for something exotic, but the guy put a lot of work into this and I certainly won't complain about a great axe... but is cobalt a good weapons material?  There's no information on it without digging into the raws.

Spoiler: Purpletamed (click to show/hide)

Cobalt is very nearly equal to Iron. Almost. The numbers are ridiculously similar.

A shame.  Looks like this fine piece of work will be going on display.  I've started plundering damascus steel and voidshard and turning it into exotic weapons.  I'd much rather my soldiers use that stuff.  Speaking of exotic weapons...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:13:16 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:50 pm »

Why?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 10, 2013, 01:12:01 am »

These sentinel drones are indestructible to melee, it seems. Good for training, aye  :) Not so good for immersion  :(

I'll look into it.  Remember that you're fighting one of the Vanguard's most advanced weapons - they're supposed to be extremely difficult enemies, but I admittedly haven't tested them very extensively.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 10, 2013, 01:22:17 am »

I'll look into it.  Remember that you're fighting one of the Vanguard's most advanced weapons - they're supposed to be extremely difficult enemies, but I admittedly haven't tested them very extensively.

I don't think that's a problem.  What I'm running into is in the first 3 years of my game, I've already seen a couple dozen of them on the first cavern level. 

And while they're indestructible, they're not really dangerous either.  They were completely incapable of harming my soldiers in bronze armor.  The dwarves they did kill were unarmored or dodged off a cliff.

Until one of my markswarves who actually bothered to grab some ammo came and dispatched it with a single copper bolt.

I watched another one fight a forgotten beast for like an entire year.  They just couldn't harm each other.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:06 am »

I don't think that's a problem.  What I'm running into is in the first 3 years of my game, I've already seen a couple dozen of them on the first cavern level. 

And while they're indestructible, they're not really dangerous either.  They were completely incapable of harming my soldiers in bronze armor.  The dwarves they did kill were unarmored or dodged off a cliff.

Until one of my markswarves who actually bothered to grab some ammo came and dispatched it with a single copper bolt.

I watched another one fight a forgotten beast for like an entire year.  They just couldn't harm each other.

They're definitely not supposed to be that common.  Thanks for the report.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: April 10, 2013, 05:53:49 pm »

The new world seems to have aquifers everywhere, so I chose a spot and dug through the aquifer.  Tedious, but I've done it before....

And a few years later, I was trying to dig a secondary stairwell upward from the hospital & wells, to the upper work areas.  I truly believed the upper areas were 1-2 levels below the aquifer.

Turns out I was wrong.  The aquifer extended down an extra couple levels in some spots.

The secondary stairwell happened to be one of those spots.

Right now I'm trying to pump out the area and wall off the stairwell, but it's not going very well.  I've got at least 5 dwarves drowned.

(This has nothing to do with the mod, other than the fact that the fortress is being played under it.  The same watery FUN would have occurred in vanilla.)

-------
All right, it looks like I've managed to wall off all aquifer egress areas.  The worst, of course, was the hallway by the secondary stairwell near the hospital & wells.  The hospital included a small stockpile of Visthel's embrace (soap) which was used as building material for the walls on that level.  Other points were plugged by constructing walls out of whatever stones were lying nearby, or out of random stone blocks if no stones were close enough.

The final death toll appears to be: 3 dwarves drowned in the hospital, 2 dwarves drowned after being swept down wells by flowing water, and 1 dwarf drowned after failing to complete a wall in time, and then being trapped on the wrong side of the walls that were completed, a bit farther away.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:38:30 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:59 am »

Assorted observations:

* I think every immigrant so far has been an adult (by LFR standards).  I don't recall seeing any families with small children or babies.  Could just be luck, I suppose....

* Every immigrant so far has arrived with Armor User, Dodging, and some sort of weapon skill.  Apparently it's a violent world out there.

* Every immigrant so far has arrived with some sort of civilian skill.  I haven't seen a peasant yet.

* I had some dwarves suffer a strange rotting syndrome, and I don't yet know what caused it.  It didn't seem to spread -- it was just a small number of dwarves.  Possible causes: I've been besieged by the walking dead twice, and the first group managed to come into contact with my dwarves.  I've been besieged by the shedim several times.  (Also goblins, but I don't think they're disease carriers per se.)  I've done a bunch of alchemy experiments (though not so many in recent months/years, now that I've got all the experiment results).  I've pierced cavern layers to release spores.  I have large areas of underground soil where cavern-spore plants grow freely, and my herbalists gather them.  Also quite a bit of underground mud thanks to some accidental flooding....

* I generated this world with minerals set just one notch above default, rather than maximum.  This fortress in particular does not appear to contain any iron ores.  But that merely delays my steel industry!  I've set up a couple Shrines of Victory, and my priests and priestesses pray for iron ore continually.

* In fact, LFR allows one to bootstrap a metal industry in any fortress.  Set up an alchemist workshop and perform experiments on rocks to generate silver and gold.  Use the silver to build a Shrine of Victory to generate iron.  Use the gold to build a Shrine of Prosperity to generate economic alloys and flux (consuming more gold). Chop trees and char them, and now you've got steel.  After getting orichalcum somehow, and the treatise on gasoline, use some iron to make torchbearer gargoyles and set up a Temple of Fire to produce flux without needing to consume gold.  WINNING!

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: April 15, 2013, 06:03:33 am »

If that rot affects the entire body, including eyes, it is most probably caused by Shedim. Few of my veterans of Shedim siege had to be retired because of this.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:54 am »

Just got my computer fixed, and am enjoying the new version.
 Still hating on the foundry though, having to manually enable every useless stone for normal use.

Still loving sacrifices though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: April 15, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »

If you remove the raw/objects/*foundry_kipi* files the foundry will go away and your stones won't be marked as economic.  Unfortunately this requires a new world gen.

Palpatine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: April 16, 2013, 04:57:27 pm »

I can't build a Machine Shop, because it keeps requiring rock chains, instead of metal ones.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:45 pm »

I can't build a Machine Shop, because it keeps requiring rock chains, instead of metal ones.

There is literally no difference whatsoever. "Rock chains" is just what DF calls metal chains.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 240