Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397360 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.19c *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3120 on: February 24, 2013, 09:05:46 pm »

So, I've been toying around with this.  Just generated a new world having lost my last fort to a spiral of madness involving a trader wagon crash, and I was wondering... I've got 5 continents, with 4 different distributions of races between them.  Other than Dwarves, the neighbors are...

The Pale Continent is the largest.  It has Meowkin, Lizardmen, Nephilim, Humans, Voidwalkers and Shedim.
The Continent of Dawning has Goblins and Humans
The Land of Rhymes and The Insightful Green Continents both have Elves, Lizardmen, and Bog Trolls
The Grasping Continent, lastly, has Goblins, Lizardmen, and Bog Trolls -- nothing but hostiles.

My question is this: I know that most of the expanded material would be on The Pale Continent... but really, with what's there and what's missing, what sort of experience could I expect on each. of the three with new races?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:30 am »

Lizarmen are pretty tame, unless they bring squads of lashers, in which case they brutally fuckmurder every one of your soldiers and all that you hold dear and bog trolls can be somewhat dangerous if they bring some unfortunately efficient weapon; so The Land of Rhymes and The Insightful Green Continents will be probably pretty boring.
The Continent of Dawning, The Grasping Continent - no comment, either no new races or no hostiles.
The Pale continent - Nephilim and Meowkin are just an extra caravan (Meowkin are the only race, IIRC, who sell you mech parts) and can be used to... bolster you defenses (in my current fort I have an alarming number of murdered caravans, yet no one seems to be noticing). It's the Shedim and Voidwalkers where the fun begins. Shedim can - and eventually WILL - bring creatures that are either really nasty or carry a nasty syndrome (or both). They also eat your dead, so you will see tombs dedicated to half-eaten corpses. Voidwalkers are nasty. They have brutal weapons and high-quality equipment (all they have is either voidshard or damascus steel). The positive is, that they can provide you with good access to voidshard, allowing you to create your even more brutal weapons at weapon concepts lab (≡glistening voidshard serrated spear≡ in hands of experienced speardwarf is simply the nuke amongst spears).

So, there you go, hope it helps.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Ashenblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: March 10, 2013, 04:33:02 am »

I embarked at a site with an exiled rift warden living in a temple of healing (basically a rectangular smooth stone floor with random pillars) and I immediately died.
Going back to the title screen, the game crashed and nothing was saved. Now, I want really want that site and I'll embark there again, is there a way to beat that thing up with 7 dwarves?
(BTW, I consider this cheating but the game crashed and it's my first time seeing a rift warden.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:17 am »

I embarked at a site with an exiled rift warden living in a temple of healing (basically a rectangular smooth stone floor with random pillars) and I immediately died.

You mean a shrine?

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: March 10, 2013, 08:50:17 am »

is there a way to beat that thing up with 7 dwarves?

Go test the exiled rift warden in arena.  Really.

Then go tell me if 7 dwarves, fresh off the embark wagon, would ever have a hope of killing it :p

If you survived longer than 10 seconds, you deserve a medal.  And a sock.  All the socks.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Ashenblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: March 10, 2013, 08:55:27 am »

Putnam
No, it's a vanilla dwarf fortress temple
it's like a 30x40 large smooth stone floor with pillars scattered on top.
I encountered one in adventure mode that has a bronze colossus living on it(or at least guarding something) a few months past.

Solon64
Yeah, I figured after reading about the past posts about it.
So I just gave up and checked him out once more, didn't end well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: March 10, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »

Putnam
No, it's a vanilla dwarf fortress temple
it's like a 30x40 large smooth stone floor with pillars scattered on top.
I encountered one in adventure mode that has a bronze colossus living on it(or at least guarding something) a few months past.

Yes, a vanilla shrine. They're called shrines. Titans also tend to be in them. They appear with the same tile as figurines on the map.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:33:54 pm by Putnam »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:19 pm »

DFHack r3 has been released.  That means we should see a new LFR in the near future!  (If narhiril doesn't have real-life time conflicts.) :D
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ashenblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: March 16, 2013, 12:11:31 am »

Ok, new question:
Does watchers and zingers show up as wild animals that wander on the map (or cavern)?
Do hunters hunt them?
(I don't know alot about modding but)
Is there a token that indicates what wild animals can be targeted for hunting so that hunters won't end up getting killed in a forest fire they started?
I think I would like to see random zingers soften up those easy sieges before they get lucky on my militia dwarfs but not injure my hunters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: March 16, 2013, 12:13:42 am »

1. Not sure about watchers, but last I checked zingers are cavern creatures. (Last I checked was when they were first added; back then, I was a wee modding neophyte and this mod was my favorite and the one I played all the time :V)
2. If they show up in the wild, hunters hunt them.
3. There isn't one.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:02 pm »

DFHack r3 has been released.  That means we should see a new LFR in the near future!  (If narhiril doesn't have real-life time conflicts.) :D

Yes, it does.  There are a few things I'm finishing up before I can release it, but it's not far off.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: March 16, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

Looking forward to it! :)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »

Well, it took four hours of digging through and splicing different versions of code and two brand-new DFHack plugins, but paragons actually work now - the way they were originally designed.  I had hoped to get some other things done today, but I had to jump on this opportunity.

So remember that stuff about paragons being born and then dedicated?  Disregard all of that, they're going back to the way they should be - the divine units of Visthel who live forever and can resurrect each other back to full health.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: March 20, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »

Nice that it all worked out.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

New poll is up.  I have class in an hour, but I'll try to get the documentation all caught up today and tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 240