Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397290 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13a
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:03 am »

By the way, nightwing attacks on my (just embarked, sinister fortress) surface herd of goats  are now repelled by the pastured nearby tortoises zerg rushing the nightwing and breaking every bone in their body, pinning it down for the dwarf with the axe to come along and finish it. I'm pretty sure tortoises don't have [LIKES_FIGHTING] or whatever.
Clearly you brought along the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That.  Is.  Awesome.

Tortoises in LFR are quite large, about twice the size of a full-grown human once they reach maturity.  They are also, however, docile and slow.  If they land a lucky incapacitating early strike, they can defend themselves, but they won't get many attacks in on their own.  But, as you have witnessed, numbers are a powerful thing in DF.

Spoiler: For thatkid... (click to show/hide)

An update on the reported issues.  Bog trolls are being created in world gen, and are sometimes surviving.  If you embark within the first 200 years or so, they're almost always there, but in longer histories without extremely abundant civilizations, they are dying out a little bit more often than other races.  This is something I will look into a fix for.

Magma alchemy labs and casters are not showing anything in the errorlogs, but are not always recognizing the reagents for their reactions as present.  Results have been mixed.  While this is relatively meaningless for precision tools, which don't require fuel anyway, it is something that I need to take a deeper look at to determine what exactly is causing the problem and if the problem is on my end or a hangup with DF itself.
The spoiler makes me unusually happy. :D
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2011, 11:52:40 am »

By the way, just got a 'Master Armor prodigy'. I take it this is those savants that I keep hearing about?

And by unrealistic, I was talking about the turtles swarming like piranhas. Not the size.

Yes, and I'll toss [BENIGN] in there for the next release.

It reads funny on the skills screen, but it will show up on the announcements as "Urist McArmor has become an armor prodigy," and the job name will be "armor prodigy" if you don't override it with a custom job name.

I am quite busy this week, but I think I can get a streamlined version 0.13b up by Friday.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:04:55 pm by narhiril »

EvilWink

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »

One problem I have noticed is that the names of the options at the advanced mechanical lab are too long and go offscreen, is there a way to fix that?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »

One problem I have noticed is that the names of the options at the advanced mechanical lab are too long and go offscreen, is there a way to fix that?

This is a problem that is on hold until the TrueType crash bug is fixed.  In the meantime, try adjusting the in-game screen proportions (tab key).

When you're done, cycle back to your default arrangement with the same key.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:44 pm »

Are there any plants to create "underground livestock" for dwarves? I always thought it was wierd that they had cows and yaks and sheep and such.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:59 pm »

Are there any plants to create "underground livestock" for dwarves? I always thought it was wierd that they had cows and yaks and sheep and such.

I've been getting a lot of creature requests lately, so I'll go ahead and bite on this one while I'm at it.  The short answer is "yes," but I haven't quite decided which new creatures to implement yet.  Carbuncles are the first creatures to fill this sort of role, but larger and more butcher-friendly creatures are something I can definitely include in the near future.  Carbuncles multiply like rabbits, but they're not very big and don't eat much grass.  Also, if you leave them near a nest box, you might get a surprise.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:34 pm »

By the way, about underground livestock, try not to have heavy grazers lay eggs. Something I saw on the Dwarf Mode Discussion forum was that how someone's modded in underground snails went to sit on their nest box, then starved. It's possible for them not to starve with micromanaging, but of course, that's not a long term solution.

And do be a little creative with the underground livestock.  ;)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:49 pm »

I've been getting a lot of creature requests lately, so I'll go ahead and bite on this one while I'm at it.  The short answer is "yes," but I haven't quite decided which new creatures to implement yet.  Carbuncles are the first creatures to fill this sort of role, but larger and more butcher-friendly creatures are something I can definitely include in the near future.  Carbuncles multiply like rabbits, but they're not very big and don't eat much grass.  Also, if you leave them near a nest box, you might get a surprise.

Funny you should bring it up, because I just caught and nest boxed one due to the suggestion by the manual. Neat. And okay, good to hear! Going with the creativeness suggestion by Pan too, it's something I haven't seen much of, and I feel like there's a lot of room for neat stuff.

EvilWink

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:41 pm »

It would be useful for there at be an alchemical reaction with flux stone as a product

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:45 pm »

It would be useful for there at be an alchemical reaction with flux stone as a product

Yes! This! Although don't make the reaction too easy. That would negate the need to look for embark sites with flux stone.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:21:01 pm by Pan »

EvilWink

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:34 am »

Yes! This! Although don't make the reaction too easy. That would negate the need to look for embark sites with flux stone.

perhaps have flux stone as an outcome for the normal "conduct alchemical experiment," or you could make it like the plant transmutation, only with rock, where a random rock is genned each time, with the off chance of flux

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2011, 01:24:27 am »

Funny you should bring it up, because I just caught and nest boxed one due to the suggestion by the manual. Neat. And okay, good to hear! Going with the creativeness suggestion by Pan too, it's something I haven't seen much of, and I feel like there's a lot of room for neat stuff.

The surprise is related to a rare caste, so you probably won't see anything happen if you simply put one in a room with a nest box.  However, if you breed them in proximity to nest boxes, good things can happen.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:19 am »

When do you think you can release the next version? I, for one, simply cannot wait.  :D

Easter Egg suggestion:

By the way, is damascus steel better than mithril?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:23:35 pm by Pan »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2011, 04:42:20 pm »

The surprise is related to a rare caste, so you probably won't see anything happen if you simply put one in a room with a nest box.  However, if you breed them in proximity to nest boxes, good things can happen.

Ohhh, I thought the surprise was

If it is, uhh, all 4 carbuncles I caught from the wild are doing it. If not, well, I look forward to it!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2011, 05:27:56 pm »

Ohhh, I thought the surprise was

If it is, uhh, all 4 carbuncles I caught from the wild are doing it. If not, well, I look forward to it!

It is, but only certain castes do it.

When do you think you can release the next version? I, for one, simply cannot wait.  :D

Easter Egg suggestion:

By the way, is damascus steel better than mithril?

Damascus steel is slightly better than mithril (it's not much of a difference - maybe 5%) but also heavier.

I don't have an ETA on the next version yet, unfortunately.  I try not to set them until I know I can meet them, which is usually about halfway through testing.  Right now, I'm still writing raws.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:30:35 pm by narhiril »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 240