Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397155 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.12c
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:43 am »

Just noticed the Medical Training Dummy doesn't have the train surgery option. If that is intended nevermind, just read in the manual that it is supposed to be everything but diagnostics :)

I just checked my raws and the reaction is there, and the reaction is permitted. Everything looks identical to the other reactions, which I have available. Its only surgery missing, which is rather confusing.

I'm having trouble reproducing the issue.  It's working fine on my end.  Check the errorlog?

Also, is it appearing in the manager screen?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:54:20 am by narhiril »

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2011, 04:53:10 am »

Did not think to check there, and I beleive it appears to be an error on my end, my bad  :( So disregard me <.<

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2011, 06:26:51 am »

I don't know how many of the people in this thread have already seen it, but I found a mod that has some interesting ideas in it for refining  materials and improving efficiency in industry. Not really the same sort of tech advancement that LFR brings to the table, more like the author was trying to make some reactions more "realistic". Maybe it will have some useful ideas in it? Also, the author claims to have changed smelting even though I think someone said earlier that it was hardcoded. Not sure how it was worked around, but that might be interesting to look into as well?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Civilization_Forge

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2011, 01:52:47 pm »

Some info on the weapons concept lab...

I'm still tweaking the numbers, but I've got something that's roughly working the way I want it.  This workshop will be unlocked with an item produced in documentation, making it a "tier two" building.  Though the item required is a chance product of documentation, it is significantly more common than most of the other unlocks, meaning that beginning documentation reactions will unlock this building pretty quickly.

These are the exact reaction raws:

Spoiler: Documentation (click to show/hide)

Obviously, there is a duplicate reaction for the magma alchemy lab.  The "treatise" and "theory" are currently unused, but are planned for future developments or easter egg reactions.  The "concept" tool unlocks the weapons concept laboratory.  The other unlocks are fairly obvious by their names. 

The first number, in case you're not familiar, is the percent chance per reaction.  This may seem very low, but you have to remember - if you have even a single training workshop from tier 1 operating, you will be pumping out enough slabs of accreditation to put this reaction on repeat (set n' forget).  In testing, unlock times have been variable, but generally very reasonable.  It usually takes only a few seasons to unlock the more common tier 2 advances, but it can take several workshops and several years to get them all unlocked.  There is technically a possibility that you will unlock them sooner, or never at all, but these chances are so remote that I won't expect them to affect gameplay in a negative way.  If they do, for some reason, I have alternative methods of unlocking them in mind for future versions.

In testing, it took me about a year of game time after training reactions started to unlock the experimental materials workshop (the rare one) on average, which I think is very reasonable.

---

But back to the new stuff - the weapons concept lab.  How this is currently working is...

1) It takes three bars of a specified metal and fuel (if non-magma).

2) It produces a random "mood" weapon of that material about 50% of the time.  Roughly 40% of reactions will yield no product (failed concept).  Roughly 10% will produce more than one weapon.  Many weapons available from this reaction are significantly more powerful than their plain counterparts to balance out the risk.

3) Individual metals use different reactions, to prevent you from getting useless products.  For example, the iovium reaction will never produce an edge weapon, and the adamantine reaction will never produce a blunt weapon.  Though probabilities differ slightly, they roughly follow the 50-40-10 ratio.

4) It uses the weaponsmithing skill to determine quality.

There are two versions of this workshop - one with magma, one without.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:56:09 pm by narhiril »

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2011, 06:55:38 pm »

The weapon labs sound like an excellent addition to the tech tree, and I'm excited to try them out! Do they exclusively use the higher tiers of metal or are they just better forges for weapons (with a risk of producing nothing at all)? Meaning, if you had an overadundance of mediocre metal (more than you need to outfit your militia) you'd still use the laboratory because you can afford to waste materials for superior gear.

Or are they strictly a higher tech option for later game (ie: only use rare materials)

I guess it doesn't matter, either way they seem like a fun idea.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:21 pm »

The weapon labs sound like an excellent addition to the tech tree, and I'm excited to try them out! Do they exclusively use the higher tiers of metal or are they just better forges for weapons (with a risk of producing nothing at all)? Meaning, if you had an overadundance of mediocre metal (more than you need to outfit your militia) you'd still use the laboratory because you can afford to waste materials for superior gear.

Or are they strictly a higher tech option for later game (ie: only use rare materials)

I guess it doesn't matter, either way they seem like a fun idea.

They will accept any weapons-grade metal.  If you can make a weapon out of it at a forge, you can use it for weapons concepts.  Obviously, a copper zomgsword (there isn't really a zomgsword, but I don't want to give any of the possibilities away) isn't going to rock as hard as a steel zomgsword, but you aren't restricted to using expensive metals.  However, the possible reward for risking valuable metals is much greater.  I did, however, try to cull the weapons based on metal properties (so you won't ever get an adamantine blunt weapon or a silver edged weapon).  I felt that the three bar requirement plus a chance of failure was risk enough without pumping out useless weapons.

I thought it was a fun and thematically fitting way to make all of the weapons a little more accessible without flooding the forge with new permitted weapon types.. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:04:39 pm by narhiril »

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:51 pm »

Yes, definitely a great idea. It also means that there is some risk for the (potentially) more powerful items, which is great. Fits into the mod nicely.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2011, 01:58:19 am »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2011, 07:55:26 pm »

Hey, Narhiril, I'm currently using the latest version of this mod, and I'm wondering if you've added hadrine that heavy armor metal (haldrium or something )?

Cuz three of my recent migrants have some extremely high toughness and durability, and since I already have a couple other squads of assorted weapons, I thought it may be interesting if I could have some around-the-city-entrance-corner tankers. (running speed doesn't matter in close confines).

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »

Yes, he has, I think. It's pretty hard to get though. I don't remember the exact details on how to get it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

Yes, he has, I think. It's pretty hard to get though. I don't remember the exact details on how to get it.

Hadrine didn't make it into 0.12.  Lustrum did (alternate fuel source), but hadrine is a new material for 0.13a.  It does not occur naturally, so you'll have to create it in the experimental materials workshop (also in 0.13a).

I had a nephilim diplomat show up, so I'm considering the test fortress a success.  One or two more last minute additions, and 0.13a will be out within a week or two.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:56 am »

I'm not really familiar with this, but is it possible to replace the .12c files with .13a (when it's released), and play a pre .13a fortress?

I'm quite finicky, and I could waste up to two hours looking for a good embark site, and even then, I usually get disappointed or bored after a year or two, or something happens that disillusions me. This is the first fort in a couple months that I have kept up for a couple of years and not given up, so I thought I'd ask.

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2011, 04:14:54 am »

I wouldn't beleive so, as when you add new things into the raws you need to generate a new world for them to show up. There is a mod supposedly that lets you put them in to running worlds, DF world tinker I beleive its called, but I was unable to use it successfully and ended up slagging a very profitable fort.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2011, 04:19:38 am »

Nuts...  :(

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2011, 04:57:46 am »

I wouldn't beleive so, as when you add new things into the raws you need to generate a new world for them to show up. There is a mod supposedly that lets you put them in to running worlds, DF world tinker I beleive its called, but I was unable to use it successfully and ended up slagging a very profitable fort.

Nuts...  :(

It's an inexact science, but hadrine is not actually a natural mineral, so it won't have any effect on existing stone layers.  The problem is that entity changes usually require a new world.  You could give it a try with tinker, but I can't make any promises.  Unfortunately, that's the way it is right now.

If it makes you feel any better, I use to be VERY picky about embarks, but the sheer number of new test builds I've had to load has changed that.  I tend to just embark in the middle of the desert now and grab wood and water from the first cavern level (or aquifer, if available).  I like my maps nice and flat.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 240