Removed
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:50:54 am by greatorder »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: wells
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »

You also need a free bucket and a mechanism. Did you have those?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »

Where were you trying to build it?
Why types of chains/blocks did you have?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »

Were the blocks and chain unused, in stockpiles, in locations which were reachable from where you were trying to build the bucket?  Did you accidentally screw up ramps when digging down and make the part of the fort with the well unaccessible from the part of the fort with the blocks and chain?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:19:31 am »

I had a similar issue with a dwarf with a very minor injury almost dying of thirst in a glacial embark area before I managed to get a water source set up. Basically what I did is deconstruct the bed the dwarf was laying on which forced him to get up at which point he went to get a beer and was saved. I think I had to deconstruct all the beds in the hospital or undefine the hospital zone. Anyway I basically kicked him out of the hospital and he was back to drinking alcohol.

Do you have mechanisms built? I believe you need a block, a rope/chain, and a mechanism. Also make sure none of the stuff has somehow become forbidden. (z Stocks)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:31:09 am »

I'd check to be sure they aren't forbidden, or assigned for building jobs.

Once a block or chain is assigned to a job, it's reserved and can't be used for anything else, just like raw stone for construction projects.

If you have any suspended animal chains, they will reserve a chain/rope

Same with suspended construction or workshops.

d-b-c I think is the command chain to get to mass claim.  Mass claim all your stockpiles with chains and blocks.  Then check for incomplete buildings, or make a couple more chains or blocks.

Then check for pathing.  That's really easy to do with burrows.  Create burrow at well, and create one at the storage site.  Put one dwarf in one of them, then after it gets there, take it out of that burrow and put it in the other.  Then send it back the other way.

If both of these tests don't resolve, look in your job listing to see if you have suspended buildings, or if your fort is small enough, just look aound for them.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 01:52:57 am »

It's not adding much, and not helping much given your tragedy has already occurred, but right next to the well (or as close as you can, and where there's still full access to the site), you can try to build (then fully cancel) the following, in turn:
  • A soap-maker's workshop[1], to checking that you have both a bucket and one of the accepted 'block' items available.
  • A restraint, to check that you have a rope/chain available.
  • A lever, to check that you have a mechanism available.

I know it's just the block and chain it mentioned (which also rules out another strangeness I can think of which should have prompted you about everything, if not given another error altogether), but the above should work well.

Alternatively, designate four 1x1 stockpiles right next to the well site, each one dedicated to an individual component (you can zero the bin/barrel numbers), although you'll never be quite sure whether the dwarfs are just not hauling there, rather than that they cannot or they have nothing to haul.

Sorry, I'm also going down the "are you sure you've got them all available!?!" route, but it really is the most likely thing.  I've done worse, in the past, although once I knew for sure what I'd done I was then able to recognise the symptoms again.

[1] Asheries and Dyer's workshops would also work for the bucket, but also need a barrel (superfluous to this test), and I think only one of them needs a block or pre-block equivalent material, so you'd also need to (b)uild a (c)onstruction to get a handle on the block availability.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:34:48 am »

Slabs are not the same as blocks.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:49:00 am »

sounds like a possible pathing issue?  Have you checked that dwarves can still access the area?  All it takes is inadvertently removing a ramp or stair and an area can become inaccessible.  Look around for missing ramps or stairs.  IF you are sure there is a good physical path, try locking, unpausing a few, then unlocking a door somewhere, this causes the engine to recalculate all paths, resolving the occasional pathing bug.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 01:56:48 pm »

Definitely smells like pathing.  If there is no valid path from a well building site to the storage for the well parts, I think it will do exactly as you have described.
Check your ramps and make sure they aren't sloping up into walls, for instance.  I did that to myself the other day when building a magma smithing facility.  Took me a couple minutes to figure it out, then I thumped myself in the head and made a stairway out rather than a ramp.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:28:28 pm »

Are you modding RAWs ?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:18 am »

You could also set up a water zone on the cavern lake, and let some dwarf fetch water directly from the lake in a bucket, to serve to the injured dwarf.  This is a temporary workaround until you can get the well up.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »

EDIT: on a new fort, I found an underground cavern with, instead of moss and fungus, grass. thought I'd mention it here rather than make another thread.

My 3rd cavern has both grass and fungus/moss, but mostly grass. Crundles live here. Strangely, the grass grows on dark tiles (because all tiles there are dark, of course). I don't think it's a bug. Or is it? The cavern also contains typical 3rd cavern underground trees.

My game is almost unmodded, not counting post-world gen changes. But I started that game in .18, and then was upgrading it to current .25, so if it is a bug, it was created under .18.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 11:02:05 am »

EDIT: on a new fort, I found an underground cavern with, instead of moss and fungus, grass. thought I'd mention it here rather than make another thread.

My 3rd cavern has both grass and fungus/moss, but mostly grass. Crundles live here. Strangely, the grass grows on dark tiles (because all tiles there are dark, of course). I don't think it's a bug. Or is it? The cavern also contains typical 3rd cavern underground trees.

My game is almost unmodded, not counting post-world gen changes. But I started that game in .18, and then was upgrading it to current .25, so if it is a bug, it was created under .18.

not like I'm complaining. it looks better than cave fungus and moss ;)

That's for sure. I feel like at home. And these nice pixies only add charm to this place.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:33 pm »

Remember dwarves cannot construct on diagonals, but they can mine. Perhaps the dwarves have no room to build a well. Also, did you dig a straight 1 space horizontal shaft directly down from the surface. The water below your potential well might have froze up
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: [1] 2