Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178731 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #990 on: February 09, 2024, 06:52:07 pm »

This map might be helpful.  It shows unprovoked raids.

Edit: Okay I uploaded to postimage, hopefully this fixes problems.  (Link a couple of posts down gives ability to see it larger.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 06:37:40 am by feelotraveller »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 09, 2024, 07:52:07 pm »

Image link's broken.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 09, 2024, 10:21:46 pm »

I'd have to fire it up but I usually set up a few minutes outside one of the Shek towns.

That would be your problem. It's certainly a tempting location, what with the well-stocked ruins in the area, but the bandits...yikes.

In that area you could get visits from the Holy Nation (need human male or it turns into a raid), Dust Bandits, Black Dragon Ninjas, Starving Bandits, Berserkers, Kral's Chosen, Band of Bones, and even the Shek Kingdom steals your food. And if you are REALLY (un)Lucky, one of your dudes can be one-shotted by the Spider's Big Brother, the Skin Spider.

Settle in the Empire's lands. They just want your money. And you might have to spend some time in the mines... :P

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 10, 2024, 03:30:23 am »

Image link's broken.

hmm, not for me...

Does this work for you https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/kenshi/images/f/fb/Unprovoked_Raid_Map.jpg/revision/latest ?

Otherwise I would guess you are lacking support for webp images.

Edit: another nice location to make a base is in the canyons NW of World's End - only cannibals to deal with up there but easy to use the terrain to your advantage - which is great for doing stuff with Flotsam Village/Ninjas.  Hardly central though if that is a concern.  But basically anywhere will involve lengthy travel to somewhere...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 03:39:49 am by feelotraveller »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 10, 2024, 04:54:28 am »

The link works for me on chrome, but the embedded image does not. Neither of them works on firefox.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 10, 2024, 06:25:37 am »

The link works for me on chrome, but the embedded image does not. Neither of them works on firefox.

Okay that's good (that one works).

It's strange though since I use firefox, although the a linux version.

Edit: uploaded to postimage, does that help?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 06:38:49 am by feelotraveller »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 10, 2024, 08:17:17 am »

It works for me on firefox
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 10, 2024, 09:55:48 am »

Yeah, postimage link works now.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 10, 2024, 01:21:57 pm »

I remember there being a lovely spot for a mountain hideout, next to the river in Holy Nation territory, near the slave mines and not far from their capitol settlement. There's, like, a natural stone gateway hiding the entrance, that you can fortify. It's generally very atmospheric.
But you absolutely need that mod that overrides buildings snapping to the ground, and lets them overlap the terrain a bit. Otherwise you'll end up with structures at disgusting angles and holes in the walls.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 11, 2024, 05:22:55 am »

There's a few spots in the Holy Nation I like to set up, the farmland's nice and the river raptors are good for training. Prayer Day is also the least taxing form of taxes as it were, provided you have a human male to deal with the dickheads and are paying attention when they show up. Keeping the hivers/sheks/skeletons hidden isn't hard, but it does get annoying.

Of course I generally go on to destroy the Holy Nation, so prayer day stops being a thing anyway.

I also like to live down by the Crab Raiders once I've gotten established. It's a hell of a walk to anything interesting, but you do get the Crab Tournament and the ensuing access to crab armour.

I think the most defensible locations are strictly the ones with lakes you can make raids swim through, because it means you can just shoot them to death with turrets, but while amusing that does take a lot of the fun out of fending off raids once you become strong enough to actually fight them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 16, 2024, 12:47:19 pm »

I'm slowly moving up the power ladder - after a brief but memorable trip from The Grid - where a map had pointed us to loot - along The Crater - where the Beak Things scared us away - down to The Hook to check out the slaver cities; then finally around to the High Bonefields, where we learned that bonedogs can come in both much larger sizes as well as much larger packs; we limped our way up through The Swamp to the Border Zone, back to our home base.

We caught a bit of luck when a wandering assassin happened to pass by where our party was crashed on sleeping mats, trying to heal up. We scooped up all the unconscious and/or severely limping members and tagged along behind him. With his help, we fended off two groups of the swamp spiders, before he led us to a small town in the southern portion of the Swamp.

Actually ended up buying a house there, since they didn't have a bar to sleep in. Healed up, and finally got back home and dropped off all the research loot I'd picked up.

Decided to take on a tower I'd passed by earlier. Turned out to belong to the Dust King. I noticed that the man himself was standing outside the tower, so tried to pull him without pulling aggro from everyone. That failed, but it turned out that my party is (finally!) well enough trained that a dozen or so well-equipped Dust Bandits are no longer a major worry. We took them all out, stripped them (and the tower) of anything valuable, and turned in the King for a sweet 35,000 cats.

Managed to upgrade my parties average armor level from Shoddy/Standard to something closer to Standard/High. Feels good.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 12:48:51 pm by AlStar »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 18, 2024, 02:46:33 pm »

Awesome!

What is your typical armor?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 18, 2024, 03:55:51 pm »

For most of my team, it's a Standard-grade Spiked Helmet (taken off Dust Bandits), with High-grade Armoured Rag Skirts (also taken off Dust Bandits), with either homemade Standard-grade Drifter's Boots or high-grade Samurai Boots (Dust Bandits, again).

Most of us either have Rusty Chainmail (from ruins) or Leather Shirts or Vests, which is mostly store-bought, although I've apparently got a couple which are stolen, although I don't remember who I grabbed them from. (Mostly Standard-grade, although a couple High or Shoddy)

I stopped by the Armor King, so my first character is now equipped in Masterwork Grade stuff, but we didn't have even remotely enough cash to equip the rest of the party that way.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 18, 2024, 05:13:48 pm »

Heart Protectors for the Armour piece, I gather?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 19, 2024, 07:47:35 am »

Playing this again. It kinda bums me out how much beak thing eggs go for. A single nest can easily net you more cats than the highest of bounties. I sort of want to ignore them for the sake of immersion, but I can't force myself to not take advantage of how convenient it makes running a larger team.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68