Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178732 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #975 on: February 01, 2024, 12:35:57 pm »

I think one of the saddest moments I've had so far was after watching a roaming band of berserkers run in and trash the local starving bandit hideout.

The Berserkers knock down everyone, patch themselves up, then continue on their way. I sneak into the outskirts of camp, and loot one of the bodies - but he's just playing dead, and rouses himself after I snatch his sword. My character proceeded to spend nearly a minute fighting this unarmed, badly hurt, starving bandit before I finally managed to get a couple of good hits in to knock them back down. Ended up hurt enough that it was too risky to try and take on any of the other bandits (who were slowly limping around and bandaging themselves up by this time.)

It's tough getting those first combat points.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 01, 2024, 01:46:35 pm »

Oh yes, I just remembered my starting money strategy.

Head southwest of Squin to the waystation there. Spend 2000 on some mercs and head to the exile camp just south of the waystation. Tora the Fearless lives there, and your mercenaries can take care of the camp by themselves. Grab him after they're done and hand in the bounty at Squin. Nets you some equipment and extra money (And a tad of combat experience) at no risk.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 02, 2024, 02:15:34 am »

Oh yes, I just remembered my starting money strategy.

Head southwest of Squin to the waystation there. Spend 2000 on some mercs and head to the exile camp just south of the waystation. Tora the Fearless lives there, and your mercenaries can take care of the camp by themselves. Grab him after they're done and hand in the bounty at Squin. Nets you some equipment and extra money (And a tad of combat experience) at no risk.

I've actually never had much luck with that strategy. You must have just gotten lucky once with Tech Hunters. Their equipment is random, so they can range from Legendary to Losers.

Now, if you want a REAL moneymaker, spend 4000 cats on 2 teams of mercs, and take on the Dust King.  His bounty is 30,000 cats!

Honestly, there is plenty of wealth just lying around, but Kenshi is all about the discovery. 
My Min-Max 20 minute workouts kinda take the fun out of the early game.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 02, 2024, 02:24:02 pm »

No luck, I've done it some ~5 times and never failed. It's helped by the Band of Bones being starving. I mean, I get the shit kicked out of me every time but that's what the mercs are for.

And the Dust King's a good idea. There's also a unique recruit.

And I just do Tora to get some starter equipment, it's better than grinding copper. There's also the drug farm and Flat's Lagoon, but that's just too easy. I'll do it sometimes to equip a large squad but often I'll ignore it until I'm already getting somewhere.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 06, 2024, 02:15:22 am »

I've got to say, this game is really sucking me in.

We had a really lucky break a while back when a trader caravan ran into both a Berserker and a Kral's Chosen force simultaneously. Most of them managed to get out, but one of their pack animals died, and I was able to loot it for almost 30,000 worth of skeleton repair kits, as well as enough high-quality food that I didn't have to worry about feeding my squad for many hours of playtime.

We're now up to 9 members in our band, with a home base out of one of the ruined houses in Squin (a fairly traditional choice, if my Google searches are any indication.) We managed to capture the 10,000 bounty south of Waystation, and actually killed all the bandits there, so we can use their beds to recharge and their training dummies to get up to level 15 combat for my new recruits. I'm reading conflicting things regarding respawning, but for now, the place seems devoid of life, even after travelling away from it for multiple days.

Travelled down to the Swamp. Learned to hate the little spider things that do 100 damage. Learned to hate the Swamp Ninjas.

Travelled to the Spider Plains. Learned why it's called that. Had an exciting time when I ran into a group of Berserkers... who ran into Spiders... who ran into Kral's Chosen... who ran into a Wandering Assassin... who ran into EVEN MORE spiders. Had to actually reload from that one, since the spiders won, and started eating everyone.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 07, 2024, 05:22:59 pm »

I'm getting PTSD from reading about the spiders. Fuckers attack so fast and hard and are so hard to hit. They have been the cause of many loaded games.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 07, 2024, 07:16:56 pm »

The Swamp: Run fast or Die hard

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 08, 2024, 06:41:25 am »

*The Swamp: Run as fast as your computer can render or Die Hard

The load times have dropped a lot since my new GPU, but I still dare not enter the swamp. Something about the vegetation or fog or something made it load every 5 meters and spend ages doing so.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 08, 2024, 09:16:16 pm »

*The Swamp: Run as fast as your computer can render or Die Hard

The load times have dropped a lot since my new GPU, but I still dare not enter the swamp. Something about the vegetation or fog or something made it load every 5 meters and spend ages doing so.

Yeah, The Swamp will Swamp your PC.  It's not one thing, its ALL of the stuff AT ONCE.  It's a real test of your graphics settings and computer.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 09, 2024, 10:05:41 am »

I've got to say, this game has some of the most amazing emergent gameplay I've run across.

My group (now ten strong) was walking along an acid-filled river, when we spotted some ancient ruins. Problem: they were absolutely swarming with the little Swamp spiders. While trying to figure out how to approach the problem (several reloads later), the problem solved itself when a pack of beak things wandered into the village.

The spiders attacked the beak things, and gave a pretty good account of themselves. I attacked the (now weakened) beak things, as well as any spiders that managed to pick themselves back up. We looted the ruins, netting some decent gear, as well as some tools, which let us start cracking the door on the final building - a lost library. Sadly, the act of cracking the door is apparently fairly loud, and so we were beset by several gorilloids in quick succession. When the door was finally cracked open, we scooted inside, then closed the door behind us - and not a moment too soon, since another beak thing had come in to feast on all the corpses.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 09, 2024, 11:14:05 am »

Every time I start reading the Kenshi thread I get the urge to play....and then I remember how actually having a base is a total crap shoot on whether the AI will just dog pile you into submission.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #986 on: February 09, 2024, 12:51:39 pm »

The key is setting up in a spot that's far enough off of the regular patrol routes so that they never pile a patrol on top of a raid.
I recall finding a map, last time I built, that showed safe areas, in addition to areas that were both safe and resource rich.

You could skip the map and just watch for patrols for several days around each locations you're thinking of building, but it's not worth the time, imo.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 09, 2024, 02:16:19 pm »

In all fairness I have set up a base in the same relative spot every time because it's close enough to a city that making a trip to town isn't a ridiculous ordeal.

Some games I was able to get it going fast enough/well enough to survive an over the top BDN raid.....and other times it's so relentless that I'd have to abandon the base to keep my party alive and could never retake it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 09, 2024, 05:17:39 pm »

In all fairness I have set up a base in the same relative spot every time because it's close enough to a city that making a trip to town isn't a ridiculous ordeal.

Some games I was able to get it going fast enough/well enough to survive an over the top BDN raid.....and other times it's so relentless that I'd have to abandon the base to keep my party alive and could never retake it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A couple of my favourite base locations are on the edge of the swamp just outside holy nation territory because screw those guys or alternatively in one of two craters in (above) the fog islands - only cannibals, fogmen and bandits visit the latter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 09, 2024, 05:36:09 pm »

I'd have to fire it up but I usually set up a few minutes outside one of the Shek towns.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68