Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178850 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #720 on: February 07, 2019, 03:59:41 pm »

So I found a Leviathan wandering in Venge. No idea how it got there.

It was stomping some skeleton thralls and got blasted by the death ray several times. The death ray killed it. I rushed to loot and was pretty disappointed. I expected to get enough skin to outfit an army in leather armor and more meat than I could carry, plus maybe something special. Instead I just got a handful of meath and a "leviathan pearl" worth few thousands. A little underwhelming, I think.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 08, 2019, 05:21:50 pm »

I know they can show up in Bonefields, and sometimes Flats Lagoon, but I've never seen one in Venge, that's super weird.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 08, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »

There's a 'lost' leviathan spawn in that area, and it can roam pretty far, I've seen it march all the way from greencoast to the bonefields.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 09, 2019, 04:41:03 am »

It was in the southern edge of Venge, so I guess it spawned in Lagoons and wandered north. I'm not complaining, I think it is nice to get surprises like that.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:54 pm »

Despite having put over almost 200 hours into this game there is still so much I have yet to see or do. For example, I have never gone leviathan hunting and I have yet to kill the bugmaster. I have also still not fully fleshed out the tech tree for my main party yet.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:57 am »

Despite having put over almost 200 hours into this game there is still so much I have yet to see or do. For example, I have never gone leviathan hunting and I have yet to kill the bugmaster. I have also still not fully fleshed out the tech tree for my main party yet.

I'm the same, haven't killed the bugmaster or messed with any of the world states. I've got three different files on the go, I may merge them at some point then just go all out and take out the UC + HN. Still haven't decided where I want to go with two of them, so we'll see.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 12, 2019, 11:58:37 am »

I'm playing on and off, but I plan to join both Anti-slavers and anti-holies, eventually trashing both nations. Shek can exist.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 12, 2019, 04:20:29 pm »

So it is actually possible to eliminate factions? I was always kinda under the impression that groups and city guards respawn after a time. Otherwise settlements would be overrun and/or you'd eventually run out of foes to fight.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 12, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »

Maybe, maybe not. I've definitely seen towns "change" over time, with buildings getting destroyed and shops relocating to unoccupied buildings.

It's also probably that City Guards are x10 the combatants of anything that would march toward their gates. I don't think the Holy Nation marches on Shek but I could be wrong. But that was the balance as it appeared to me. Reminded me strongly of MMOs where city gate guards were practically raid bosses if you tried to take them on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #729 on: February 12, 2019, 05:12:14 pm »

There are triggers that change towns. Killing UC lords will have other factions take over their towns, for instance. In other cases cities will be abandoned or overrun.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 13, 2019, 10:36:55 am »

You can also use the reactive world mod which adds in a lot of those features to the game. For example wiping out the holy nation will allow the Shek to move further into the borderlands. Really keeps the whole world fresh, ya know?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 13, 2019, 03:55:25 pm »

So it is actually possible to eliminate factions? I was always kinda under the impression that groups and city guards respawn after a time. Otherwise settlements would be overrun and/or you'd eventually run out of foes to fight.

There is the reactive world mod, but I haven't used it. I want to smack the world in vanilla first. In vanilla, killing/kidnapping leaders changes the status of the world. Delivering them to their enemies is usually the biggest factor, especially faction leaders. Some factions are destroyed, some splinter into multiple factions, some cities get conquered by monsters and so forth. Stuff changes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 16, 2019, 02:44:52 am »

It may just be a result of the way I almost have to play Kenshi (ie, shut down everything other than Kenshi itself to get mostly-stable framerates and loading times), but I tend to play it for long periods. And I do mean long. I just binged it for two consecutive days. Here is the story of Hood's Honchos.

I used a modded start that gives 30 nobodies to start. They can be any race, but because I wanted to try and settle Okran's Valley I went with a pure human crowd. Previous attempts at this have resulted in tragedy 9/10 times.

Off to a great start! Game loads and everyone starts complaining about acid rain. Luckily I started inside an abandoned village, I run everyone indoors to escape the rain aaaaaaaaaand every building is full of killer robots. RUN AWAY!

What followed was a couple hours of trying to find my way to safer climes while occasionally quick-loading when I accidentally run smack into some killer crabs or packs of beak things. At one point some southern hive dudes decide to kick the crap out of my dudes, but fortunately don't kill any of them. My dudes wander through the wilderness, moving in a generally north-northwest direction. We spot a couple of leviathans but stay well clear.

Eventually we come across the legendary Catun! Although we have no money, we seek refuge in the city of smiths, and not a moment too soon! A leviathan and a horde of beak things besiege the city, and hordes of samurai rush out to fight them. I run my dudes through the chaos to grab beak thing meat and leather, while putting other dudes on the city's wall turrets to shoot at the leviathan. When it falls, I immediately rush a dude out to grab the beast's pearl. Victory! Money! Food!

Unfortunately I made a bit of an error. I splurge my new wealth on a a cheap scientist and a Shinobi membership, as well as a bunch of discounted thief backpacks, leaving little money for food. Not that Catun has a lot of food to choose from anyway. The Honchos, now 31 strong, move on.

There are more failures and more reloads along the way. I somehow manage to not find any major cities on the road, but I do find hostile settlements and bandit groups a-plenty. At one point, in a desert pockmarked with odd lakes, I get hit by like three bandit groups at once. Then the beak things showed up to feed. Reload.

It took a long time, but eventually I come to Waystation. I move everyone inside, send the healthiest ones out to mine ore, and send the dudes with backpacks out hunting for the Hub. They find a number of ruins, which they loot for everything they can carry and sell. They also find a tower that appears to be inhabited by dust bandits. Hmm.

With the funds from the ruin scavenging trips as well as the loot from Hub's little shack, I hire a squad of mercenaries and lead them to the tower. Honchos and mercs work together to bring down the Dust King along with his bodyguards. The Dust King, along with one of his goons that had a far smaller bounty, becomes my prisoner! Honchos loot the tower of everything even remotely valuable (except hashish; I don't know where to safely sell that) and free a prisoner named Cat, who becomes the 32nd Honcho.

Once everything is sorted, the group heads to Hub. The mercs, still under contract, protect the Honchos from another group of bandits and help hunt a large herd of wild goats, which goes a long way toward staving off starvation. The stop in Hub is brief, just long enough to sell off loot and buy more food before heading to Squin to turn in the two bounties. After Squin, we head to Stack.

Stack is the first real base for the Honchos. A small house is bought, basic research is completed, and a bunch of Honchos get to work mining copper from the land around Stack. Fast-moving dudes (one good thing about a cross-continental trip: almost everyone has good Athletics) head into Okran's Valley to prospect for likely base locations and look for free recruits (and find none, of course. I swear half the bars are completely depopulated). Using copper funds, I load an expedition with greenfruit and building supplies and send them out to get a base up and running.

And that is basically where I am now. Several fields are sown, the walls are up, buildings built, and except for the Stack Miners the entirety of the Honchos lives and works on the base full-time. Things are not yet self-sufficient, though. 30+ people go through a lot of food, and even with three large vegetable patches and two XL wheat patches, I still find myself sending pack mules to various cities to buy more food, which necessitates the Stack Miners continuing to work so I can keep the money flowing in. It's getting better all the time, but it'll be some time yet before I can trust things to run well enough to start mounting real exploration.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:07 pm »

Double post, but I have a rather immediate matter that I need advice on.

What's the procedure when one of your dudes is enslaved? I got into a very large and very messy fight with some Dust Bandits. We won, but most of my dudes were knocked out and the ones still on their feet quite badly injured.

The problem is that we won partially thanks to a group of slave mongers that were passing by and joined in the melee. After all the Dust Bandits were down, the slave mongers began capturing anyone they could get their hands on. Including one of my own, and my remaining dudes can't hope to take the slave mongers on without getting beat up and possibly captured themselves.

So uh, what now? I've never had a slave character before.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #734 on: February 18, 2019, 10:25:54 pm »

So uh, what now? I've never had a slave character before.

As I recall, from several versions ago, it's basically a jailbreak when they get taken to whatever post that slaver group is patrolling from.
So, more or less it's the same as when you're escaping from being caught for having a bounty, but most of the place you're escaping from will alert to you, instead of just the cops.
There's also usually several nearby slaves you can also free in your attempt, which will help either distract or overpower the guards.
As a bonus, they will often offer to join your faction if they escape with you nearby.
Of course, you can just go in and take the whole base on, but that's not really an option in your case.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 68