Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178901 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #570 on: October 09, 2018, 03:20:33 pm »

Cool, thanks. I'm going to see what this 20 to 30+ bandit jamboree looks like before I import.

yeah it'll have a menu when you choose to import where you can set the same stuff you do when you make a new game and also check boxes for including buildings, squad location and research. by squad location i mean like when you save and load, you have that little checkmark for import squad or something like that? yeah, that'll make it so wherever you saved your camera location is where all your dudes will spawn. but since it resets it all when you import a save, what it'll do is teleport everyone to a space near the middle of the map
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »

As in....middle of the world map? Or the chunk you have currently loaded?

Which brings me to another interesting thing.....the tech behind this game must be kind of interesting. The way it manages to simulate shit correctly no matter where your guys are.

Since the squad cap is 40, I've wondered what would happen to the game if you put 40 guys in 40 different cities across the world. Would the burden of simulating that much shit at the same time cause the game to crap itself? Because it appears to almost fully simulate everything around each character. To the point a guy running from point A to B has enemies around them simulated in real time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 09, 2018, 09:22:44 pm »

@nenjin I've had multiple groups of people around the map, with no noticeable difference. Also, I'd recommend checking out some mods on the steam workshop if you haven't yet. There's some good ones there, including one that raises the squad cap to 256.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 13, 2018, 09:55:56 am »

So, show of hands. I can't be the only one dying to play a Fallout overhaul mod for this game, right?

The obvious references are obvious, after all. Well, maybe they're just referencing what Fallout is referencing. Still the same though!
Love, scriver~

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #574 on: October 13, 2018, 10:45:35 am »

Same.
I'd guess that large overhauls are more likely to appear when the game is out of beta and stable.
My dabbling in the editor definitely shows that a *great* deal of the game is moddable, with the exception of the map terrain itself.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 13, 2018, 06:27:52 pm »

So I opted into experimental, and took my hardened squad down SE.  The eight primary members of the squad had no difficulty whatsoever when I unintentionally walked into Ark.  I was unprepared for the fourteen new recruits I ended up with via liberal application of lockpicking on the slave cages.

While attempting to move further south I quickly came to the conclusion that having 22 people, most of whom had poor stats/skills is extremely unwieldy for a single squad.  I ran out to greenbeach hoping to buy myself some breathing room and reorganize.  This turned out to be a massive mistake, as I had my first encounter with crab raiders right there on that moonlit night.  I fought for DAYS against raiders and crabs, my inventory was quickly overloaded with meat, all of my new recruits had full standard or high grade crab armor.

I finally managed to disengage, thankfully avoiding any deaths, but heading back north would mean walking through reaver infested lands, so I turned west.  This was also a monumentally bad idea.  The early part of this leg was fairly calm, a few pitched battles (costing one of my recruits an arm) and we were clear of the heaviest resistance.  After making my way to the Flats Lagoon I decided to head SW to Catun, this is where things went extremely bad.  The bonefields are a horrific nightmare place, where the most evil creature I have thus far encountered walks, the dread Elder Beak Thing.  One, alone, managed to crush my army (now thirty strong with some additional freed slave stragglers who had decided to join and a stylin' crab purchased from the crab raiders) as well as a tech hunter patrol, and two full size hive trade caravans.  If not for my core elites the adventure would have ended right there, thankfully Ruka, Bard, and Glain (not a special recruit, just a long-time member of my faction) were able to kite the damned monster away from my downed recruits and gave me time to bandage them, then the damned thing walked right back over, and got KOed by my main, Intess (I immediately took the creature's leather, killing it).

Catun itself was a bit of a let-down.  Interesting place, but the Scrapmasters were underwhelming, if I wanted huge piled of Catun grade 1-3 I'd grind up some additional smiths, Intess makes Edge 3 in bulk.  After that weak diversion I had to fight my way south towards The Hook, this was time consuming but not difficult once there I was home free.

The trek back to Blacksite Omega was boring and tedious, and nothing interesting happened at all.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 13, 2018, 07:11:42 pm »

I ended up getting two bandit attacks. One predictably flattened me.

The other was the BDN again and this time they....took over my base. But in a really uninteresting and buggy way. They looted half of my food then just stood in groups twitching. I bandaged up my guys and put them in our own beds, and as soon as they were well enough to get up to eat, the BDN tore them apart again. Having already used most of my med supplies already, it feels like a lost cause.

So I'm going to either re-import my game and sort of start with a veteran squad and a base, or restart entirely and not worry about base building at all until I have a crack squad of killers. Part of the problem though is Lvl 2 research. Smaller buildings in towns for sale won't suffice, and Lvl 1 tech is fairly basic. So that's kind of a rub.

I dunno. For the game acting like it's this free form simulation where they're not trying to set the difficulty with level scaling and such, they sure are cramming a shit load of unwinnable fights down my throat.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 13, 2018, 07:35:18 pm »

That's kind of the point here, and I agree, it can be very disheartening early on.  When I started out I had to keep bouncing back and forth between two separate bases I had built in order to keep things rolling.  Now I buy a storm house in The Hub and rebuild it, then I build a small research bench and fill out tech level 1, I then disassemble the small bench and get enough plates to build the full-size tech station, and fill out tech level 2.  At that point I either start training in earnest or push through tech 3 (direct upgrade of the tech 2 bench, costs a bunch more iron plates tho').  From there I usually end up with fighters at around 30 skill/stats, so I can deal with Dust Bandits and Hungry Bandits pretty easily, but the Black Dragons are almost completely OP until you're past 50 in your stats.

The only particularly good solution to this is to build far, far away from the BD's area of influence, there are good spots all over the place, but there's always a tradeoff.  The Fog Lands have some really great spots, but you have to deal with fogmen.  Leviathan Coast has some simply amazing locations, with full fertility (green and desert) but you'll have lots of wildlife to contend with, and the cannibals will be sending armies at you.  There's a beautiful spot on the south side of Howler Maze, right on the beach with nearby iron and copper, with full fertility and stone, but it acid rains almost constantly and the UC and slavers will be coming around regularly.

But you can also abandon ship for a while, and go out and raid ruins, or engage in trade (but that's pretty weak mid/late game), then come back later.  If there isn't anyone home then no new events will be generated for the base, so you can grind up for a while to deal with things.

Also, if you really need to do some power-leveling, capture a hungry bandit, outfit them with really good armor and an extremely weak weapon, then lock a trainee in a room with the bandit and let them fight until one drops.  Have some better fighters on standby to put down the bandit again, heal up and repeat.  If you have the Ark weapons pack mod it includes a training sword that inflicts negligible damage, which will seriously prolong the fights and massively increase the stat gains.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 13, 2018, 07:54:12 pm »

And yes, the Black Dragon Ninja raid is totally bugged. I haven't had a single raid by them that didn't end with them just hanging around my food storage for no reason, possibly for days. They don't attack either unless provoked. Just chillin'.

They can be janked out of it though, I've had it happen with my latest place, and then they left like they're supposed to. I'm not confident of any hows or why's, but I drew the conclusion - though it might very well be coincidental - that each of the times they were attacked by third party factions, and that seemed to be what finally clicked the AI back into place.

Also, I ended up paying the Dust Bandits to not assault me, as I'm nowhere near ready to fight them yet. But roaming Dust Bandit gangs still attack me. Fucking assholes. Can't trust a single bandit these days.
Love, scriver~

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 13, 2018, 09:23:06 pm »

Pretty much interested in the game, but im a bit strapped for mones so im gonna wait for a sale.

how exciting.

EDIT: upon looking upon my steam library, I realized I already purchased the game last week  and i simply forgot. Amazing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:26:20 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 13, 2018, 09:28:48 pm »

Pretty much interested in the game, but im a bit strapped for mones so im gonna wait for a sale.

how exciting.

EDIT: upon looking upon my steam library, I realized I already purchased the game last week  and i simply forgot. Amazing.
Last week?  That's impressive. I can see how you might have bought it months or years ago and just forgot... but last week?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 13, 2018, 11:16:26 pm »

I'm very forgetful, unfortunately, I played it for about ten minutes and then stopped.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 14, 2018, 12:46:17 am »

I ended up getting two bandit attacks. One predictably flattened me.

The other was the BDN again and this time they....took over my base. But in a really uninteresting and buggy way. They looted half of my food then just stood in groups twitching. I bandaged up my guys and put them in our own beds, and as soon as they were well enough to get up to eat, the BDN tore them apart again. Having already used most of my med supplies already, it feels like a lost cause.

So I'm going to either re-import my game and sort of start with a veteran squad and a base, or restart entirely and not worry about base building at all until I have a crack squad of killers. Part of the problem though is Lvl 2 research. Smaller buildings in towns for sale won't suffice, and Lvl 1 tech is fairly basic. So that's kind of a rub.

I dunno. For the game acting like it's this free form simulation where they're not trying to set the difficulty with level scaling and such, they sure are cramming a shit load of unwinnable fights down my throat.

Yeah, BDN are super buggy rn. But importing would end the raid, so that's a plus. As for level 2 research, any building bigger than a small/swamp shack can fit a lvl 2 bench, so the problem is just getting enough iron plates to fill it out. That's what I did, rebuilt the watchtower in the waystation east of the deadlands, then ran the hashish trade route with a couple of my guys, while the other two trained/researched/mined copper to sell.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 14, 2018, 03:47:02 pm »

Things are back on track, for now. Didn't get to adjust the options I was hoping for but at least no one is camping in my base. (Although clearly the code is there, The Band of Bones was shouting "THIS PLACE IS OURS NOW, GET OUT" the last time they attacked me.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:54:10 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 16, 2018, 09:23:24 am »

Well I've broken the Dust Bandit barrier.

At least when they don't come at me 16 strong. Last night I had what I call Night of the Knives. Had all my guys doing stuff, when one of them gets aggro in the middle of the base. I'm used to this by now. When someone gets aggro in the base it's because the mighty fort gate was brought down in about 20 seconds by a group of bandits.

It was just a small group of Starvers which we handily kicked the shit out of. We're dumping corpses (since the broken gate and wall break the 'Throw this guy out of the base' action) when another group of Dust Bandits comes charging in to the base on the heels of the second. They're only outnumbered by 1 but it's still a relatively close fight. Finally bring them all down with only two real causalities, and manage to take the leader prisoner for that sweet, sweet bounty.

I'm sure the next time a 'tier 3' bandit group like Band of Bones or BDN attacks, I'll get stuffed. But it's nice to actually be able to turn away bandit attacks now, sometimes. It is a little annoying that the game seems to be generating a constant stream of tier 1 and 2 bandits though. Seems like I can't send anyone outside the base without at least having to dodge one group doing hotlaps around it.

Also I wish the game would either add sound effects or a notification for broken buildings. Half the time I only know the gate is busted when I have Starvers charging in to my larder in numbers. I don't have the extra manpower yet to post gate guards. Or, I dunno, some kind of alarm technology? Also while I get why walls and gates are essentially paper thin, it's pretty damn annoying to have to repair it daily because 3 guys in rags with sticks were able to knock it down.

I figure I'll do a few more days of building up before I start sending out scouting parties for things to do. Now that I can convert prisoners I no longer have to make the 1 to 2 day journey to find some crap sack 1/1/1 character.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:30:43 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 68