Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178918 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #480 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27:47 pm »

I installed a few mods (indoor versions of some critical outdoor machines so I can live in town, and a training swords mod), and now Kenshi is fun again. The training swords in particular make getting guys good enough to take on enemies with a reasonable chance to win much easier (the amount of grinding you need to do before you have decent troops was one of my #1 issues with the game).

Anyway, currently I'm trying to find a good way to liberate limbs from my guy's bodies. The game makes losing a limb sound like a bad thing, but if you check in at robotics shops you can sometimes find high quality limbs that range from better than normal, to MUCH better than normal. Also (IIRC) you can swap limbs at any time to match the situation. I really want to run a small squad of elite cyborgs now...

EDIT: I found a few suggested ways that may work:
1) There are areas with acid polluted ground. If you don't wear shoes you take leg damage. This takes care of legs.
2) If you wear armor that protects your core and head, there is a decent chance of losing a limb without dieing. This works for arms and legs, but is a bit risky.
3) Get caught by fogmen, pick the lock on the prisoner pole, let them eat your arms, then run like crazy. You really need to have robot legs first, as you need them for your escape, but the acid thing should take care of that part.

I really hope plastic surgeons get the ability to remove limbs in a future update...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:47:29 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #481 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:29 am »

Black Desert City has the best quality robotic limbs - you can get masterwork stuff there very frequently. The scrapyard there has the best weapons too - it stocks up to Edge 3.

Legs are very easy to remove just by standing on the acid ground, as you discovered. Black Desert City is conveniently located in an area with 100% acid rain, acid ground, and acid lakes.

Arms you can fight something that deals 100% cut damage (a captured bandit with a katana works) and get armor for everywhere but the arms. Turn off your medics. Fight until KO, then bandage yourself and stop before it starts to bandage the arms (it bandages from top to bottom, so if you have head/chest/stomach wounds those get healed first). Rest if needed, then do it again. This will quickly get you some bad arm wounds that will start getting worse since you don't bandage them - you can either wait till they get worse and fall off, or keep up the fighting/bandaging until they're cut off in combat. Ideally you would just remove your legs first and not have them on during this step, so get hit more often in the other spots. You could remove all 4 limbs with this method, but I would recommend against losing all 4 limbs at once as that will likely made you bleed to death.

Alternatively, you can pick a fight with no arm protection and run as soon as you take some good hits to the arms. As long as the arms are lower than the rest of the body, you can get rid of them simply by swimming or standing in acid rain until they fall off - just keep a buddy on hand to rescue him if you're going to pass out before the damage gets high enough to knock the limbs off. If you take too many hits to vital parts, just rest up and try again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:16:02 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 24, 2018, 02:19:53 pm »

The swimming in acid thing is a great idea! Particularly for those high level guys who are getting hard to damage...
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:06 am »

The things that make sense in a game...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:23 pm »

So.... it normal for me to make enough money to buy anything I want just by following around a patrol and looting anything they kill?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 01, 2018, 01:18:51 am »

Normal, yes...balanced and intended? Most likely not

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:33 am »

The fastest way I have found to make money, is mining copper and selling it in the Hub. For some reason it goes for 222c there rather than 180c. There are probably better spots to sell it, but I started in the Hub, so why travel?

There are two copper spots just outside of town, and it was easy to buy a shack to build a copper storage so mining can be automated. Now all I need to do is stop by and sell copper/buy food every now and again.

I really need to get some guys together to go start a farm, buying food is murder on my bank account.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:30 pm »

O man the first time I tried playing I started building a shack, just trying out the building system. IMMEDIATELY 3 starving bandit squads ran to it. I just ran away and thought building a base spawns hordes of units to attack you, and that it was some super late game stuff.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 01, 2018, 07:00:41 pm »

That is one reason I like to buy a shack in town, at least until I have some combat troops. AFAIK a small base won't actually attract bandits, but you will still spend a lot of time running away to the nearest town before you have your guys trained up.

If you pick the 6 man base builder start it is a different story (you need a food source ASAP, and you may as well pick farms), but with the normal one person start living in town is perfectly viable for quite some time.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 02, 2018, 12:12:24 pm »

The absolutely fastest way to make money is to train thieving. Stealing is crazy exploitable when you can just chill around a corner from a box in the middle of the day and steal thousands of cats worth of stuff. Or sneak into a shop and clean them out at night and get away with a bag full of swords that sell for thousands each.

The fastest non-exploity way to get money is looting ruins. I sent a nearly new char (he had spent a little bit of time in a slave camp - there was a slaver squad right next to where he spawned and they hauled him off) to the waystation near the deadlands. Looted some junk on the way and had enough cash to buy a scavenger basket and some meat, and headed straight into the deadlands - still marked as an escaped slave. Looted the one ruined building for a bunch of robotics kits and other high value stuff. Used the money from that at the Waystation to hire two mercenary groups, and used the mercenary groups to raid the workshops and other buildings in the Deadlands. I made frequent trips to Black Desert City to sell everything, and ended up with something like 300k at the end of looting the places - as well as a bunch of research artifacts (engineering research and ancient books). And picking all the locks gave me very good lock picking skill. You need a bit of lock picking skill to start, though - I trained it during my brief time of being enslaved.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 08, 2018, 04:57:29 pm »

So I made a shop counter, set my building to public, opened the door, put a variety of items in it (looted armor/weapons, various materials for crafting and building, and food) but no one has bought anything for what seems like weeks. I'm especially surprised at the food, as the wiki says that all citizens want food.

Anyone know why I'm not selling anything? I'm in Squin if that matter.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 08, 2018, 06:50:48 pm »

The citizens only want very specific items. And even then it seems kind of iffy if they'll actually buy anything. I think the AI for it is currently bugged.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #492 on: June 28, 2018, 01:41:50 pm »

Just got the game.

I tried building a shack, but couldn't find any materials. By that afternoon a huge squad of bandits rolled over to me and the barrel full of water that I stole. They punched me in the stomach, I fell over and slowly died while they wandered away.

300/10

OK this is weird. The basic start had you appearing with no skills, tools, or real clothing in a destroyed town during a dust storm. The surrounding region has no resources you can harvest and is crawling with bandits. The tutorial days you should buy or build a house so you can start researching, but there's no source of building supplies and the cheapest buildings in town cost 40x your starting money. Also, this whole town is destroyed. Who am I supposed to give the money to?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:40:24 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:09 pm »

There are a bunch of copper and iron nodes scattered around outside the town for that start. Sell the ore you mine to the shopkeep guy in the large building at one end of the town until you have enough to buy the one intact building in the town (besides the inn/shop), using the beds on the second floor of the shop if you need some good sleep until you get the house.

Mind you when I reached that point I was chased by a group of slavers into a group of hungry bandits who stabbed my legs out from under me, so that's all the advice I have for that start.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #494 on: June 29, 2018, 12:54:28 am »

Some beds cost .5c to rent, and some cost 100c to rent. They are not distinguished in any way.

ARGH WHY IS THIS GAME FUN?!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:46:29 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 68