Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 179003 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2016, 07:03:44 pm »

Disks? Where we're going we don't need disks.

Then tell me, future boy, what's the best game downloading client in 2085? Desura!? From ModDB?! HA! Then what's the second best, Youtube?! I suppose Microsoft does internet radio too! And Dropbox becomes a movie streaming service!
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2016, 07:04:51 pm »

No, you don't understand. I buy games just fine, I just get them direct from the publisher or through GoG and other DRM free places (as for steam games... We won't talk about them, except to say bit torrent works fine even on crappy laptops or when run from a flash drive).

Anyway, internet costs would reduce my game budget to nothing, so no internet.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2016, 12:58:45 am »

Think you guys think Kenshi is worth buying? I was thinking of this or Subnautica, but Kenshi looks a lot more my type.

I like Skyrim, though kinda done with it. Currently playing Fallout 4 that I like a lot. Also like witcher 3 a lot. Big into open world (singleplayer) games. I love RUST too, but don't like restarting over and over with dumb server resets.

I mostly like building up a base, and like hunting/camping kinda play throughs of being nomadic. And to be honest, I never finish main quest of any game lol (except the rare times I play linear games and did finish the fallout 4 one), I just like to play all the side stuff and explore. Dunno if Kenshi allows that (I know you can build a city, but dunno if you can do camping or not).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:49:51 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2016, 01:26:55 am »

I just use a laptop at the library to download what I need (three cheers for DRM free games!), take it home, and move everything over to the "real computer" via a handy ethernet cable.

The laptop sucks for everything but basic web browsing,but it makes an OK data-shuttle...

I could get internet where I live, but it's kinda expensive... I would prefer to be able to buy games instead :P

I bought Kenshi specifically because they had a DRM free version available, and now they never update it.

You can do that with steam, even if you couldnt kenshi doesnt use steam DRM(you'd be surprised how many games don't) so you can just download using steam then copy it over no problem. But, it's really just the experimental version. Its been 4 days since the experimental version released and since then they've released 8 hotfixes, and the game still crashes quite often. Quite frankly if you have no stable internet just to install a hotfix you have no business on this experimental version, it's a fun mess but it's a mess and half the fun is reporting bugs.

If you really want it, really don't want to use steam and assure me you actually bought the game i can help you get the latest version, its twice the size of the old versions though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:32:10 am by Mattk50 »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2016, 05:38:00 am »

Think you guys think Kenshi is worth buying? I was thinking of this or Subnautica, but Kenshi looks a lot more my type.

I like Skyrim, though kinda done with it. Currently playing Fallout 4 that I like a lot. Also like witcher 3 a lot. Big into open world (singleplayer) games. I love RUST too, but don't like restarting over and over with dumb server resets.

I mostly like building up a base, and like hunting/camping kinda play throughs of being nomadic. And to be honest, I never finish main quest of any game lol (except the rare times I play linear games and did finish the fallout 4 one), I just like to play all the side stuff and explore. Dunno if Kenshi allows that (I know you can build a city, but dunno if you can do camping or not).

I'd say yeah. Development is active, and the game is a blast to play even on the old 'alpha' version. There's no big main story or quests, so you need to invent your own tasks and direction. It's a bit like DF Adventure Mode in that sense, you make your own story and your stories evolve from the trials and tribulations of your characters.

Some people don't enjoy that lack of guidance, but it sounds like it wouldn't bother you. Building a settlement isn't necessary, just another choice. You can have one character, or a squad of characters, or multiple squads-- whatever suits your playstyle. Exploring/travelling is a huge part of the game, especially playing nomadic characters. Camping and hunting is a thing in the latest (experimental) branch with the new world map. It definitely feels like a survival game, although without the whole 'crafting tools' shtick. Crafting definitely exists, but in the beginning you basically either loot, steal, or buy what you need. Crafting comes later, either as a means to outfit your group with better gear, or grow food, or create materials to trade with cities.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #410 on: April 13, 2016, 07:46:49 am »

Some people don't enjoy that lack of guidance-
Too right! Some people don't like being told what to do. This game seems like a blast.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2016, 05:53:16 am »

The latest patch has fixed the old bug that was stopping the game from running on dual-core CPUs. I can play the new Kenshi! Been having a blast, although there are still loads of bugs and crashes but reporting them should see them fixed sooner or later. Really loving to hate the new racist holy empire.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2016, 04:32:18 pm »

I'd love to give my thoughts on the game but it seems that whenever the download completes, the next update is already out and it starts downloading again.  :P

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »

It's ok, the latest experimentals have been extremely unstable. Recently I've been getting a ton of crashes. I currently stopped playing because something I can't figure out is causing my game to crash every 5 minutes or so. It's real fun when it works though.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:46 am »

Has the settlement side of the game been developed/progressed at all?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 20, 2016, 01:18:59 am »

Has the settlement side of the game been developed/progressed at all?

Need more context- what was the last state of progress you've seen?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 20, 2016, 01:23:51 am »

I played the last stable version with the previous map. I've downloaded the new experimental but haven't had time to play.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 20, 2016, 06:57:32 am »

I suggest that you verify your game files if you have a crash. Seems this game is extremely prone to file corruption. After crashing a few times in a row the game got to crashing every 2-3 minutes, it was unplayable. I went and verified the files and steam found 122 of them needed to be reacquired... 122! After that things have been stable.

The pathfinding is garbage though, you'll have to babysit your travelers.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 20, 2016, 12:05:22 pm »

there was one extremely crashy version for me but other than that it's been pretty stable. Having lots of fun with the new world and stuff. the fog is a nice home.

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 09, 2016, 07:22:13 am »

I've just gotten into this game, and I found it to be ridiculously good. It's a weird mixup between TES series open world a la Morrowind, a bit of crazy faction setting in a strange post apocalyptic kind of world in the way of Fallout, and then some base building in a Rimworldish style. It's glorious in its own way, and I'm so glad I tried it out.

No crashes for me, except every time I close the game, which obviously doesn't affect gameplay. There are bugs like you would expect in an alpha build, but overall very playable.

I went straight for building a base, and have explored really little in the world. To get started I had to steal pretty much everything I needed... the first few hours saw my characters constantly being chased out of cities with bounties on their head. The breakthrough was making bread though, providing my group with a steady income and allowing my base to transition from a thieves hideout to a respectable trading town. Right now I've progressed to exporting alcohol, with almost all of the raw material production automated and powered by wind energy, a dedicated weapon smith and an armorer. The current stage is setting up a squad of dedicated soldiers to explore the world and retrieve advanced science books.

I have an itch though to play a trader in another game, or a wandering band of stealth outlaws. The replayability seems to be insanely high, and can only get better as the development of the game progresses. Also, I haven't looked into modding yet, but I'm quite sure once it leaves alpha stage there will be a solid potential for mods.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68