Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178934 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:09 pm »

So... Here I am looking at the mod tools... It makes me want to make an overhaul on the factions and patrols.  Not sure what theme I want to hit though.  Any suggestions?

EDIT: Well, I'm more akin to some sort of city state model at this point....

So yea, there are only a few armour type/models available right now.

Ninja (Sand Ninjas)
Bandit
Western(?) (Dead Cat)
Roman (Holy Nation)
Samurai (United Cities)
Police (Police)
Mercenary/Misc ... There are a few other armor types I reckon.

Out of that, 13 towns total and 4 functional outposts. (I'll leave the fisher village alone...)

2 Ninja Factions
3 Bandit Factions
2 Samurai Factions
2 Roman Factions
2 Western Factions
2 Misc Factions
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:47:55 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2014, 09:04:56 pm »

-edit- Oh, I would also point out that there are easier starts than the standard. Check out the other starts if you don't like starting as one lone wimpy guy.
I always pick the one with the legendary sword... dont ask me.. funny to see a peasant getting OWNED with a crazy ass sword in his hamd.... good thing ennemy dont loot when they see better weapon.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2014, 11:14:16 pm »

I won a key for this untold eons ago in some contest.  Should I bother setting it up?
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2014, 11:16:15 pm »

That depends on what you want in a game.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:28 am »

Bay 12 people are at least vaguely like-minded, I guess I was just asking if you guys think its a waste of time or not.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2014, 12:55:09 am »

It's very unfinished in its current state. Like, very unfinished.

If you don't like buggy, incomplete, and crashy* games with little to no mid-to-end-game then you should probably wait. I can't remember if they added sound recently or they just announced that it's getting sound Soon™, but last time I played it was dead silent. No music, no sound effects. It updates slower than other indie games, too.

If none of that's an issue, then go for it.

Personally, I bought it when it went on sale, and only played it for a few hours. Right now I'm just sitting on it until it gets some content and updates. I expect the next Duke Nukem game to be out before Kenshi's in a state I'll play it in, and I've spent countless hours playing other betas, alphas, and prereleases. I'm usually pretty tolerant of games like this, but Kenshi is very... Hollow, I guess is a good word, and maybe even raw. Lots of potential, and I look forward to its final release, but it's a long way from that point right now. Maybe years, judging from how slowly the developer works on it.

Naturally, your mileage may vary. I think ConscriptFive described how most people will feel about Kenshi.

*Personally only had one or two crashes in the few hours I played it, but y'know. It's alpha.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2014, 06:02:31 am »

I ran out of people to recuit and throw my money at :/

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2014, 06:06:42 am »

Well there is music and sound for sure, there could be more tho. As for the game, you can sink 10-20 maybe even more hour in depending on what goal you set yourself, but as for myself i already sank more than 20 hour in and i still havent complete my goal :)

So in my humble opinion its worth setting it up and play for a while as long you keep in mind its not a complete product and might take a while before it is. Good time waster tho :).
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2014, 07:32:08 am »

I ran out of people to recuit and throw my money at :/
I believe you can import the game into a new map, bringing along your people, research and maybe buildings too.

Note on the modding side... Seems odd, how the ID numbers work.  Seems prone to great screwiness if put with another mod adding new content... Not sure yet though.  Will have to put what I done so far to a test later.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:28:43 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:53 am »

ptw

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2014, 08:29:28 am »

Forgot to add this in my previous post:
Yea, there is music and sound.  And yes, I do get quite a number of crashes... sometimes long stretches without and sometimes within 10 minutes of loading.  I should figure out how to start reporting them, since it does the convenient thing of putting the crash report in a zip file.

Also... I've successfully increased the number of bandits/ninjas/cannibals/caravans per party for my current game.  Huzzah!  More mass battles / out numbered fights to watch.
Though, I did not increase the size of parties for the 3 main city holders.  Maybe bandits will win once in a blue moon now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:59:57 pm by Zangi »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:54 pm »

Eh... there is an option to increase squad size... sadly i tought it would be MY squad size limit... the shock when i saw 30+ dust bandit running after my poor little guy....

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »

You just posted right when I edited...  so I cut and paste it out.

Alright, I uploaded 2 mods... One of em Gender Equality+Bounties and the other More Mooks+Caravans
http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6043

Eh... there is an option to increase squad size... sadly i tought it would be MY squad size limit... the shock when i saw 30+ dust bandit running after my poor little guy....
Yea, there is that, but it changes squad sizes for everyone.   
I made a mod that only increases the bandit/enemy types and the caravan types.  Not the Empire/Dead Cat/United City troops.  Mostly so maybe those guys can be overrun more often and to promote traders wandering around.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2014, 07:56:31 pm »

So when this thread was started three years ago...

I finally gave it a fling when Steam had a sale on it a few weeks ago.  Guess which one it was?

For a game which has such a cult following, I was shockingly underwhelmed by it.  Yes, I know it's an Alpha, but the gameplay, gameworld, and engine just didn't show any potential to me.  Maybe the mid to late game is more interesting once you can afford to build a base, but I didn't find it worth my time to play that far.

First off, combat is straight RTS-like in a bad way.  Right click on the enemy, and watch them slug it out.  The only kinda real choice is what weapon to use, blunt vs. cutting and offensive vs. defensive emphasis.  Blunt has the advantage of causing stamina damage so you can take them prisoner.  (Although currently there is no incentive to take prisoners.)

Second, as advertised, the PC is a weak nobody.  As is, there is no campaign, plot, or even quests in the alpha.  Beyond character creation, there is no way to train skills beyond exercising them.  So grind, grind, grind... in the aforementioned boring RTS-like combat.  Oh yeah, as advertised, the world doesn't scale to your level.  Which would be fine, except your spawn point is random, and there's no labelled easy or hard zones.  So the only really valid starting strategy is to kite hostiles back towards town guards and maybe you'll get a few hits in while they have all the fun fighting bad guys.  Then go loot the corpses they leave behind and sell it to the town.  No really, as is, that's how you play your first few hours of Kenshi.

Really, this is a game with a cult following that has been in development for how many years now?  I might check back in another six months or so, but right now I can't possibly advise somebody to spend money on this Alpha.
I feel like some of your criticisms are a little misplaced, so im going to go through them.

Combat in kenshi is supposed to be RTS-like, the focus being on preparing correctly/surviving to that point at all. This is a game where the intention is that large battles of many people on your side take place, if combat required some form of additional micromanagement it would probably break that entirely. You can already get up to 20 people in your squad, with all of them in a fight some sort of more involved combat system would be hell with current group sizes. Think of it like dwarf mode combat if that makes it better.

There are two training implements already in game: specifically training dummies that you can use to get to around 15 attack skill, and lockpicking training so you can escape easier. These are somewhat poor for real skill gain especially when unupgraded, however, and are mainly intended for mass training of your newbie members later. I think its a major selling point that your character needs to actually use a skill to get better at it.

The completely broken "lead bandits back to town" thing is because basic missions and jobs/other things to do to make money aren't implemented yet to fill in the early game (on non-building starts). One thing you could do to entirely avoid that is trade. But, yeah, it is broken.

The PC is supposed to be "just another character" the game's ultimate intention is for all characters to be interesting. Thats why, if right out of the gate you hire a 2nd guy, and then in a fight your starting character dies, you can just keep playing with the 2nd guy. The feeling of powerlessness is a cool aspect but when coupled with the bandit luring thing (which atm is intentionally crap because otherwise there'd be no early way to make money. As of a few patches ago a "retreating" behavior has been implemented) its pretty boring.

I think you were playing mainly with one character, which may explain why you got such a poor impression. Some of the other starts give you up to like 10 (iirc?) characters at the getgo, so maybe try one of those if you want to give it another chance. or just wait for improvements like most should. As said before, you gotta really be a fan of the main ideas of the game to get behind it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2014, 10:43:59 am »

Blargh... failure on changing city hands with the mod.   Made a Slaver faction, where they would go and kidnap people on their own, same as Cannibals.  Minus the eating and the assaulting base.  There seems to be missing options in the mod tool to signal a retreat.  Kinda moot to use em since they can't get up

And well, as for how my mod is shaping up... 
Large crew of 20-ish Dust Bandits, they be rolling over my people.  Samurai still rolls over those Dust Bandits.
Starving Bandits, their numbers may still not be enough... when comparing em to the Dust Bandits.  They do feed the Cannibals most excellently though.   I sent some poor sods to 'visit' both the cannibal bases.  At one of em, watched a huge battle between Cannibals, Starving Bandits and the Dust Bandits.  It was a one way slaughter, since it was close to the Cannibal base, so the Cannibals came out in force, outnumbering the Starving Bandits.  As a result, when I looked away to defend myself elsewhere.  My guy was cooked.  (I wanted to watch that happen.)
Sand Ninjas, they may have problems facing the Dust Bandits.
Drifters, well, maybe they need to be buffed just a little bit more.  They get rolled by the large numbers of bandits/anything else.  The Caravan crews may be ok, I seen one wander past me between Clownsteady and Brink...  maybe I should actually have some people follow em around and see whats up.

Right now... it seems that Samurai troops are definitely better then the Dead Cat troops.

Did you know, NPC/enemies get stronger and more skilled the more fights they survive.  So if you kept a starving bandit around and kept healing the bugger each time you knock em down, they skill up and get tougher.  (But, they still get up to only be knocked down again, cause of their still low body part health when they do get up.)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68