Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178943 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2014, 11:22:36 am »

So I'm finding the game to be taking alot of my time...shame the player is limited to 22? squad members, there is only room for 20 on the portrait bar at the bottom. Overall the game runs great though but with the occasional lag spike when loading or placing a building.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:11 pm »

So I'm finding the game to be taking alot of my time...shame the player is limited to 22? squad members, there is only room for 20 on the portrait bar at the bottom. Overall the game runs great though but with the occasional lag spike when loading or placing a building.
The thing with the Squads is you are able to make multiple ones instead of having a giant one.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »

Maybe I missed it...but how do you do that? or is it not in the game yet?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »

Why would this game have turrets? Why wouldn't it just have buildings with places where archer-guards can stand?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:14 pm »

Maybe I missed it...but how do you do that? or is it not in the game yet?

That's not implemented yet, maybe in a couple of patches from now according to his roadmap.

Why would this game have turrets? Why wouldn't it just have buildings with places where archer-guards can stand?

I'd be alright with large guns that can't move and can destroy a squad of those damnable cannibals instantly.  In fact, I'd totally be up for that, where can I sign up?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2014, 02:31:57 pm »

Because its suppose to be a steampunkish game and ballaste towers sounds cooler than acrher tower.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »

Oh I thought it looked very middle ages feudal asian desert etc. I guess I need to read moar.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »

Oh I thought it looked very middle ages feudal asian desert etc. I guess I need to read moar.

I was thinking more like an apocalypse happened and things got reverted back a bit with a bit of technology mixed in, you're just as confused as I am at the steampunk bit.

Did he say specifically steampunk somewhere on the description/website?  I'm so confused.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »

FAQ
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is no mention of 'steam' or 'punk' on the FAQ or Roadmap.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2014, 05:38:20 pm »

Is this worth playing yet? I bought it in a bundle a good while ago, but I haven't tried it out since purchase.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »

It is interesting to play right now..but at the same time there is quite bit of things that makes it apparent that it is alpha. Factions as a whole don't really do much but squads seem to work fine.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2014, 10:02:29 am »

Looks like a patch is possibly inbound for tomorrow per Chris.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2014, 10:54:27 am »

So when this thread was started three years ago...

Depending on just how well this is done, I can see it being absolutely amazing or mind-numbingly tedious.

I finally gave it a fling when Steam had a sale on it a few weeks ago.  Guess which one it was?

For a game which has such a cult following, I was shockingly underwhelmed by it.  Yes, I know it's an Alpha, but the gameplay, gameworld, and engine just didn't show any potential to me.  Maybe the mid to late game is more interesting once you can afford to build a base, but I didn't find it worth my time to play that far.

First off, combat is straight RTS-like in a bad way.  Right click on the enemy, and watch them slug it out.  The only kinda real choice is what weapon to use, blunt vs. cutting and offensive vs. defensive emphasis.  Blunt has the advantage of causing stamina damage so you can take them prisoner.  (Although currently there is no incentive to take prisoners.)

Second, as advertised, the PC is a weak nobody.  As is, there is no campaign, plot, or even quests in the alpha.  Beyond character creation, there is no way to train skills beyond exercising them.  So grind, grind, grind... in the aforementioned boring RTS-like combat.  Oh yeah, as advertised, the world doesn't scale to your level.  Which would be fine, except your spawn point is random, and there's no labelled easy or hard zones.  So the only really valid starting strategy is to kite hostiles back towards town guards and maybe you'll get a few hits in while they have all the fun fighting bad guys.  Then go loot the corpses they leave behind and sell it to the town.  No really, as is, that's how you play your first few hours of Kenshi.

Really, this is a game with a cult following that has been in development for how many years now?  I might check back in another six months or so, but right now I can't possibly advise somebody to spend money on this Alpha.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:16:14 am by ConscriptFive »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:33 am »

You can capture bandit leaders and turn them in to police chief for boku cats. As for the grind, i found a town in the north that a is a huge crossway for bandits, easy pickings to skill up your characters and make fat loot.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2014, 11:39:47 am »

You can also recruit other crappy characters for 700 (or better ones for more). So early on you can get some buddies to help you fight. I actually did some trade from the town I started at to the neighboring one (got lucky and bought stuff for 80% and sold it for ~116%) then recruited people in the bar there. My little ragtag band managed to take down a sand nina jounin early on and turn in his 5000 credit bounty plus the stuff on him. Then I ran around recruiting a bunch of people. When you have 10 guys you can take on bandits much more easily than trying to fight groups of them by yourself.

Sure, the game isn't finished and the combat is a bit RTS-ey. But the game isn't really meant to be a solo RPG, it's more of an RTS RPG hybrid. You recruit guys and have your own faction and stuff. I just had my little squad build a base and after a bit of research was making my own weapons and armor. Now my ten guys are set up with matching outfits and decent swords and I've started making little raids on the cannibal bases. It's funny, I'm getting more loot from their victims than them.

It's not a complete game experience yet but it's fun enough. I definitely see potential.

-edit- Oh, I would also point out that there are easier starts than the standard. Check out the other starts if you don't like starting as one lone wimpy guy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:15:06 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68