Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178735 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #960 on: January 25, 2024, 10:57:32 pm »

So, I've found a mod that does something that I believe to be truly unique: It creates a NEW WORLD.

While it DOES include new factions and town, that is not extraordinary. Someone actually edited the game's terrain!

...it's a bit complex to install, and the whole thing is in Chinese.  I've started on an English translation mod, but it's dull work, so it's incomplete.

The map itself
The mod
My limited English translation.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #961 on: January 25, 2024, 11:07:16 pm »

Best of luck and endurance in the translation effort. Hopefully it inspires a non-chinese mod author to make another map as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 28, 2024, 08:17:52 pm »

I'm posted about this mod in the Kenshi Discord. Think I'll pass on the Genesis Mod Discord, since they're Genesis freaks over there.

I would say my translation is about 50% complete. The armors need to be translated, and since Kenshi's #1 feature is Dress Up Simulator, it's a major piece missing. Most of remaining day-to-day stuff that a player would need has been translated.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 30, 2024, 04:59:07 pm »

Is anyone else just sat waiting on Kenshi 2?

I love Kenshi, but at this point the engine's problems are too much for me to overlook now. It's irritating having to wait for the game to load every time I move a bit too far, especially as the game's not exactly computationally/graphically extreme enough to justify it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 30, 2024, 07:59:25 pm »

I figure Kenshi 2 is several years away from even an early access version. But yeah, I get the sentiment.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 31, 2024, 04:54:52 am »

Is anyone else just sat waiting on Kenshi 2?

I love Kenshi, but at this point the engine's problems are too much for me to overlook now. It's irritating having to wait for the game to load every time I move a bit too far, especially as the game's not exactly computationally/graphically extreme enough to justify it.

Iirc there is a "mod" for Stalker anomaly, that prefetched all/some (?) assets in the ram in order to improve performance. It needed quite a lot of ram (16+ GB) on top of the regular requirements but I wonder if something like that would be useful in Kenshi.

Also genuine question, what is your graphic card? I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but I 'd like to know how powerful one's gpu can be and still have issues with this game.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:24:11 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 31, 2024, 07:29:20 am »

Old one was a 760, haven't played it since I upgraded last month. Should probably give it a try and see if that's any better or if it's the engine that's been the limiting factor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 31, 2024, 06:51:31 pm »

Old one was a 760, haven't played it since I upgraded last month. Should probably give it a try and see if that's any better or if it's the engine that's been the limiting factor.
I have found that my new computer has run Kenshi faster.  I mean, yes, there are still needless load times, but they're measured in seconds instead of minutes.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 01, 2024, 12:49:34 am »

I noticed that the game was on sale, so decided to finally pick it up. I assume that my experiences are fairly typical - mining chunks of iron and copper, stripping the dead from any fights between factions for equipment to equip and/or sell.

Finally got up to 3,000 credits, netting me a second character. Just for fun, I decided to lure a guard from a bandit camp that’s near the outpost I’m operating from. I figured - “hey, two on one; how bad can this be?”

Bad. The answer is bad. It turns out that two dudes who barely know which end of the sword is supposed to be pointing at the enemy aren’t able to even scratch a competent opponent before he slashes them both to death.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 12:52:01 am by AlStar »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 01, 2024, 01:32:27 am »

I did that too for my first game. It takes ages to build up from copper mining though, since food eats up a lot of the money from that. I spent far too long at one of the patches outside the hub for the first game since I didn't know how far I'd make it without some food.

Eventually you might want to start your own outpost, but don't do it too early. Usually some local bandit faction will harass you with raids. There might be a place you can settle without them but I don't know where those places are. You'll have some warning to run your characters away but it can be kind of annoying so if you can avoid putting down a settlement while you are in the early mining that will prevent non-wandering attacks.

There are ways to get cats that feel cheesy but are easy. I won't mention those unless you'd prefer. Once you figure out the mechanics a fun start is a slave in the Holy Empire. It sounds bad but it's actually supper easy to level up stats that way; you can even just afk them as the slave routine is automated and earns you normal xp for the jobs and running it has you do. If you load up with ore rocks for strength training it goes up by itself. It's also easy lockpicking xp from the cages and shackles, which is no problem once you get a bit of stealth skill from breaking the slave routine and sneaking near guards who will eventually notice and attack you. Attacking or fighting back against the guards (such as training the knockout "assassination" skill) isn't a death sentence, just an ass whoopin' (maybe with severing limbs on higher probabilities in game settings) followed by the guards placing the unconcious character back into bed to heal up with no other punishments. You can slowly train some dodge and fighting skills that way, and also train the Toughness stat that only gains xp from taking damage, which isn't that dangerous when the npc training the skill tucks you into a healing bed afterwards. Once you can knock the guards out, you can take their band-aids to practice first aid, and stash all their gear to carry out when you make your escape as a buff ass convict. Oh, and by unlocking fellow slaves' shackles a handful will rarely join your party for free (they can continue the slave routine just as your character does). Others will refuse and maybe rarely run off but I didn't see them run off in the limited time I spent doing that. That way you can have a small group without leaving the camp, all gaining skills automatically.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 01:34:15 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 01, 2024, 06:19:51 am »

I noticed that the game was on sale, so decided to finally pick it up. I assume that my experiences are fairly typical - mining chunks of iron and copper, stripping the dead from any fights between factions for equipment to equip and/or sell.

Finally got up to 3,000 credits, netting me a second character. Just for fun, I decided to lure a guard from a bandit camp that’s near the outpost I’m operating from. I figured - “hey, two on one; how bad can this be?”

Bad. The answer is bad. It turns out that two dudes who barely know which end of the sword is supposed to be pointing at the enemy aren’t able to even scratch a competent opponent before he slashes them both to death.

There's one thing that is different in Kenshi than in most other games, that I always tell new players off since it's such a departure from gameplay usually goes: normally, if you lose a fight in a game, you lose the game and have to reload. In Kenshi, losing fights is how you get stronger. As long as you live to walk, or crawl, away, this is how your characters gain experience. I think, though I'm not super sure on this last bit, that the bigger the difference between you and your foe in skill, the more experience you gain from fighting them.

The only danger is losing limbs while you are still early game poor (they can replaced once you have money, but it might be hard to come by in the beginning). The Starving Bandits make for excellent foes at the start because of this, since they only or mostly carry blunt weapons and the risk of limb severance is very low.

It might also be a good idea to practice keeping one character out of the fight, so that they can run up afterwards and bandage up the people who got their butt's kicked.

But in the end, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 01, 2024, 07:21:56 am »

It might also be a good idea to practice keeping one character out of the fight, so that they can run up afterwards and bandage up the people who got their butt's kicked.

This has always been the way to play the game. I played Kenshi before the map was overhauled, and back then it was true too. It was the core loop I enjoyed and got me into the game in the first place. Local barfly medic and his anime protagonist friend take on the world, one viscous beatdown at a time.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 01, 2024, 10:29:38 am »

And be careful with hivers, they lose their limbs with alarming alacrity. On the other hand, if you want to make them cybernetic...

There's also a machine you can find the blueprints for which I gather is good for that too, so long as you're careful. I never got there myself.

I wish there was a Rimworld-style ability to surgically graft them on instead of having to hope that this time the guy's limbs will come off, and the right ones at that.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 01, 2024, 11:19:01 am »

I'm playing as Palpatine, but I'm probably remake to just a normal hobo since I prefer that in Kenshi. I got a bunch of star wars mods and conversions. Mostly its still Kenshi and all...BUT STAR WARS. Actually pretty fitting really.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 01, 2024, 11:37:09 am »

Personally, I used to use a mod that allowed multiple people to attack the same target at the same time instead of the vanilla 1v1. Something like 2v1 (or 3v1) doesn't brake the game's balance* and it makes more sense with all those sweeping attacks that attack everyone they connect with.

*A strong opponent with decent equipment will still be able to kill a bunch of rookies but they won't leave the fight unscathed.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 68