Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178860 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #645 on: January 20, 2019, 03:02:27 pm »

So I remember hearing that new characters should hit training dummies in police stations to train up some basic fighting ability before trying to take on even the weakest bandits.

Dunno if that got changed in a patch along the way or if there was something in that very simple piece of advice that I missed, but I am now in jail - first for using a training dummy, then somehow managing to attack the guard coming to arrest me at the exact moment I attempted to stop training by right-clicking somewhere else. I'm pretty sure they nearly severed my leg.

Also: the loading times in this game are godawful. I think this is the first time in years I've seen progress bars actually decrease.

That's because those dummies were private property and using them was a crime. Unless it was changed, there are public dummies in some cities (Holy Nation/ Shek iirc) which could be used by the player or you can use the private ones at night if you are good at sneaking.

For the loading times/performance in general, you can try these mods: Less foliage and Texture options. Using a lower resolution and the less foliage mod was enough for my pc to get a decent perfomance.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 20, 2019, 04:22:58 pm »

Dunno how, but when I got to Squin on this most recent game the entire town appears to be deserted. No shops manned, no guards at the gate, no civilians wandering about.

While this means that I can take whatever's not nailed down if I so choose, it also means I can't sell loot or buy food. Can't recruit anyone either. Reloading the save file did not help.

Yeah, that happened to me one time before, just import your save file.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:27 pm »

found a solid place to build; theres this spot along a cliff face on the road between the hub and squin.
easy access to a 100 iron node and a 60ish copper node.
lots of 100 fertility land thats 100/10 arid/green so you can grow lots of cactus, wheat and hemp.
60 water quality, not a big deal, just make more wells.

its on the border zone, so you'll have to deal with dust bandits and band of bones plus the shek kingdom will shake you down for food. its a struggle at first but with a few good medics and focusing on research, you can get to t2 walls and crossbow turrets and you'll be solid.

also, is it me or are turrets op? i have my gate flanked with walls set on a v shape so the enemy is funneled into a killzone in front of my gate. 6 regular crossbow turrets rip apart any group before they get through my gate.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:04:01 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:47 am »

Has anyone used catalogue.smods.ru for kenshi (or for any other game ) mods? Is it safe in general? I have the GOG version which means access to mods is a bit limited since most of them are made for the Steam Workshop  :-\.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 22, 2019, 04:25:22 pm »

Has anyone used catalogue.smods.ru for kenshi (or for any other game ) mods? Is it safe in general? I have the GOG version which means access to mods is a bit limited since most of them are made for the Steam Workshop  :-\.

I've used it for Stellaris. Not had a problem but I also tend to safeguard myself by investigating any compressed files with 7zip.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 23, 2019, 08:39:03 am »

Thank you

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 23, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »

I love Tech Hunters. They've saved my bacon more than once. They come to your base to shop and defend it while hanging around there as well. They just saved me from Black Dragon Ninjas who smacked the snot out of all my guys. Wish there was something like the hospitality mod in Rimworld where you could host an actual inn.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 23, 2019, 10:13:27 pm »

Damn self-xenophobic Hive, wouldn't sell poor Beep a new arm!

I got back into Kenshi after a long time. Game's pretty darn good. I'm cheesed my way into base building by egg-stealing and hiring mercenaries, now finally producing some swords and soon armor for my horrid clan.
Hired mercenaries to get rid of a clan of raiders that kept bothering me. I had double their number and still struggled. Then I saved 5 slaves from a mine and am now considered a Terrorist, just because I did it in broad daylight in front of everyone..
I have no idea how Beep managed to lose two limbs when I wasn't looking. Guess he'll become my mechanoid experiment over time.
My noob mounted crossbow operators managed to miss and instantly do +100 of chest damage of friendly fire on 3 of my soldiers during the same assault. It was inevitable.

So much goodness. So little time.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 24, 2019, 01:38:32 pm »

ive been playing this too damn much over the course of this week.

we're up to 2.8 million cats, 114 members including 8 pack animals, everyone not a "hero" is equipped with leather armor, samurai clothpants, martial arts bindings, wooden sandals and a catan no1 longsword.
our farms have our food overflowing, when the shek kingdom comes for tribute they don't even make it to another barrel; they get the scraps out of 3 animal feeder troughs at the front.
our t4 gate is flanked by 8 mk2 crossbow turrets. i close the gate and man the turrets and nothing can threaten us, limbs get shot off and they die in a heap trying to bang the gate down.

and this all started with one guy mining copper cuz he only had a rusty sword and pants. we need some real endgame threats tho. band of bones and dust bandits ain't nothing, even without my gate.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 24, 2019, 02:46:32 pm »

I'm curious as to how the game can even handle that many people. My copy chugs just trying to load Hub when I've been hanging out in the next city over for a while.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 24, 2019, 03:06:34 pm »

we're up to 2.8 million cats

catsplosion!
Love, scriver~

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 24, 2019, 03:31:57 pm »

and this all started with one guy mining copper cuz he only had a rusty sword and pants. we need some real endgame threats tho. band of bones and dust bandits ain't nothing, even without my gate.

If you want endgame threats, try settling in the southeast. Area around the hub is the starting area, and the enemies reflect it. In the southeast, every threat is pretty high level, and they'll fuck your day up. Settling in the north is fun too, because you have to fight massive amounts of cannibals. But cannibals are pretty easy if you've got a few decently leveled guys with good armour, so definitely try out the southeast.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 24, 2019, 03:49:32 pm »

Plus you can start waging war on major factions. Joining anti-slavers is fun for this end, since all the big boys are pro-slavery.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 24, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »

If you want endgame threats, try settling in the southeast. Area around the hub is the starting area, and the enemies reflect it. In the southeast, every threat is pretty high level, and they'll fuck your day up. Settling in the north is fun too, because you have to fight massive amounts of cannibals. But cannibals are pretty easy if you've got a few decently leveled guys with good armour, so definitely try out the southeast.

this wins. after i get the new recruits in uniform, i'll load the pack animals up with basic building supplies (iron plates and building materials) and food. then load up everyone with as much food as they can. i have a chest of backpacks i had equipped on everyone when we were still a migrant horde. then ill export a save without buildings and find a new home.

thats how i start btw. i set a camp up just outside of the hub. i start with cheap recruits, the ones who need 2000 or 3000. we gather up at this camp, everyone mining the nearby copper nodes. after we get a few guys and some cash, i buy membership with the ninja thieves so i can hit them up when injured and cuz they're everywhere. we continue along this path for a while, until i can get a few recruits with cheap traders backpacks filled with food. thats when we start migrating. we hit up all territories, mining copper outside of each major town (if its there), otherwise we follow patrols and quickly kidnap any bandits who have bounties on their heads and bring them to the nearest town. money is only used for food/recruits at this stage until i get a full squad. thats when our money goes towards food/building mats. after we get a few backpacks full, we begin hunting for a home.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:13 pm »

I've had an odd issue that I'm unsure is a bug or what.

See, I finally managed to get something resembling a decent start. Recruited a couple of freebie dudes, bought a ruined house in that Shek town south of Hub, patched it up, built a research table and got copper storage, built that. Then I set one of the new dudes to mine the nearest copper node and cart it back to storage.
This is where the weirdness set in. When I tried to get a different character to unload the storage bin so I could sell the ore, it vanished from her inventory before I could get her to the nearest merchant. Examination of the storage bin and subsequent experiments revealed that if I left her idle for even an instant she would simply put the ore in her inventory back into the storage bin. If I moved her away from the bin, she'd turn around and try to run back. I eventually got her to the store but I had to leave the entire transaction on pause to keep her from running back out again.

So what's going on here? She has no jobs related to storage of ore. No jobs at all, in fact. Why are my characters so damn determined to store all copper, even the stuff I just had them remove from storage?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 68