Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178885 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #555 on: October 07, 2018, 06:28:33 am »

Just had a great moment.

I'd founded a small base between the Hub and Squin, one way in, one side a steep set of impassible bluffs.

Pretty much as soon as you put down a structure which qualifies as a town, the game starts sending groups of bandit and bandit events your way. I'd fought a couple groups of dust and starving bandits with my small band of 6, and hadn't done too great. Got wrecked during an actual dust bandit event, because I was very outnumbered. Most of my guys have stats in the low teens and average gear.

So when I saw a group of near 20 Black Dragon Ninjas approach the base, I knew I was pretty much completely boned and would end up as bait for the slavemongers.

Luckily they got stuck in a crevasse bordering my base and that gave me some time to organize and think.

And then it happened. "Beast Trader visiting your town."

I let them head toward my base, and closed the entrance door to bring them to a halt. Then I saved and reloaded my game. This always seems to break loose the AI when it gets itself stuck.

I opened the doors and let the Black Dragons and the Nomads in to the base at the same time. Both started spewing their lines to me (The Black Dragon speech was actually kinda funny, grousing about this lady boss.) Then the two went at it. I kept all my guys in a group and tried to focus fire down single Black Dragons at a time. A few of my people went down, particularly my healer which really hamstrung me. But the Nomads kicked the shit out of the Black Dragons Ninjas. As soon as they broke I spotted the leader and sent all my guys after him. Unfortunately, I blinked and he literally disappeared from the battlefield. Either that or he was under some terrain and I just never saw him. Pretty cool all around, there's no way I could have stopped them but for the Beast Traders, who were kind enough to leave some dead pack animals behind for some much needed food for my people.

I kinda like the death system in this game. It has a very Kung Fu movie quality to it, where you can get your ass kicked over and over and as long as you can barely pull yourself out of it, you come back better and more experienced. And when guys have laid there for too long, the slavemongers come around like carrion and eventually clean up the area. I can see why Stealth Kill has been disabled, and there's more emphasis on dumping bodies or imprisoning or whatever. There's a whole ecosystem at work in the game that you get to benefit from because you don't just immediately die. Losing is in some ways necessary to grow. For someone like me who tends to savescum when things don't go their way, it's kind of refreshing to lose and keep playing. At first I was annoyed that I was constantly getting attacked by groups I couldn't beat, but now I'm starting to get how it all works. As long as there's someone healthy enough to start patching people up (for the most part), you can come back from just about anything.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 07, 2018, 08:20:04 am »

Yeah, I pretty much agree.

I've been doing Cannibal starts in the hope of making it through it and starting from there (eventually getting my revenge) but I can't seem to get a good enough opportunity to escape before the eat my guys.

...I wonder what happens if I make all of them skelebots. I'm gonna try that now.
Love, scriver~

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #557 on: October 07, 2018, 08:48:07 am »

So...I played Kenshi a bit.

After a couple week playing that game on and off, it is now repetitive and I feel like theres no endgame. I guess I could attack cities now...but for what ? I have everything I need in my base, I could just buy most of the cities with my cash alone. Holy Nation insists on being dicks but they are the absolute least compelling villains in fiction. They look like how a third waver would describe the american far right, which annoys me more than it should. The other slavers are under the umbrella of the united cities, who are people I want to keep alive. Shreks are ok. Hivers are ridiculously harmless. Skelebots want to be left alone.

And now I have no idea what to do. Litterally no faction in Kenshi seem to be worth going against, so I'm left with massive income and a squad of musashis and none to do with them. So...
Yeah. When I'm done clearing the shrieking forest I don't know what I'll do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 07, 2018, 09:22:03 am »

I've been doing Cannibal starts in the hope of making it through it and starting from there (eventually getting my revenge) but I can't seem to get a good enough opportunity to escape before the eat my guys.

I say this and of course immediately after I get a start where I'm able to escape uneaten. Granted, this was because a herd of Beak Things wandered into the village and killed every single thing they could get to. Now I just have to manoeuvre my guys out of there without becoming a target for the one remaining Beak Thing myself. Luckily there seems to be food in the nuts. We shudder to think where the best might be from, but we might not have much choice if we are to survive.

The Skelebot game ended jokingly by the way. They don't put you in their larder-cages, they just leave them lying on the ground, but they do beat them up again every time you wake up. I managed to get one robot away from the camp and out there every other cannibal ignores you.
Love, scriver~

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #559 on: October 07, 2018, 09:37:41 am »

You should never fight in Kenshi before your people are properly trained. You can train for free in most police stations. Once you have a 4-5 man fighting squad with 15 attack, you can start fighting hungry bandits and work your way up. Don't attack dust bandits or berserker right away, you'll just lose characters needlessly.

I had some problems with cannibals in my playthrough. Mighty canhead is a pain in the ass when he raids my fort and my main fighting squad is away, because he forces me to man my ballista turrets. But when he does try to attack me when my assault squad is at home, a combinaison of planks and polearms is incredibly satisfying to watch. One of my shek wields a fragment axe, and the sight of five dudes going down and three limbs flying off in a single strike is a sight to behold.

But yeah, early game is a lot of running from danger and scavenging. Don't stand your ground against big groups until you're 25-30 in attack

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 07, 2018, 01:14:09 pm »

So...I played Kenshi a bit.

After a couple week playing that game on and off, it is now repetitive and I feel like theres no endgame. I guess I could attack cities now...but for what ? I have everything I need in my base, I could just buy most of the cities with my cash alone. Holy Nation insists on being dicks but they are the absolute least compelling villains in fiction. They look like how a third waver would describe the american far right, which annoys me more than it should. The other slavers are under the umbrella of the united cities, who are people I want to keep alive. Shreks are ok. Hivers are ridiculously harmless. Skelebots want to be left alone.

And now I have no idea what to do. Litterally no faction in Kenshi seem to be worth going against, so I'm left with massive income and a squad of musashis and none to do with them. So...
Yeah. When I'm done clearing the shrieking forest I don't know what I'll do.

There's more to the Holy Nation then that, if you start getting into some of the lore. But honestly, the real endgame stuff is in the southeast part of the map. I'm not gonna give any spoilers, but that's where the real high-level enemies live, and there's a lot of interesting bandit factions you can go after to take out their bosses. Or just organize an expedition to the Ashlands. There's a lot of lore related stuff there that is only uncovered by you taking down some of the hardest enemies in the game, and surviving one of the hardest (and aesthetically speaking, most interesting) areas in the game.

Although I wouldn't take some of those enemies on unless your guys are at least 60s in their combat stats. The

If you want an easier challenge, you can go up in the cannibal coast and destroy all the cannibal groups. Past that, there's the Leviathan coast, where there's a lot of ancient labs, which are good to send teams to if you haven't maxed out your tech tree yet.

There's also the possibility of starting a new save file, which I've done. I was kinda feeling that way with my main save file, so I started a new one, and I've now sunk a ton of time into it. I've got one save in which I'm doing the whole base-building slave liberation shtick. I've got a bunch of bases on the islands off the east coast, and I'm launching raids on the slave camps to get more recruits. My other file is just two guys, and with them I'm doing the whole exploration, tech hunting thing. They're absolutely loaded now, but I've still got some areas I want to explore more. The Holy Nation hates them though, because I had to get them prosthetic limbs after they were unfortunately destroyed by security spiders. My advice, if you're going exploring, bring a skeleton, because they have a lot to say about some areas, that helps fill in some of the lore of Kenshi. Eventually I figure I'll merge the two save files, and go to all out war with the United Cities. Then I'll probably try to collect every Meitou weapon in the game, most of which are, of course, in the new southeast section.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 07, 2018, 01:55:20 pm »

I though there wasn't anything in the south east?
Love, scriver~

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 07, 2018, 02:50:16 pm »

If you're playing on the experimental branch, the new part is in, and it's great. However, the Anti-Slavers are still a little buggy, so you just have to stay away from Spring. But besides that I haven't had any issues.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 07, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »

Oh, I'll have to try that. Do you think it will bug itself if I try to continue my freshly started game in the experimental branch?
Love, scriver~

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 07, 2018, 04:25:43 pm »

Oh, I'll have to try that. Do you think it will bug itself if I try to continue my freshly started game in the experimental branch?

Nope, the game's good at handling updates. You just need to import your save file using the button on the main menu when you first boot the game up. This will override any world state changes (like the emperor being dead, or the holy nation being destroyed, etc) but if it's a fresh game, you won't have to worry about that.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #565 on: October 09, 2018, 12:39:10 pm »

Without too much spoilers, I really want to say :

Spoiler: Beep (click to show/hide)

and :

Spoiler: Broken ones (click to show/hide)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 09, 2018, 01:52:08 pm »

Without too much spoilers, I really want to say :

Spoiler: Beep (click to show/hide)

and :

Spoiler: Broken ones (click to show/hide)

If you like Beep, you have to find Agnu. The two of them have so much unique dialog when in a squad together, it's amazing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:16:30 pm by Glloyd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:27 pm »

Well I'm up to 8 guys.

And the game seems to have decided to stick it to me, because I got not one, not two but three concurrent bandit raids all on their way to my base. :(

If I import my save, what happens? I know it resets factions and bandit camps and what not. Will I have to start a new character if I do that? Will my base still be there? Will I get to change the pre-game set up values for how often bandit attacks occur? (Because at this point I'd like fewer. Hard to get anything done when your entire squad is crippled for half a day.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 09, 2018, 03:06:08 pm »

If I import my save, what happens? I know it resets factions and bandit camps and what not. Will I have to start a new character if I do that? Will my base still be there? Will I get to change the pre-game set up values for how often bandit attacks occur? (Because at this point I'd like fewer. Hard to get anything done when your entire squad is crippled for half a day.)

to answer your questions: no to new characters, it will retain them and their stats/inventories; yes to bases, it will import the buildings exactly as they are; yes to settings, you get the option of changing some settings like when you start a new game.

think of it like a new game+ option you can take at anytime.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 09, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »

Cool, thanks. I'm going to see what this 20 to 30+ bandit jamboree looks like before I import.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 68