Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178883 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #540 on: July 16, 2018, 03:34:56 pm »

Hmm... I wonder if I can make a skybridge to connect two buildings. I want to have turrets that can fire directly at enemies on the door.
You *can* as evidenced at Okran's Shield. I'm not sure when/if bridges will be a player-buildable feature though.

I find an easier/more practical solution is to simply have a deep U shape approaching the gate.
Even a shallow indentation in the wall to accommodate the gate will result in the adjacent turrets having line of sight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:26 pm »

Think I'm about to take the plunge on this game. After watching Robbaz' freak playthrough, I'm inspired.

Any major gotcha's in this version? I know there were some annoyances in game the last time I read through. Also, any essential mods so it plays better?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 30, 2018, 03:09:14 pm »

Interior Design, Recruit Prisoners, Shidan's tweaks and fixes, and I strongly recommend RoboticsFix (this one implements separate containers for robotics components, which makes the AI actually function correctly when making robotics items, without these separate containers your workers are likely to get stuck in endless hauling loops).

I also endorse Ark Weapons Pack and its support mods AWP squads and AWP Vendors, but it's a good chunk of new content that can make the early game rather more lethal.

I use a few more but those are what I would consider the best.  All are available through the Steam Workshop and interior design, recruit prisoners and Shidan's tweaks are also on the Nexus.  AWP is too.

The above still holds true for my experience with Kenshi.  There are a few 'oh gods why' things in currently (the tower of goats, deadcat, spider factory, and BML), and the game is extremely unforgiving.  Probably the thing that causes me the most tension when starting a new save right now is the slavemonger squads patrolling the area around The Hub.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 30, 2018, 03:17:07 pm »

Appreciate it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 30, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »

Doesn't seem obscenely hard. It actually reminds me very much of early day MMOs. After an hour spent wandering to find some place that was green instead of brown, I got ambushed in a settlement by a pack of raiders, broke a leg, got picked up by a farmer after the attack ended who started carrying me off to somewhere, before being ambushed by a couple of beasties himself. He fought hard but ultimately was brought down. The beast he was fighting bled out, I guess. I crawled to a bed and started the tedious process of healing.

Restarted, found a nearby town, started mining, picked up an NPC, kited a few packs of bandits in to the town guard, scavenged and now I'm well on my way to something.

Pretty cool so far. The atmosphere is growing on me. I like "learn as you do" progression that seems to get pretty detailed with the factors it considers.

Combat is hilariously savage when you're all so weak. Blood trails, hacked off limbs, people crawling around, playing dead, rendered unconscious. Respectable levels of detailed violence. No one is puking their guts out ala DF bu I suppose that's alright.

In a macro sense the environments are pretty empty, but when you sort of get down to the eye level of things they've got a surprising amount of variance and character and topography that makes them feel deeper. Maybe not the desert so much....but all the canyon areas and different biomes got enough going on to get me immersed and looking for the ideal place to build a base.

Seems like it will be quite a grind to get the resources together to start building a little fort.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:41:12 pm by nenjin »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 01, 2018, 12:30:00 am »

Just wait until you start exploring further. The amount of worldbuilding in the newly added section is amazing. The environments there are also some of the best in the game in my opinion. Kenshi's lore has a surprising amount of depth for something lacking anything resembling a story or central narrative.

I never found basebuilding to be too grindy. A good way to go about the process is to buy a building in a town and post up there. Get some research done in the relative safety of the town and build up/train your squad before moving out onto your own.

Don't let me tell you how to play though, the best part of Kenshi is going your own way and figuring out everything on your own.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 01, 2018, 02:42:49 am »

I actually did basebuilding the hard way (completely underleveled and with too few people) with my first save, that game is now over three hundred hours old.  I have what amounts to a city-sized fortress up in the Leviathan Coast, it is completely unassailable.  And assuming something did make it through the gate, I recruited a dozen shek and let them grind against the shek empire until they became combat gods.  I really enjoy this game a lot.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 01, 2018, 11:40:10 am »

Yeah, I'm working on rebuilding a house in Squin or w/e it's called. Having to wait on building materials to restock at vendors is kind of annoying, but at least the money train is secure. Two people mining their butts off on copper can make ~$6k a day, which should be plenty to start outfitting my house with enough stuff to get started.

Despite not being all that wild about alien races and what not, the Shek are pretty bad ass. Glad I ended up starting near them.

Not sure "Recruitable prisoners" is working, according to comments from users on the Nexus. Failing that, unique NPCs or recruitable mercenaries, any other good ways/places to expand my team?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 01, 2018, 12:11:48 pm »

I use recruitable prisoners as well. It's still working, I think, but a lot of prisoners ask for astronomical amounts of money to join you. The best way to recruit people is by freeing slaves. But if you're not going for an Anti-Slaver playthrough, the next best bet is to check out bars, there's always plenty of drifters willing to join you, although most will charge a small fee upfront.

EDIT: Although, even if you aren't doing an anti slaver playthrough, you can also free the Reavers' combat slaves, who usually come with a decent amount of skills. I wouldn't go up against the Reavers unless you're pretty high leveled yourself though (50s in combat stats)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:13:47 pm by Glloyd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 01, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »

I do find it a little galling that you start at 1 in everything as a Greenlander, whereas all the guards start in the upper 60s. Sort of a disconnect between "teh realism" and "gameiness." And again one part that makes me really feel the old school MMO influence.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:32:27 pm by nenjin »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 01, 2018, 12:36:58 pm »

I do find it a little galling that you start at 1 in everything as a Greenlander, whereas all the guards start in the upper 60s. Sort of a disconnect between "teh realism" and "gameiness."

i actually enjoy it, but im also the kind of guy who loves the Gothic series and ELEX and other early game hells. this is the kind of game where if you do this, you gotta think outside the gaming box.

like, if i woke up in a world of badasses with a stick and the clothes on my back, id start with making some money. oh, coppers worth money, maybe ill hit up this node near town for safety and some cash. boring as shit, but hey. then with the profits, i hire a fellow rookie from the bar. now we're both mining, eyyyy. grab some food and another bro/sis. and so on. gives a real feeling of accomplishment after you've gathered a large group and are somehow keeping them fed while you look for the promised land to build on.

i'm giving the game a slight break until they release the last big patch tho, so the map's complete. i want to settle somewhere not racist happy river land nor desert death land of sheks.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 01, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »

You always have the Cannibal Coast
Love, scriver~

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 01, 2018, 01:44:15 pm »

I do find it a little galling that you start at 1 in everything as a Greenlander, whereas all the guards start in the upper 60s. Sort of a disconnect between "teh realism" and "gameiness."

i actually enjoy it, but im also the kind of guy who loves the Gothic series and ELEX and other early game hells. this is the kind of game where if you do this, you gotta think outside the gaming box.

like, if i woke up in a world of badasses with a stick and the clothes on my back, id start with making some money. oh, coppers worth money, maybe ill hit up this node near town for safety and some cash. boring as shit, but hey. then with the profits, i hire a fellow rookie from the bar. now we're both mining, eyyyy. grab some food and another bro/sis. and so on. gives a real feeling of accomplishment after you've gathered a large group and are somehow keeping them fed while you look for the promised land to build on.

i'm giving the game a slight break until they release the last big patch tho, so the map's complete. i want to settle somewhere not racist happy river land nor desert death land of sheks.

The new map section is in. It's just on the experimental branch. It's been available for the last couple weeks though, well worth checking out. There's some really cool regions there.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #553 on: October 01, 2018, 02:24:01 pm »

You can always dive into the editor and whip up a custom start for yourself.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #554 on: October 03, 2018, 12:01:40 pm »

I personally like the leviathan coast since the monsters are mostly willing to live and let live, but kill those that attack it.

I actually survived my first cannibal raid after they carried the three people the kidnapped through a swarm of raptors and attacked the raptors, quickly leading to all of them dying and my people waking up surrounded by snacking dinosaurs.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 68