Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178888 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #525 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:01 pm »

I think I might play a game as a stealth robot. May go with the Rock Bottom start too...

Because then he can sneak his way into Black Desert City and steal even stealthier limbs.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 03, 2018, 02:46:36 pm »

Throwaway game is going pretty well. Tried a bit of burglary but I was so horrible at lockpicking I spent the night crouched in front of a door muttering curses. Started hanging out by the gates sizing up things that wandered passed. Tried stealth ko a bandit to loot it, got caught, ran back to the gates and hid like a coward while the guards sorted it out. Did that until I had about 6,000 cats. Only really got my ass kicked when I tried to hunt some goats.

Now I won a barfight and found out one of the belligerents has a bounty and I'm currently carrying his ass to prison.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #527 on: July 03, 2018, 03:18:48 pm »

What kind of longterm achievements can you pursue once you've learned to be self-sufficient? How does diplomacy work? I've never played a game like this before and can't really understand the gameplay from the tutorials and graphics alone.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 03, 2018, 04:06:59 pm »

A lot of this game is a work in progress; even the map, where a quarter of it is blocked by an invisible barrier.

Diplomacy is incredibly simple. Trading with them (manually), turning in bounties to them (For HN/UC), and otherwise cooperating will increase relations. Attacking, stealing, and otherwise committing crimes will decrease it.

Some factions you can join up with upright, such as the smugglers and ninjas; but doing so will tank your reputation with their enemies.

When you build a town (or anything that triggers the "town is here" flag), factions will occasionally pay visits, which can be good or bad, depending on the faction. Traders will bring goods for trade, bandits will make demands (and/or attack), United Cities will demand "rent", Holy Nation will send in missionaries (and purge treacherous infidels, horned devils, skeletal demons, dark-skinned monsters, and heretical feminists), cannibals will just want to eat you, and so on.

Relations between any factions that aren't you are locked in i.e. Holy Nation will always kill skeletons and Slavers will always be allied with the Trader's Guild, etc.

Other than that, all you can really do is build an ever-growing pile of loot, become a one-humanoid army, or explore the world.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:13:08 pm by Blaze »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 03, 2018, 04:38:23 pm »

even with all that, i still had a ton of fun building a self sufficient fortress and making outer heaven Fort Jimbo and filling it with an army. i put my main character in his own 1st squad and any "unique" followers join him there. the 2nd squad is the suicide squad; rookies and veteran warriors who defend the fort and do some side jobs. the 3rd squads for all laborers, miners, smiths, crafters, farmers, etc they all go here.

I once got as far as fending off holy nation assaults (all are welcome in fort jimbo) easily using a airlock gate with crossbow turret lv 5s and my armored elites waiting for them on the other side.

to keep up with all this (i do lose guys), i have the recruit prisoners and 256 recruit limit mods, so i'll send the leader and his entourage out to all the towns recruiting newbies.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 03, 2018, 11:17:18 pm »

Enjoying the game so far. One major complaint is that like Dwarf Fortress I really appreciate is that I start out as a punk and progress to a dangerous badass but the progression itself is pretty unsatisfying. Running with a heavy pack and spycrabbing your way to competence works great in a Montage and maybe in a game that was more like the Sims but it's not an exciting experience.

edit: I think the big difference between Kenshi and DF adventure mode is that combat feels "difficult" rather than "brutal." In DF one fuck-up by you or the enemy can end the fight, the system rewards cunning and dirty fighting even if you don't happen to be particularly tough. And that swings both ways, combat is deadly serious even when you outclass an enemy. Despite the many ways Kenshi eschews traditional paradigms the combat seems to be very much the standard your numbers v. their numbers with the addition that the encounters are not balanced around what you can handle. Very morrowindesque.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:42:13 am by Broseph Stalin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 04, 2018, 01:40:23 pm »

I just managed to beat my first squad of starving bandits. They were nine, my troupe three and two puppy dogs. Cut them down like club-armed grass.

Feels good man.

edit: For some reason my dog just suddenly stopped being able to move through open doors.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:23:15 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 04, 2018, 11:45:05 pm »

Try using "shift-f12", that will bring up the in-game editor, then use the command "fix stuff".  That should rectify any errors, if that doesn't work: save, exit completely, and reload.  If neither of those work then your bonedog has grown too large to enter the structure, which is a rare occurrence, but does happen.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 05, 2018, 06:36:26 am »

ctrl+shift+f11 (I think?) will regenerate the path grid (warning! slow!). This often fixes such issues.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:02 am »

I built a tiny settlement in the Stenn desert (attempting to settle in the Vain did not go well.)

Meow and the three former slaves I freed set to work climbing up from nothing to proper tech. We survived two Shek attacks and a couple bonedog packs, and Meow looted a ruin.

Meow by this point had like 50 science skill, and apparently gained kilometer-wide radar skills or something for surveying. That, combined with the goal of finding a more fertile settlement (ideally allowing for more frequent slave rescues), meant it would soon be time to move on.

Luckily for us, a wandering animal merchant showed up and sold us a Pack Bull. With him, we were able to load up all of the iron we'd produced, and to tear down all our machines for good measure.

We left just the empty buildings, the well, and the windmill. Perhaps to provide a shelter for someone else in a time of need.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 07, 2018, 05:07:15 am »

Slave traders are walking into town, destroying my door, and taking my prisoners while the guards do not respond. Installing a mod to rip out people's hearts to correct the issue.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 10, 2018, 12:02:01 pm »

Made it all the way up to Sinkuun, and then decided "I know, we'll set up shop in the Darkfinger! How bad can a few cannibals be?"

The answer was very.

I thought I found a perfect box plateau, with only one real access path up from the valley floor. Barely got some walls up before swarms of cannibals showed up. They tore down the gate and ate everyone.

Going to have to reload and run back to Sinkuun, or maybe Bast.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 10, 2018, 12:34:55 pm »

Protip: Bast has cannibals :D
Love, scriver~

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 16, 2018, 02:19:03 pm »

So we settled in the inland valley side of the Leviathan Coast.

Me, Burn, and the eight slaves I had freed unloaded the pack mule and set up camp. Our site had both supurb stone production and a decent iron mine, so we soon had a full industrial facility up and running.

However, that tied up all the iron we'd brought with us, leaving nothing for even the most basic turret defenses.

A swarm of scrawny cannibals arrived, and we had only a few minutes to prepare. None of my team were real fighters, though. With little choice, we grabbed the weapons we had and prepared to fight to the last. Our opening volley of crossbow bolts were ineffective, and soon there was a roiling melee.

It was chaotic, and though green, my troops managed to inflict substantial losses on the cannibals. Finally, they fled, grabbing three of our wounded in the retreat, including our main medic.

HOWEVER! Not far from our base, the fleeing cannibals ran right into a pack of Swamp Raptors. The raptors hadn't bothered our base, but either they were enraged at the smell of blood or the Cannibals attacked them too, because there was a bloodbath. I don't think a single cannibal escaped the rage of the raptors. My unconscious characters, however, were not further harmed by the animals, and my medic woke up, patched himself up, and carried the other character back to the base.

Somehow, we managed not to take any permanent losses, not even any limbs! (Though it was touch and go for a while.)

As the raptors ate their fill, Burn the robot crept around the carnage and collected the cannibals' weaponry. Smelting it down, we will make the first of our turrets.

Hmm... I wonder if I can make a skybridge to connect two buildings. I want to have turrets that can fire directly at enemies on the door.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:02:49 pm by PTTG?? »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 16, 2018, 03:32:24 pm »

I must say, this game seems amazing at creating compelling stories.

I've had the game on my wishlist since December 2016 (damn, time goes by quickly) just waiting to get the message that it's finally come out of early access.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 68