Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lignite/Bituminous coal rarity?  (Read 11304 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Lignite/Bituminous coal rarity?
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:57:47 pm »

In all my forts, I've never had this much trouble finding either one. Has the rarity changed on these?
I've been exploratory minining several layers of limestone/rock salt, like around 10, and have come up totally dry, with the constant goblin presence, I really need a mass fuel option so I can start putting metal armor on these guys. I also haven't really found anything that looks like iron. hundreds of copper though..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:59:37 pm by crossmr »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Lignite/Bituminous coal rarity?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:59:42 pm »

I have found a site with mudstone and gypsum laters containing coal. I think it is usually in the same maps as bauxite (also found in this embark)
Soaplent green is goblins!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »

Coal and lignite are now treated as metals, so their rarity has been increased. Use magma and charcoal for steel instead.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:08:54 pm »

I rarely have trouble getting it, it always seems (Ironically, perhaps.) that the moment I dig out my metal forge areas, I hit a huge vein of lignite (I prefer to separate my non-magma metal stuff from my normal workshops) But yeah, it does seem that rarity has increased somewhat.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

Coal and lignite are now treated as metals, so their rarity has been increased. Use magma and charcoal for steel instead.

Wow..so much wrong with that..
I can't reliably get outside due to the basically constant goblin presence. While the military is training, all I can equip them with are some found/bought weapons, and a few random pieces of armor I've managed to collect, mostly wooden. I have some charcoal, but burning the amount necessary to make steel outfits for 10 guys, just isn't there. I could get some of them into copper gear, but is that enough to reliably fend off goblins?
As such I certainly have to be extremely careful going down, as I wouldn't be able to fend off any cavern monsters either. So Magma is a ways off now too.
But furthermore, I said in the OP that I haven't hit a single piece of iron yet either. It's like I've been totally gypped on my sedimentary layers. It's got none of the good stuff at all. But I've got like 30 z-levels of marble.. so useful right now..

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:46:54 pm »

oh the irony, lots of flux but no steel.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:35:39 pm »

The (slow, but reliable) answer on fuel is to carve out your entire soil layer as a huge tree farm. And perhaps wall off a large section of cavern as well. With getting good metal, my only advice is that bauxite seems to coincide with iron / coal.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »

I also have trouble finding coal of any kind, as well as iron.

If you don't have access to metals and really need armor, massacre your puppy population and make leather armor and shields.

You also don't need to go into the caverns to access the GMS. Just dig straight down, walling off any breaches and diverting your staircase where necessary.

I could get some of them into copper gear, but is that enough to reliably fend off goblins?

In my experience, goblins are incredibly weak. A single dwarf in a full suit of copper armor with 2 layers can waste an entire goblin siege.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

If your dwarves are properly trained, they can literally fight naked and massacre the crocs some of the Gobs ride in on, as well as the squad with it.

One of my last fortresses had a gal with only one working arm holding a silver shortsword and various bits of copper armor.  You know what killed her?  NUMBERS.  That's all.  One on one fight?  She'd win easily.  Two on one?  She'd still massacre.  Four on one?  She was still winning.  Eight on one?  She took two with her, but they got her.

If you don't have excellent materials, proper training CAN work miracles.

EDIT:  And if you're able to get traders into your place, put in requests for steel to make stuff with, as well as steel weapons and armor.  Never forget the power of the import.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »

I also have trouble finding coal of any kind, as well as iron.

If you don't have access to metals and really need armor, massacre your puppy population and make leather armor and shields.

You also don't need to go into the caverns to access the GMS. Just dig straight down, walling off any breaches and diverting your staircase where necessary.

I could get some of them into copper gear, but is that enough to reliably fend off goblins?

In my experience, goblins are incredibly weak. A single dwarf in a full suit of copper armor with 2 layers can waste an entire goblin siege.

They are still training right now,
level 4 axe dwarves, level 6 fighters, level 1 shield users
which sucks, they've all had shields and bucklers for a long time now
they have no dodging to speak of..despite the numerous dodging demonstrations they've watched.

usually if a dwarf caravan or human one comes in, they'll take out the current goblins and I can grab a few pieces of wood.

I did breach a cavern earlier, so I'm getting some cap now, but it's growing VERY slowly. I can't even make bronze, I haven't found Cassiterite. I've got one guy in mostly armor pieces I've put together, and I think I can give him a steel axe that I bought, but half of them are still naked. I've been throwing wooden armor from the slaughtered elven caravans onto them just to give them some armor user practice.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »

If your dwarves are properly trained, they can literally fight naked and massacre the crocs some of the Gobs ride in on, as well as the squad with it.

One of my last fortresses had a gal with only one working arm holding a silver shortsword and various bits of copper armor.  You know what killed her?  NUMBERS.  That's all.  One on one fight?  She'd win easily.  Two on one?  She'd still massacre.  Four on one?  She was still winning.  Eight on one?  She took two with her, but they got her.

If you don't have excellent materials, proper training CAN work miracles.

EDIT:  And if you're able to get traders into your place, put in requests for steel to make stuff with, as well as steel weapons and armor.  Never forget the power of the import.
Yes, I requested it, but my liaison got slaughtered after our meeting..so I don't know if the request got through..
it isn't a siege, it's just unending ambushes.. I basically can't step outside without an ambush showing up. Migrants have to be let into the fort through a couple doors, depending on where they pop and where the goblins are coming from.

When a caravan comes and slaughters them, I run out, grab a few trees and bodies and lock the door again.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Some general advice:

Picks make quite good axes (about as good as battle axes), and it is fairly easy to get a legendary miner

Silver warhammers do about as well as addy battle axes even vs unarmored foes, and silver is extremely common.

Copper makes the best (non-mood) crossbows and shields, and does quite well for bolts (especially since when you have copper you have a practically unlimited supply of it).

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »

Thanks. I Wasn't sure where Silver ranked since it's not on the armor table and the weapons wiki doesn't list a material ranking that I can see.

What does the "x" mean on items? I can't seem to find that, and it's damn near impossible to search. but if I have:
x fur hat x
can I Trade it?
it doesn't seem to be a quality level

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 09:49:56 pm »

What does the "x" mean on items? I can't seem to find that, and it's damn near impossible to search. but if I have:
x fur hat x

It means your items are wearing down.
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.
Pages: [1] 2 3