Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Make A Forum Game.  (Read 1700 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
How To Make A Forum Game.
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:29:51 pm »

Note: This is going to be based around MSPA style forum games, since I have the most experience with them. I think someone more skilled with RPs and forum games could write up something, and I would happily add it. For now, just MSPA style things.

I hope someone can sticky this.

ADVENTURE GAMES: Step by step.

Some general guidelines and some things you need. Remember, this isn't the only way to do things. Elitism forms from idiots shouting at people saying that the only way that is right is their way. I am perfectly happy if your first game is the worst you are x game ever, just please don't repeat it for every game you make. There are no rules, just tips.

1: A good idea. This is essential. Remember, You Are X games are baaaaad ideas, and should only be your first game to get used to this kind of stuff. Parodies are worse. A good game would be Fugue State, which has a good spin on amnesia style stories by having an actual medical condition that, however temporary, still creates mystery. A bad one would have to be one of my own, Scavenger Tale, which was fun but had no direction. Plus, it was just fuel for my love of post-apocalyptic things. Also, severe railroading. Remember, drawing is optional and accepted!

2: Plan it out, keep going and have an end. Don't railroad, though. Plan everything, and have an active noggin on your shoulders. This is where You Are games fail. What do you do after the initial novelty? Short but sweet is good. Don't worry, you'll make your epic "You Are Lawerence Of Arabia!!!!!!!1111" soon. Problem Sleuth was great for this. Jailbreak, however...

3: FRAK. RANDOM. HUMOR. Proud surrealists (Me.) will despise you utterly, people will think you are an offense to idiots with your pirate ninja zombie mindfeth and only random people will like you, and trust me, you must not be liked by these kind of people. There are so many examples I cannot list them, it's like counting litter. A good example of surrealism/a post modern mindscrew is the always favorite Don't Trust The Rainbow Snail.

4: Paint the world you are making, but don't show it fully. Take the Zeno Clash route and make an unusual and unexplained world to explore. The locals must laugh at the player for asking what a blue ranged popaklam is, and have the parser mock similiarly.

5: Love your players. Love their little funny commands, their way of writing, their avatars, their beautiful font that everyone uses but it suits them so well... Love them, because they will follow your journey into a world of adventure, fear and strangeness. Be their guide, like the guide who led the explorer up Everest, and their guiding hand. Ignore the stupid commands, they mean nothing. Remember, stupid is asking to kill the adamantium golem with your fists. It's not dwarfy. That is suicide. Dwarfy is to improvise a weapon using only a sock, a pick and a bucket of magma.

6: Stick to your rules. Nothing is more annoying then constantly changing rules. Again, Scacvenger Tale was guilty of this.

7: Have a nice epilogue. We all love that.

Critize, add and whatever. Just tell me what to do.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:17:56 pm by Fniff »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Make A Forum Game.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:33:38 pm »

Optionally: Learn to draw. Pictures are always awesome.
Not so optionally: Keep going. I've seen quite some awesome games end because they didn't get updated.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:37:48 pm »

Optionally: Learn to draw. Pictures are always awesome.
Not so optionally: Keep going. I've seen quite some awesome games end because they didn't get updated.

Added!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »

1: Eh. I am not so sure a guide telling people how to run their games is needed. Sure, the forum games is filled with crap, but the market takes care of that with good games living, bad games dieing, and bad games that can become good games becoming good games.

2: Even for something as simple as an adventure game, you need most of all, RULES! Rules are truly what make and break games around here. Make your rule set and stick with it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 02:41:24 pm »

1: Eh. I am not so sure a guide telling people how to run their games is needed. Sure, the forum games is filled with crap, but the market takes care of that with good games living, bad games dieing, and bad games that can become good games becoming good games.

2: Even for something as simple as an adventure game, you need most of all, RULES! Rules are truly what make and break games around here. Make your rule set and stick with it.

Well, I don't want new people to be frightened by forum games. Believe me, I was terrified by my first one. I always worry when I post a game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »

Yes, but I question that a guide will make that any better. It implies, to me, that we have some sorta standards around here that we want people to live up too.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:43:52 pm »

Yes, but I question that a guide will make that any better. It implies, to me, that we have some sorta standards around here that we want people to live up too.

Hmm. I'll change it to general guidelines.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »

Augh. That is not what I meant. Guide, guidelines, tutorial, bible, whatever you call it, it will be the same things and have the same issues.

It will scare away people from making new games, which will clean out a bunch of the crap, but also throw out any gems. And it will make it seem like we are not open to just anyone starting a game. It isolates and makes us seem elitists.

but most of all, it makes it so people think they have to make games ONE way.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 03:03:02 pm »

Hmm..

That is an issue.

I'll edit it more.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »

I think some people would appreciate the advice to be honest!

I believe stressing that there is no wrong answers and perhaps saying they are tips not rules may help!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »

Added!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »

It isolates and makes us seem elitists.
Wait a second, Bay12 isn't elitists?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »

I know elitists. We aren't.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:15:53 am »

Ehhhh.... I know at least some who think that. But, really, this is most likely not the best place to get in this.

At anyrate: "You Are X games are baaaaad ideas" Why?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 06:25:28 am »

Ehhhh.... I know at least some who think that. But, really, this is most likely not the best place to get in this.

At anyrate: "You Are X games are baaaaad ideas" Why?

They never go anywhere, it is hard to keep the novelty going for long, thought isn't really put into them and there is more then enough.
Pages: [1] 2