Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Boatmurdered in D&D  (Read 8093 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered in D&D
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »

D&D would actually be cool if they made a campaign that did away with all the fighter/rogue/ninja crap and enforced classes like "Soapmaker", "Glassblower" and "Milkmaid"

There is a game with classes like that.

Sadly, that game is FATAL
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 11:20:59 pm »

I ran a portion of a D&D campaign in a fortress that I designed, but didn't quite finish. Specifically, I never did manage to cast an obsidian rock bridge across the chasm. I did model the entrance corridor of not-cheesy death: A long tunnel, with a drawbridge across the chasm and ballistae at the end next to the trade depot. Also: the cistern.

Advice: anything that doesn't have anything of interest (like the cistern) should not be visible to the player characters. Engravings are awesome ways of telling a story within the game, but cannot be easily ad-libbed (at least by me). D&D players will always loot the tomb, and always assume that a level-appropriate undead creature guards the treasure; provide an appropriate guardian, who will be defeated. Wait until later to reveal that whatever they stole is horribly and appropriately cursed: it functions normally, but also has a negative effect related either to its function or the defilement of the dead. The suit of adamantine plate armor that prevents healing of any kind while it is worn, or the limestone bed that is surprisingly comfortable and allows deep, restful sleep filled with fatal nightmares would be interesting artifacts.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:44 am »

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=713

I believe Shamus shows us how it works rather well
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 01:10:09 am »

If you recreated the history of boatmurdered you could explore all the options already discussed, just pick some event that when finished causes a shift to a new chapter/point in boatmurdered's history.
Start with the founding, your 7 guys found it, events happening during teh early years, wars with elves, maybe they go off with a caravan, or go invade elven lands etc, they come back share teh spoils, theres a siege, invasions from teh underground, tantrum spirals, etc, then hell is breached leading to deaths of most of the fort. The PCs recover escape,barely. later return, reclaim, build the place up, then theres political intregue, factions form, you get a loyalty cascade and everyone dies again.
Later an adventurer visits the city and is intregued by the "Two-dimentionality" of the place... The camera zooms out and reveals in shock, that the world is in 0.31!
And a hand crawls out of the ground, sheathed in a gauntlet, carved from raw addy menacing with spikes of goblin bone, inscribed with images... The camera zooms untill it's clear, It's the arm of SANKIS himself, fear!"
credits roll, a sequal is being planned... wait you said DND? i thought you means F grade horror movie.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:00:15 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 03:19:56 am »

I remember reading somewhere about a guy who did run his players through a one-off adventure set in a dwarf fortress, it was a fort he had made himself. (one guy who was a DF player figured it out at the start when the DM described the nonsensical engravings covering the road to the fort, but he agreed not to spoil it for the others) He described how to adventurers the layout of a dwarven fortress just didn't make any sense. They got lost in the plumbing looking for treasure. They spent a long time fiddling about with levers that made strange distant grating noises and getting incredibly paranoid about traps, but all it really was was the old farm irrigation system.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 03:36:04 am »

They spent a long time fiddling about with levers that made strange distant grating noises and getting incredibly paranoid about traps, but all it really was was the old farm irrigation system.

Of course, many forts have been lost to people activating irrigation systems by mistake when they were no longer needed...
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 03:40:25 am »

every fort needs a magma irrigation system just in case pesky adventurers show up 100 years later and start randomly touching stuff
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:04 am »

D&D would actually be cool if they made a campaign that did away with all the fighter/rogue/ninja crap and enforced classes like "Soapmaker", "Glassblower" and "Milkmaid"

There is a game with classes like that.

Sadly, that game is FATAL

Risus the Anything RPG.
Hairdressers are deadly.
Applicable for dwarfdom.

Ganegrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »

um... have you ever played dnd?
You need more people for that.

Do you want to be a player, or the dungeon master?
You would also have to ban clerics, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerors, bards, and tons of other stuff.

What is it exactly that you want?

There is no reason dwarves cant be all those classes

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 04:18:34 pm »

You would also have to ban clerics, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerors, bards, and tons of other stuff.

druids

What do you think we are, elves?!!?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:22 pm »

Dwarves cannot be bards.
They can, however, can be beards.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 05:32:34 pm »

They use magic. No magic in DF.

And about dwarf druid... dude, get real.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 06:10:36 pm »

Clearcutting a forest for the sole purpose of making Potash is in fact, powerful druid magic.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 02:25:43 am »

A ruined fortress, aged a few hundred years or so, partially caved in, flooded, with ancient dwarven machinery semi-functional (but unreliably functional), would be an outstanding dungeon to delve into.

Boatmurdered would be an ideal ruin for an adventuring party to try to explore or reclaim.

There are traps, mazes, treasure, and horrors in the dungeon. There could be goblins, demons, or undead in the dungeon.

Exploring it could slowly reveal tiny bits and pieces of the history of Boatmurdered (don't show them the Boatmurdered story up front, that ruins the surprise!) and as they delve deeper, the madness slowly builds, along with the danger and of course the treasure. Ancient dwarven crafts are highly valuable.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 04:22:27 am »

I think the ruins of Boatmurdered would be a fantastic module. Think about it. It could be held by elephant men, and as you delve deeper inside, you see the ancient, blood stained engraving of various dwarves getting elephowned.

Maybe a forgotten beast with elephantine features for the endboss.

...Yeah, I may have to attempt to make this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3